PDA

View Full Version : WTB Trans for rebuild $$

lswing
November 9th, 2012, 19:29
Hit me up, got trans?

Want to get back on the road!:revs:

Brav you pulled yours yet? RS6 Queens yours has busted gear right?

ben916
November 9th, 2012, 20:10
Not sure if Mark has his available but it is MUCH closer (not to volunteer Mark's transmission)

lswing
November 9th, 2012, 21:03
Ben, thanks for volunteering Mark's transmission:) I still have his SPS Revo tool that I owe him for, thanks Mark!

I'll arrange pickup of the trans, you might need to have it on a crate, will confirm. Shipping to Tozo...

kevin
November 9th, 2012, 21:04
I'll have a core and an ACE tq on the floor sometime in January.

lswing
November 9th, 2012, 21:30
Thanks, ready to buy now, if I have to wait a few weeks I'll just ship mine out.

lswing
November 9th, 2012, 21:53
Thoughts on a water damaged trans for rebuild?

Shokan has one for $1,500 with TC...anybody want to buy a TC for rebuild, $250?

Brav
November 10th, 2012, 01:46
Mine wont be out for a while.. maybe January at this point :/
Hopefully December

ttboost
November 10th, 2012, 02:02
I think Stephen (speedtrapped) might still have his, Rebuilt, ready to go...

na1mt
November 10th, 2012, 02:32
Speedtrapped's is already spoken for.

November 10th, 2012, 03:01
Thoughts on a water damaged trans for rebuild?

Shokan has one for $1,500 with TC...anybody want to buy a TC for rebuild, $250?

Water damage should be no big deal as it is being rebuilt anyway. But $1500 for a core 5HP24A with TC plus shipping? Yikes!

QuattroRS
November 10th, 2012, 14:54
I would not buy a water damaged trans at any cost. Check genuine for a Audi reman trans.
Water damage should be no big deal as it is being rebuilt anyway. But $1500 for a core 5HP24A with TC plus shipping? Yikes!

ttboost
November 10th, 2012, 21:22
Speedtrapped's is already spoken for.

Hmmm, not the impression I got when he texted me? Is he holding it for you?

November 10th, 2012, 22:00
I've got 2, but not sure where they are headed.....one in Thing 1 for sure.

na1mt
November 10th, 2012, 23:53
He was, but he asked me today if I would mind if he sold it to lswing....so I guess if he wants it it's his.

ttboost
November 11th, 2012, 00:06
Glad I could help...or sorry if I interferred...no sure which...

na1mt
November 11th, 2012, 00:27
......as long as I don't smoke my trans it's all good....lol.

ttboost
November 11th, 2012, 00:32
Right!!! If you have a good TC, you're good..if not....bummer.

November 11th, 2012, 00:33
......as long as I don't smoke my trans it's all good....lol.

Smoke it, bypass it, replace it all

ttboost
November 11th, 2012, 00:43
I'm considering starting to collect manual conversion parts, but having a hard time finding them to collect!!!

lswing
November 11th, 2012, 03:55
Yep, I need one today basically, thanks all. I'll have a extra trans and TC in a few months if anybody needs one to rebuild.

TozoM8
November 11th, 2012, 06:01
I have a core if you want to go that route. I can rebuild it and have it by your door in 8-10 days. I was under the impression that you wanted yours to be rebuilt.

Elevens
November 11th, 2012, 13:07
I have a core if you want to go that route. I can rebuild it and have it by your door in 8-10 days. I was under the impression that you wanted yours to be rebuilt.

What more could you ask for than that. The perfect solution from the Best. Tozo is definitely the rout I'm going should l need it......

lswing
November 12th, 2012, 03:06

Tozo, perfect! Sending you an email, thanks! I was tempted to stick with mine because I know how it's been driven, but the extra wait is too much this winter, and I trust you'll confirm the integrity of the core you are rebuilding. A few weeks would be great!

TozoM8
November 12th, 2012, 03:37
It is the core from Brambo's car.

4.2Crew
November 12th, 2012, 13:39
Tozo,
Just out of curiousisity, is a rebuilt transmission more robust than a virgin oem stocker tranny?... ie: Are there significant updates that occur during a rebuild that address the weak spots? I don't expect any tranny to last forever, but dropping $3k to $6k for a rebuild and having it last another 100k-150k miles in a $20k, 500hp European luxury sedan isn't too bad IMHO... Especially if it's more robust/reliable.

SteveKen
November 12th, 2012, 15:23
I'm considering starting to collect manual conversion parts, but having a hard time finding them to collect!!!

I just bought all the parts (minus the 01E) for my S6 locally for around $600. Only new parts will be the OEM B5 RS4 clutch & pressure plate.

In total, I'll have the car converted for about $2200. This includes a newly rebuilt 01E. Keep in mind that this doesn't require a custom starter, flywheel or adapter. Or a spendy clutch and PP either.

Check www.car-part.com and be patient.

Luckily, I live 7 miles from a big Audi recycler.

hahnmgh63
November 12th, 2012, 15:47
Steve, which version of the 01E are you planning on using? Is the one out of the B7 RS4 the strongest one out there? I know they've had different versions with hardened and/or wider gears than others rated for different torque ratings.

ttboost
November 12th, 2012, 16:05
I just bought all the parts (minus the 01E) for my S6 locally for around $600. Only new parts will be the OEM B5 RS4 clutch & pressure plate.

In total, I'll have the car converted for about $2200. This includes a newly rebuilt 01E. Keep in mind that this doesn't require a custom starter, flywheel or adapter. Or a spendy clutch and PP either.

Check www.car-part.com (http://www.car-part.com) and be patient.

Luckily, I live 7 miles from a big Audi recycler.

Steve, which version of the 01E are you planning on using? Is the one out of the B7 RS4 the strongest one out there? I know they've had different versions with hardened and/or wider gears than others rated for different torque ratings.

Are all these 6 speeds the same? Why do we need an adapter then?

lswing
November 12th, 2012, 16:25
Tozo,
Just out of curiousisity, is a rebuilt transmission more robust than a virgin oem stocker tranny?... ie: Are there significant updates that occur during a rebuild that address the weak spots? I don't expect any tranny to last forever, but dropping $3k to $6k for a rebuild and having it last another 100k-150k miles in a $20k, 500hp European luxury sedan isn't too bad IMHO... Especially if it's more robust/reliable.

From the man...yep, very reasonable to have the trans solid for another 100k plus miles...under reasonable driving. Even with the upgrades you can tear this apart by launching and other driving that puts excessive wear on the trans, certainly with the extra hp/tq. There are also the drive shafts and center diff in there...

Yes, upgraded clutches, new reverse piston (breaks all the time), new trust bearing behind the first drum assembly (breaks all the time), rebuilt valve body with all new valves and springs. I can do $3000 without the TC.

SteveKen
November 12th, 2012, 16:43
Are all these 6 speeds the same? Why do we need an adapter then?

All 01E's are physically the same with respect to the housings, etc. Gearing can be different, though. The block is the major factor between the S6 and the RS6. The 01E bolts up to the S6 4.2 block pretty easily, but does not on the RS6 block. Thus the need for a custom adapter among other things.

I'm using an 01E from a B5 S4, which is the same as the C5 A6 2.7T.

The B7 RS4 trans is not an 01E. It's an 0A3. Since other C5 cars used the 01E, this guarantees that the front axle geometry, driveshaft and shifter linkages are correct. Maybe the same story with the 0A3, but I didn't have one on hand to compare and use when I had the laser scanning done for the design of the engine/trans adapter. I've heard that the 01E is beefier and can handle tolerances better than the all aluminum 0A3, but who knows for sure. I've never had to source gears or rebuild kits for the 0A3 either, as they're pretty common for the 01E. Availability of the 01E is better and cheaper, too. I'm also not sure if the 0A3's front diff final drive is compatible with the S6 or RS6's rear diff. If it's different, then it will have to be replaced, too.

ttboost
November 12th, 2012, 19:31
Thnaks Steve...the link you posted has (2) O1E's for $1400... and you have to call for a price on the otehr one...kinda steep, no?

lswing
December 4th, 2012, 17:30
Progress...that's the rebuilt trans from Tozo on the ground, engine and trans coming out this week, get the beast back in a few weeks! Not bad down time I would say, thanks to Tozo's quick turnaround and efficient shipping, mechanic getting me scheduled. Total will be around $5,500...few hundred bucks in fluid alone...

MaxRS6
December 4th, 2012, 18:28
Woo hoo- Congrats on the progress!

lswing
December 14th, 2012, 00:48
New trans on...13269

lswing
December 20th, 2012, 03:03
On the road again! 6 weeks, $6k, beast is rolling, just a few miles around town today. Tozo trans feels good, should be solid for years. Tozo, I'll have my old one ready to ship back in a day or two. $240 worth of fluid to flush and fill, going to flush and put in new filter soon trying to get as clean as possible. Cheers!

TozoM8
December 20th, 2012, 10:29
Good to hear. No need for another fluid change. Everything is new and clean inside.

MaxRS6
December 20th, 2012, 13:46
On the road again! 6 weeks, $6k, beast is rolling, just a few miles around town today. Tozo trans feels good, should be solid for years. Tozo, I'll have my old one ready to ship back in a day or two. $240 worth of fluid to flush and fill, going to flush and put in new filter soon trying to get as clean as possible. Cheers!

Congrats and enjoy the new shifts

lswing
December 20th, 2012, 19:56
Yep, feels good! Real tight off the line, much more grab than before, interesting feeling, I always thought my old one was slipping before it ever really went. Taking it easy for the most part, will check fluid levels and quality next week. I just want to make sure the filter is clean, and all old debris out of the TC and cooling system. We did flush it out a lot just to be sure, the old system that is.

Shifts are crisp and clean, grab nicely between gears, more control, wonder why:)

repda503
December 21st, 2012, 05:08
Anybody have experience with IPT performance transmissions? Noticed they had the ZF5HP24 on their website. My mechanic is a dealer through them and is considering outsourcing if he cant rebuild it all himself.

lswing
December 21st, 2012, 05:56
if he cant rebuild it all himself.

I would never want to take that chance. You sure the trans is bad? Cost?

repda503
December 21st, 2012, 07:05
I'm pretty sure trans is bad. Rough shifts from 1st-2nd-3rd. Slips when cold or hot if I give it throttle from gears 1-4. Rough grab if I throttle in 5th. Everything I read seems like its my o ring in the A clutch and maybe more. Checked ATF but it was fine. Did oil change. reverse is no issue so F clutch should be fine.

And it started happening all of a sudden. I'm still thinking about shipping to Tozo if I'm not confident in what my mechanic says.

MaxRS6
December 21st, 2012, 12:35
Anybody have experience with IPT performance transmissions? Noticed they had the ZF5HP24 on their website. My mechanic is a dealer through them and is considering outsourcing if he cant rebuild it all himself.

Do not use IPT!!- Go with 517 or Tozo...see my experience...

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24636-Transmission-517-vs-IPT-Rebuild-Experience?highlight=ipt

If you want to discuss, let me know

repda503
December 21st, 2012, 13:35
Woah thanks for the heads up Maxrs6. Now that you showed me the link I remember reading this post from you. Phew!

lswing
December 22nd, 2012, 06:33
Thanks for the reminder!

Had a great short drive today, backroad, cycled the gears good, trans feels great, thanks Tozo! The car is just driving great, suspension feels excellent, drop down a gear and coast into a corner then apex throttle out, just a sweet ride, roll up to 100 in no time...