PDA

View Full Version : A8L 4.0 T impressions.

Aronis
November 1st, 2012, 00:35
Hello all,

I picked up a 2013 A8L 4.0 last week. It's still in the break in period.

I drove to and from Boston at a leasurely pace.

So far it makes me smile just as much as my RS6.

At this point it's got 750 miles on it so I was able to do some brief spirited driving.

Performance : Great. Plenty of get up and go. Shifts quickly. After a few more miles I will see if its as quick as my RS. I'm getting the impression it will be quicker.

Handling: for a longer and wider car with all season radials it handles quite well. I'd like to get some summer tires in the spring.

Exhaust note. Actually quite nice. It surprised me.

Cylinder deactivation. I'm not sure. I'll type more at a desktop later. I have iPhone thumb.

MMI: very nice but having minor issue with google maps.

Stereo: very nice. Don't miss the B&O.

Lease deal: great numbers.

Massage seats: great but no massage for the butt so help with sciatica is not there. LOL.

I drove back from Boston and then back again in my dad's 2012 A8l with 4.2. He has the lane departure warning and active cruise. Those are VERY nice but the TT 4.0 makes up for mine not having the assist.

More later with pictures. Busy week.

Mike

JSRS6
November 1st, 2012, 02:25
Mmmmmmmm.....pictures!

4everRS
November 1st, 2012, 02:45
Sounds great mike. I can't believe your comparing the acceleration to the rs! That thing has got to be pretty impressive.

AndyBG
November 1st, 2012, 10:30
Congrat's on your new A8 L 4.0 T...!

Enjoy it!

ZCD2.7T
November 2nd, 2012, 12:40
Hello all,

I picked up a 2013 A8L 4.0 last week.... More later with pictures. Busy week.

Mike

Congratulations!

I have to say that I seem to recall having the impression that you might be done with Audi after some of the issues/frustrations you had with your RS, but I'm glad that you found one you like. The A8 is a sweet ride, and the 4.0TT is certainly a honey of a motor. Enjoy, and PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!! ;)

Aronis
November 2nd, 2012, 21:29
Love the car. I have not had time to take any pictures. I have been installing a whole house generator. LOL.

Aronis
November 2nd, 2012, 21:44
No, Really, it happened LOL....

It's very dirty....:)

My RS6 is waiting for me to pick it up from the dealer, I had the driver's side muffler straighter....he just heated it and bent the tip up..

2008 A4 2.0T Cab in the foreground....snapper 6 hp lawn mower on right LOL....

Aronis
November 2nd, 2012, 21:49
20 Kw Generac Whole House generator..

DIY project....

Just need electrician to Legally pull my meter so I can connect the 2-0 gauge COOPER to the street in place of the cheapo 250 MCM aluminum service feed....I ran 2 gauge from the generator to the house with 1-0 gauge common and 4 gauge ground....I did not need BOTH...oh well, that 1-0 gauge and 2-0 gauge wire is fun to mess with....in a tight space..

Aronis
November 2nd, 2012, 21:51
Sounds great mike. I can't believe your comparing the acceleration to the rs! That thing has got to be pretty impressive.

I'm very impressed. I can't wait until it is finished the break in period...

It handles very well also even with the all season tires....I'm going to go without dedicated snows and just get dedicated summer tires and keep the all seasons for the winter. I'll put my snows on the RS6 and use that if the snow is really bad..LOL...

The engine note is very nice too, that surprised me, I thought it was going to be ho hum dull....no.....it's got a good snarl..

Mike

got boost
November 3rd, 2012, 00:31
Congrats! I look forward to hearing more about it. Glad to see you kept the RS.

BTW, I am having generator envy, I coulda used one of those this week!

Jimmy Joe
November 3rd, 2012, 00:48
Congratulations on your new ride! sounds fantastic! ...and you kept the RS6! What more can anyone ask ? Mmmm. maybe a track Audi.

Aronis
November 3rd, 2012, 01:18
I could track the a4. LOL. I'm planning on Kw V 3 install on that this winter.

Aronis
November 3rd, 2012, 21:39
Some better photos.

I figured out the issue with the Traffic Information.....My trial Sirius account does not include traffic. Added it for the hell of it...
But still Points of Interest do not show on the Google Map, but do on the Standard Map.

Ruergard
November 4th, 2012, 07:38
That is an impressive car, congratulations! :cheers:

Primo
November 4th, 2012, 14:49
Gorgeous car, Aronis. Congratz!

Aronis
November 6th, 2012, 03:21
Thanks all.

Now that I'm over 1000 miles, I was driving it a bit more aggressively. I think it keeps up quite nicely with the RS6 performance. The RS is more immediate with regard to start up since it think the torque converted engages more quickly, as the A8 has a bit of lag or perhaps a dead space in the throttle as you push on the gas peddle. I think part may be getting used to the difference from a stand still. There is definitely a big difference when the A8 is set on sport vs. normal drive with regard throttle response and transmission shifting.

At speed the acceleration, say from 60 to 120 is pretty close to what I've been used to in the RS. The A8 pulls nicely and has plenty of top end to bury the 130 upper electronic limit.

Mike

Aronis
November 10th, 2012, 19:50
Busy Morning, converted my lawn tractor for winter duty (blower, enclosure, tire chains, oil and filter change) and cleaned out the garage.

RS6 is back inside after charging it's dead battery for a few hours LOL.

Cabriolet is outside. :)