PDA

View Full Version : can somone differentiate the signs of failing transmission vs. TC

ntrcptr
October 30th, 2012, 11:19
For the couch mechanics.

October 30th, 2012, 11:37
TC will usually throw a code. 17125 I believe. Trans will slip (mine did when it got hot) and becomes virtually undriveable.

UrS6
October 30th, 2012, 13:28
TC will usually throw a code. 17125 I believe. Trans will slip (mine did when it got hot) and becomes virtually undriveable.
Will the tranny throw a code? Always or only sometime?

October 30th, 2012, 13:33
Tranny will eventually throw a code, usually incorrect gear ratio, but by the time it has done this it has slipped and slammed you enough times that you already know it's broke.

lswing
October 30th, 2012, 13:56
I've experienced a failed TC and a slipping Trans (due to low fluid). TC failure began with CEL showing, really the only symptom that I could tell as I just bough the car. After doing the freeway test of driving in Tip, 5th gear, full gas but don't hit the kickdown switch, slipping is very evident as the rpm's move and you don't accell.

Trans jumped gears a few times under full load accell, checked and filled fluid, happy, no codes....

Desk jockey interweb mechanic....

ntrcptr
October 31st, 2012, 09:21
I've experienced a failed TC and a slipping Trans (due to low fluid). TC failure began with CEL showing, really the only symptom that I could tell as I just bough the car. After doing the freeway test of driving in Tip, 5th gear, full gas but don't hit the kickdown switch, slipping is very evident as the rpm's move and you don't accell.

Trans jumped gears a few times under full load accell, checked and filled fluid, happy, no codes....

Desk jockey interweb mechanic....

YEP!... thats what I'm getting---question? How long can you baby the trans before absolute breakdown? or Should I get it fixed asap? or do I have time? BTW? Is the slipping trans likely due to a worn clutch?(very important Question since warranties dont cover this ):deal::idea:

mik15
October 31st, 2012, 15:43
i have the TC error code ever since i bought the car, which is 16k miles ago, and i don't really know when was the first time the error came up, i presume the previous owner didn't know about it because when the car was at the Audi dealer, even though they saw the error they didn't mention it, all they did was to erase it! Now, knowing i have this error i can't really say that i have beaten the crap out of it but neither have i been soft with it, all i did was to change the oil and filter right after i discovered the error and avoid standing hard launches, i did a few but very rare, but i've never had the symptom described by you, mine under full acceleration changes as it should, smooth and with no drama, so it is when downshifting, apart from the fact that i can feel the engine brake, especially when in S mode! All these make me think that my gearbox is still ok, the TC will be changed soon anyway!

As i know, apart from the low fluid, a gearbox starts slipping because of worn clutches or if the TC is really toasted and it doesn't lock at all. Mine for example, it does lock, but not as quickly as it should, i've done many logs while running and i saw that there is a delay from the open stage to locked stage, basically the Torq. Conv. reg takes a bit too long until it goes to locked position. Have you ever changed the oil and filter? If you haven't so far you might first try to do it and then see if the behavior changes! How many miles on your car?

ntrcptr
November 1st, 2012, 14:11
As i know, apart from the low fluid, a gearbox starts slipping because of worn clutches or if the TC is really toasted and it doesn't lock at all. Mine for example, it does lock, but not as quickly as it should, i've done many logs while running and i saw that there is a delay from the open stage to locked stage, basically the Torq. Conv. reg takes a bit too long until it goes to locked position. Have you ever changed the oil and filter? If you haven't so far you might first try to do it and then see if the behavior changes! How many miles on your car?

worn clutches is what i was i feared ( anyone know of extended warranties that covers this?:deal::nana:)....btw, tranny fluid was filled. (same behavior:stick:puke::noshake:).. it has 90+k

lswing
November 1st, 2012, 14:35
Sorry, same exact issue here. Even if I've got a trans fluid leak and am really low on fluid, can't image it should be this bad, and don't you get a warning? Sure as hell feels like the clutch is slipping bad, tries to grab, slips, just enough grab to put around town with lowest throttle possible, she still shifts ok driving super careful, up to third gear at least...one last drive to the shop...

The stick shift and puke is great! Sad too...ah my poor beast. After driving the Acura TSX the last few days, started up the rs6 and the rumble and sound is amazing, just incredible.

ntrcptr
November 1st, 2012, 18:39
Sorry, same exact issue here. Even if I've got a trans fluid leak and am really low on fluid, can't image it should be this bad, and don't you get a warning? Sure as hell feels like the clutch is slipping bad, tries to grab, slips, just enough grab to put around town with lowest throttle possible, she still shifts ok driving super careful, up to third gear at least...one last drive to the shop...

The stick shift and puke is great! Sad too...ah my poor beast. After driving the Acura TSX the last few days, started up the rs6 and the rumble and sound is amazing, just incredible.

I figured this was inevitable...just wondering though how long can I baby this before kaboom?..:incar::mech:. should I even risk driving it? I've basically been driving it in full automatic to reduce stress to the tranny.

ttboost
November 1st, 2012, 21:22
FIX IT NOW!!! You can cet the 17125 code for a while before the trans actualy calfs. Once you start getting CELS for slipping trans...too late..toast. If you are already slipping, but no CEL.s you MIGHT be OK, but probably limited to how much power you can take now.

lswing
November 2nd, 2012, 02:02
Just fix it, don't make things worse...we looked at my trans fluid today, took 30 mins or less, very nice and sparkly silver, blah.....

November 2nd, 2012, 04:16
Just fix it, don't make things worse...we looked at my trans fluid today, took 30 mins or less, very nice and sparkly silver, blah.....

How does it make things "worse" ? A shot trans is a shot trans unless you make the core unusable. Still enjoying my $5 fix as one kid is still in college.

ben916
November 2nd, 2012, 04:35

Guess you will just have to meet in Seattle @ Feierabend on a Wednesday to see Stevenken's old 6Speed RS6 that lives in Kirkland WA!
Take that for a spin and you will be HOOKED!

TozoM8
November 2nd, 2012, 23:51
How does it make things "worse" ? A shot trans is a shot trans unless you make the core unusable. Still enjoying my $5 fix as one kid is still in college.

Putting a band-aid on a gashing artery is not really a "fix" :)
17125 is a failing torque converter internal seal. The trans still fine, however when the TCU sees the slip it will keep the TC open to reduce the slip. Open TC will generate extreme heat 300+F. That high heat will break down the ATF in a couple hundred miles. Heat is the enemy here. If you could keep the trans fluid under 175F it will last 100K miles with minimal heat damage. Burnt fluid WILL ruin a good trans.

http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm

Jimmy Joe
November 3rd, 2012, 00:34
Very good advice Tozo, and very appreciated; However, in your very authorized opinion, ¿Which of the kits in the txchange ad will work better for our RS6´s ?

TozoM8
November 3rd, 2012, 00:58
Anything that fits your car.
http://www.haydenauto.com/featured%20products-transmission%20and%20engine%20oil%20coolers/content.aspx

Jimmy Joe
November 3rd, 2012, 01:26
Thank you, Tozo.

lswing
November 3rd, 2012, 02:23
Question, trans and TC share fluid right?

We looked at the trans fluid and it was very sparkled, just full of silver and other chunks of crap.

I've been thinking of driving around town this month before I get the trans pulled, but it will hurt my newly rebuilt TC is my worry. Although if you have an old TC and trans, guess you could finish them off together...

TozoM8
November 3rd, 2012, 03:04
Yes, they share fluid so your TC is full of that silver fluid.

November 4th, 2012, 15:30
Putting a band-aid on a gashing artery is not really a "fix" :)

True Tozo, but if you're having a heart attack and an aspirin will buy you time, it works for me :). If you have the $6-7k to do the trans, do the trans (and the TC, and the turbos, and the IC's, and reseal, and timing belt, and Bufkin). If you don't have the money what do you do?

I'll definitely be doing my trans when mine quits, but right now, I don't find the characteristics of the way it drives bad enough to spend the money or time.

Thanks for the info on the heat build up in the trans, that explains why the TC failure fries the trans.

lswing
November 5th, 2012, 15:50
I would like to do the same "fix" to keep driving this month, but with the new TC, it's sitting in the garage. Certainly don't need all those nice metal particles mixing in. I'm assuming some good flushing of the TC will be enough to make things fine once we put the fresh trans on.

I've heard the tougher/improper shifting could be rough on the drive line, not sure how much, but maybe more stress on the trans gears, output shafts, and center dif...

November 5th, 2012, 16:26
I would like to do the same "fix" to keep driving this month, but with the new TC, it's sitting in the garage. Certainly don't need all those nice metal particles mixing in. I'm assuming some good flushing of the TC will be enough to make things fine once we put the fresh trans on.

I've heard the tougher/improper shifting could be rough on the drive line, not sure how much, but maybe more stress on the trans gears, output shafts, and center dif...

Don't put the band aid on if you just put a new ACE TC in it. As for flushing, I'm not sure how well that works for the TC but Tozo will know.

I'm waiting to do mine when I can do it all (TC,trans,Scroll turbo's) because it's 3k to pull the motor......every time. TC goes bad, replace it and it's 3k in labor. Trans craps out, another 3k in labor, Turbos go, another 3k in labor, EGT is another 3k in labor. I can't afford to pull the motor every year (in time or money).

The hard shifts are only Park to N to Drive (just a little jerky but not terribly offensive). And one bad one from 5-4th when decelerating and your not on the gas a little. Easy to tap the throttle and Tip it from 5-4 and it is smooth (unless you are on the phone and forget). Overall, nothing nearly as hard as what my Vic does from 1st to 2nd when you're on the gas hard and the back tires break loose at 35.

ntrcptr
November 6th, 2012, 11:36
but I noticed your in chicago area... whats the name of your shop?.. maybe we could do business...:hahahehe::hey::mech::cheers:and you can help out a bro...:addict::rs6kiss::dig: