PDA

View Full Version : Phaeton goes USA

Erik
October 29th, 2003, 23:01
I will follow this with great interest. The Phaeton in Europe was not a big success so far.

VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC. ANNOUNCES PRICE OF ITS LUXURY PHAETON MODEL – “REPRESENTS GREAT VALUE IN GERMAN LUXURY CLASS”

Volkswagen has manufactured 330 special “Premier Edition” models of the Phaeton W12 to celebrate its entry into the German-built luxury segment. These special models are available in Piano Black exterior paint finish and were ordered with identical specifications. The Premier Edition Phaeton W12 has a base price of $79,900 plus a special equipment package priced at $4,990 for a total MSRP of $84,890. This Premier Edition model represents a great value within its competitive segment.

http://media.vw.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=9192

Bauer
November 2nd, 2003, 03:31
You know.....I am sorry no one is going to pay 85K in the US for a VW. I think they have totally missed the mark on this one, I don't care if it had a twin turbo W12....ITS A VW. I don't know what VW was thinking when they decided to enter a market where they already have a brand who is more established, Audi. Oh by the way Audi has not done all that well with the old A8 in the US and it is absoulty seen as a premium brand over VW who is not. VW might as well wright the loss off now and save on the marketing expenses. Most Americans UNFOURTANTLY, are in to status not value....and if VW doesnt know this they are about to get an EXPENSIVE lesson. I know the car is a great value and a well designed car but Americans like, as they say to "keep up with the Jones's"

Sorry VW but the truth hurts sometime and in this case is going to be expensive.......Hopefully they will learn as it is a waste of resources in a slow world economy.

mr
November 3rd, 2003, 08:37
Well, .. the Phaeton didn't sell very well also here in Austria -> I think I've just seen 2 or three till now -> well but lots of Rs6, .. new A8, ....

-> they should have stopped the whole production of this car, when they saw that it doesn't sell (very well)!!!!!!

-> let AUDI build luxus - sedans!!!!!! (Although in my opinion the Phaeton is a WONDERFULL car with great interior, .. design, ... -> but, .. the new A8 IS BETTER)!!!!!!!

rgds

Martin!