PDA

View Full Version : brake rotor warping issue

peiserg
October 30th, 2012, 03:21
guys i have the c5 rs6 and i've had the Coleman racing two peice rotors for a long time now. I'm on my 3rd ring. The issue is this... the first set of rings i used were great, exactly as expected. the 2nd set got warped very quickly, like within a few miles of normal driving. Had them trued, and the same issue occurred. I just lived with it till they wore out (which happened pretty quickly... maybe 12k miles i assume due to the warpage). My FIRST rings lasted 30k just like the OEM did. So then i put on the 3rd ring set, and the same thing happened... warped right away under NORMAL driving. I've just left it like that but it is annoying as hell. I use the EBC reds. Is there some "bed in" procedure i should be doing, or maybe should i swap back to OEM pads? The rings are only like $175 so a significant savings over the OEM rotors. so I'd prefer to just replace the rings obviously.. Many people use these rings and i've never seen another complaint about warpage online.

suggestions? I'd have thought it was the rings themselves but the 1st set worked flawlessly for 30k miles.

October 30th, 2012, 11:44
Used this article to bed in my RS and they work great. Didn't do this on my Crown Vic and they acted warped. The rotors don't actually warp, they just feel that way because of the uneven deposits on the rotors. The good news is that you can go back and rebed them and your shuddering should stop (it did on my Vic).

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

hahnmgh63
October 30th, 2012, 14:39
The EBC Reds may very well be your problem and not the Rotors. The Reds are fairly soft and not recommended for the RS6, They can leave deposits of Brake material on the Rotors that will cause the feeling of a warped Rotor. Do a search on here and you will find a few posts. I do use EBC Yellows which are a more aggressive and higher temp capable pad and still good for eveyday driving but they do dust a little more than the Reds but still less than OEM. Others have had good luck with one or two of the different Hawk pads and Pagid but I found on other cars in the past that the Pagid had a tendency to squeal.