PDA

View Full Version : Mystery hot water?

bmwade
November 3rd, 2012, 01:21
So I was driving home tonight from picking up my dad at the airport. About 1h 45m of drive time mostly highway. I was down to the last 2 miles from my house, there is a tight left(posted 25) then 1/3 mile straight and tight right(also 25). I routinely take these at ~40 as I did tonight. As I hit the apex of the right I step on the gas at about a quarter throttle. Just then I get a good dose of boiling hot water on my right foot. It actually burned my toes because I was wearing sandals. I get home and look at my floor mat and sure enough there was about 3 oz of still quite warm water sitting right below the gas pedal. Any ideas where this water came from?

Jimmy Joe
November 3rd, 2012, 02:11
¿ What´s your father´s method to make you slow down ? Mine was a slap on the back of the head... Just kidding..!

ben916
November 3rd, 2012, 04:08
Not sure where the heater core is in these cars, but that might be a start...

4everRS
November 3rd, 2012, 04:45
Try to taste it if still possible. Coolant is somewhat sweet.

Yes Ben. The heater core is tucked behind the dash. I have heard that a core replacement requires nearly the whole dash to come out.

stubro
November 3rd, 2012, 13:16
I have had that problem as well over the years. I think heater core is the likely culprit but it doesn't seem to have any issues working.

bmwade
November 3rd, 2012, 13:33
Heater core was my first thought, but I didn't have the heater on so I wasn't sure if that could be the guilty party.

ttboost
November 3rd, 2012, 13:33
Hmmm. tough one. I would start with not wearing sandals...or at least wearing black socks with them...

bmwade
November 3rd, 2012, 13:35
¿ What´s your father´s method to make you slow down ? Mine was a slap on the back of the head... Just kidding..!

Oncoming traffic on a 2 lane road was the method last night. Although the 4 pigs that live on my road are also good incentive for somewhat limiting my speed.

hahnmgh63
November 3rd, 2012, 14:50
Good news is the heater core is cheap, bad news is that it is cheaply made and expensive to replace (Labor costs).

kevin
November 3rd, 2012, 16:39
Sounds like a heater core. Get a white paper towel and try to soak some if the liquid up.. If its pinkish color, it's G12