PDA

View Full Version : Current A6 owner needs some love for future RS6 purchase

blmlozz
November 20th, 2012, 23:21
Hi everyone, I've been trolling around for a few days now, and I must say I'm impressed with how tight-knit this community is, with that said I'm hopeful you might be able to give a current Avant owner some tips on what it's like to own these cars.

Generally, I'm trying to decide between an E39 or a C5 RS6. Essentially the turning point comes at the decision whether the RS6 would turn into a money pit and if it's going to be as special to drive as the E39.

There are a few factors that complicate this question however. Foremost being that my VAG wrenching experience is vast.. I've owned a B5 A4/S4 and currently own a C5 Avant.

needless to say, The RS6 would likely prove to provide little difficulity (other than working around a twin turbo V8) for me in repairing/diagnosing.

The second being that I swore I wouldn't buy another automatic 'fun' car again, and we'll.. the RS6 doesn't fit that bill from the get-go and the M5 does. It's true I would be using this as my DD, and I did like the auto V better in that respect, and I also like the paddles on the RS6 (being that they're *real* paddles and not after-thoughts like on the V).. However.. as I'm sure you'll agree, there's simply no replacement for a clutch pedal.

So the questions;

a) generally, I'd like to figure out if my 99 2.8 Avant is somewhat similar to what it's like to drive a C5.

I find the Pedal extremely soft, and it doesn't seem to really have a hard stopping point, it's possible something's wrong with my car but I've also seen the old reviews indicate the 8 pots have a soft initial travel. Note that my car has fresh pads and fresh fluid.

I find the steering to be fairly dead, and it's very boosted, there's *some* feedback, but currently owning a 2012 CTS-V, there's oobviously little comparison. I know the RS6 has aluminum uprights (and possibly a different rack?) so I'd like to know if this is any different.

Also, I've always found that the understeer point on this generation of quattro is fairly early.. and it sort of spoils the fun. How much of a difference will some swaybars and suspension help in correcting this?

Lastly, how's the power delivery with the 4.2? The most thing I loved about my APB was that it was visceral and kicked you in the pants, it felt a lot faster than it was. By comparison, my CTSV has 506whp.. and it's so smooth It's hard to get excited rowing through the gears.

b) The goal of the car is essentially to go autocrossing and maybe some controlled HPDE's.. nothing professional or even ameature , purely recreational. Still.. I'd like you to keep this in mind for the following;
As far as cost of ownership is for this car, is it going to kill me? As stated prior, the work I can do myself, but parts costs will be a concern, and the major parts that get stressed for stuff like this are also the weakest, and seem to cost the most. Don't get me wrong, I like wrenching on my car, even if it's to fix something, but when I see people with 4,5,6 or 9K in repairs for the trans multiple times, it concerns me. At that point I might as well garage it until I can swap an 01E, and if it's garaged I'm not enjoying the car..

Eventually, I'd like to covert it to an 01E anyway..I saw the thread where someone is offering a conversion set for $2100 but I haven't found an acutal swap thread, fab work is not my strong suite. Is this something I can bolt on with a6 drivetrain with someone to tune the ABS/ESP back in or will it require some custom work? I would think it would be considering what I know about the powertrain, but you never know until you do the deed..

C) do you generally have any regrets of ownership? Which would you personally choose?
I've gone over the pros and cons of both, including the rarity of this vehicle, which means the nearly non-existiant aftermarket and the fact that there's a lot of 'OEM' modifications I could do that could easily buy me a supercharged E39 by itself.

it also means insurance will be high, and It may become an abyss of cash by shear fact that there's so much expensive stuff I would want to do with it (recaro seats, RNS-E, brake upgrades, upgraded turbos, things of that nature.. aside from the $8K 01E swap..)

Generally, I'd like to know, compared to the other vehicle's you own how 'special' the RS6 makes you feel. I have a tingle right now, the idea of owning something more rare than the Gallardo at cars and coffee, of a twin turbo V8, and wrenching on a VAG again, but I've made impulse buy's on what I 'Thought' I was buying and then I acutally had to live with it for a year. My only real car love was a B5 S4.. it was visceral, it was small and tossable and it made me feel good.

If the RS6 drives like the S4 I'd be hooked. If It doesn't though, I don't think I'll be able to made the move based on the 'idea' of the car again and I'd pick the safer E39..it's already well established to be 'the defacto' super sedan.

Thank you for your time!

4.2Crew
November 20th, 2012, 23:34
Wow!... Lot's of talking points. First off:

Where are you located?

blmlozz
November 20th, 2012, 23:47
haha, I had a lot to think about while waiting for my account to be cleared, and my thread over on audizine made me scratch my head on some oher things.

I'm located in Suffolk, VA.

there are a few for sale ~ 2hours away. Naturally that's a long drive..

lswing
November 21st, 2012, 00:36
Torque beast, awd, paddle shifting, money pit:)...nuf said...puts a hurt on the E60, steering is more responsive too...

November 21st, 2012, 00:57
If I didn't need Quattro, I would have put a 1000 hp blower motor in my Vic. That said, GOD I LOVE THIS CAR!!...so smooth, so competent and I can't get it to slip for nothing. It has become my DD, and if it needs 6-10k for maintenance, so be it.

Perfect car for my environment. You have to be the judge for yours.

November 21st, 2012, 01:27

So within a 240 mile range, right?

JSRS6
November 21st, 2012, 04:05
i live in vb, but mines not for sale.

ben916
November 21st, 2012, 05:48
haha, I had a lot to think about while waiting for my account to be cleared, and my thread over on audizine made me scratch my head on some oher things.

I'm located in Suffolk, VA.

Hi and I am over here also :)
LOTS of great information and several for sale

JSRS6
November 21st, 2012, 11:43
Hi and I am over here also :)

Confused...

Jimmy
November 21st, 2012, 13:19
I you already have a CTSV .... ? They're great cars. These old dawgs might disappoint you.

An E39 is equally as cool; just not AWD , not for one year , and not 1 of 800 or so cars for the USA.

blmlozz
November 21st, 2012, 13:24
I have considered this as well, but I have to get rid of the v to free up some cash. I do miss my old B5 truthfully..I'm hoping some of that nostalgea will resonate with the C5.

JS, do you go to Jenroes or any other of the local get togethers?

4.2Crew
November 21st, 2012, 13:25
Confused...

:confused:

I'm confused as well. I inquired where he was located due to a "Cars n' Coffee" comment in the OP.... Just thought he may be from MN?

blmlozz
November 21st, 2012, 13:28
Cars and coffee is national :P

theres a gallardo superleggera over in va beach here

ben posted over in my poll post on audizine.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/513451-C5-RS6-E39-M5-or-CTS-V

4.2Crew
November 21st, 2012, 14:13
For me, purchasing a RS6 made no rational sense at all:

---Owned a 2001 4.2L sport for 10 years and 240k miles prior and was getting sick of working on it every other weekend.
---At some point, the tranny/TC will grenade themselves with a cost of rebuild/replacement equivalent of a nice used Accord/Camry.
---Many 1-2hr DIY repairs on other cars require an engine drop on the beast
---I could've purchased a brand new beige ________ with full warranty like the rest of my suburbanite neighbors for the same price as a 10 year-old RS6.
---The maint/repair demons of the RS6 are well known and documented---why be masochistic?

Why did I do it?... I've had a driver's license for 35 years:

---This is the ONLY car I've driven with the radio "off" more than "on."
---Every time I walk into the garage, I catch myself staring at the damn thing.
---The deceivingly smooth power and acceleration is as intoxicating and addictive now as it was on day 1.
---The car is the definition of a "Wolf in sheep's clothing."
---At 80mph, it's quiet and serene... Give it the beans, it rumbles, it's now 140mph.
---I look forward to a 30 mile daily commute.

4.2Crew
November 21st, 2012, 14:23
Cars and coffee is national :P

I'm aware of this... Just thought I'd ask.

Good luck.

amanda
November 21st, 2012, 17:00

---Owned a 2001 4.2L sport for 10 years and 240k miles prior and was getting sick of working on it every other weekend.
---At some point, the tranny/TC will grenade themselves with a cost of rebuild/replacement equivalent of a nice used Accord/Camry.
---I could've purchased a brand new beige ________ with full warranty like the rest of my suburbanite neighbors for the same price as a 10 year-old RS6.
---The maint/repair demons of the RS6 are well known and documented---why be masochistic?

---The deceivingly smooth power and acceleration is as intoxicating and addictive now as it was on day 1.
---At 80mph, it's quiet and serene... Give it the beans, it rumbles, it's now 140mph.

I feel the same for most of the above reasons and a few more of my own ;)

ben916
November 21st, 2012, 19:19
I feel the same for most of the above reasons and a few more of my own ;)

Could it be the 850lb/tq?!?!? :)

amanda
November 21st, 2012, 19:35
Could it be the 850lb/tq?!?!? :)

750 lb/tq or 950 nm for us euro lot and YES that just makes me love her even more ........she may be a 10 yr old girl now but I don't know very many exotics that have that even from new, be they a day old car or 10 yrs old one!!

November 22nd, 2012, 00:42

'nuff said !!!

Spidercat
November 22nd, 2012, 00:49
^^+2
You're really doing you homework on this purchase! Gotta admire that. :idea:

Am I glad I bought my car, and would I do it all over again? Yes, without any hesitation.

It just feels "special," and makes me happy every time I drive it. It is quite a bit larger/heavier than a B5, of course. It's also my DD, and reliability hasn't been a big issue thusfar.

Re: brakes, I think the brake "feel" has a lot to do with your pad choice.

I wish you luck with your choice!

blmlozz
November 22nd, 2012, 14:37
thanks everyone.

Here's another question; how's headroom with a helmet? I'm ~ 6' 2"

In the B5 I litertally had to cock my head at a slight angle to fit in there with just a half-shell :(

The Avant has enough room-- bearly-- with the sunroof, but it has the comfort seats.

JSRS6
November 22nd, 2012, 20:01
JS, do you go to Jenroes or any other of the local get togethers?

i ocassionally go to haygood shopping center, but its a little juvenile. been busy with life and the daughter since i got back from the box.

im available today and tomorrow if you want to come out this way. Bring your helmet, lol, so you can check for clearance.

lswing
November 22nd, 2012, 21:12
I'm 6', keep my seat a bit high, hair practically touches, low I would say...

ben916
November 22nd, 2012, 22:01
My service advisor at Hoenh in Carlsbad was 6'8" and about 260lb... He fit in my car

November 22nd, 2012, 23:40
If helmet clearance is an issue, well, you may want to consider the kanuter valve replacement intervals also...along with the lack of a windshield washer pressure sensor monitor. ;)

blmlozz
November 23rd, 2012, 00:52
i ocassionally go to haygood shopping center, but its a little juvenile. been busy with life and the daughter since i got back from the box.

im available today and tomorrow if you want to come out this way. Bring your helmet, lol, so you can check for clearance.

I agree, I haven't been out in a while, I just don't know of anything else out that way really.

Thanks! I may take you up on your offer tomorrow, I'll PM you for your cell or we'll figure something out.

If helmet clearance is an issue, well, you may want to consider the kanuter valve replacement intervals also...along with the lack of a windshield washer pressure sensor monitor.
lol, eye see what you did there.

eanders
November 25th, 2012, 02:32
I couldn't agree more with this post... am absolutely amazed every time I drive this car - would think I would be used to it by now. Time in the shop has been an issue (one repair, but the stealership couldn't get it right the first 3 times), but tolerable with the Audi loaner. Gotta love the Fidelity warranty. I'm good for almost 3 years and 34k miles and don't dread the 25 mile commute. I suspect the warranty won't be renewable at 108k and 12 years (come 2016) at which point I'll have a tough decision to make.