PDA

View Full Version : Those with Konis and stock springs. Talk to me about additional load and rebound.

alrightroad
October 19th, 2012, 03:08
Long long long shot... but, I might try retrofitting konis and stock RS springs into my allroad project. The allroad is about 200 more lbs than the RS when I am done with it. Can I expect worse rebound with the additional weight? have you loaded the trunk with some good weight and how did the RS ride with the weight? Back seat full of butts, how did she ride?

I am having a really hard time letting go of the air suspension... as much headache as it is, I use still use it from time to time.

Thx.

eric

Jimmy
October 19th, 2012, 12:24
Depends; what model Konis are you considering?

Are the Arnott coilovers worth considering?

What problems are you having/had with your air suspension?

alrightroad
October 23rd, 2012, 03:15
I was thinking RS6 specific model Konis a few of the others have installed recently. But, I have not looked up to see if they make one for an A6 4.2... or even if that is a different Koni part.

I still utilize the utility nature of the allroad air suspension and will be installing a westfalia OEM tow bar during the project. I stuff the trunk full of things several times a months it seems. I'm exploring options at this point. I have all 4 Arnott gen II air springs and Billstiens now. The ride improvement was not noticable over OEM shocks/springs with 110K miles. So, either I spend $1,800 on new OEM struts on all 4's or I take that cash and throw it at entirely new setup deleting the air suspension.

The Arnott coils are a pass for me because they are not adustable. Set at level 2.

Saw a set of KW v3's go on ebay the other day for $800... too bad they were for a B7 RS4 :).

Are you stock suspension on your allroad?

lswing
October 23rd, 2012, 04:45
Koni yellow sports, stock springs, been a great ride. Running on full soft, firm feel that has softened a bit after 1k miles, get a bit of bounce depending on the bump type. Still MUCH more predictable than the drc. I would think running mid-firm you would have a very solid ride...

Jimmy
October 23rd, 2012, 14:23
Koni does make a yellow for the 4.2s...which I was considering as a bud rolls on them with H&Rs...pretty nice...better than DRC IMO. I didn't know there was a RS6 specific Koni actually...TireRack has what I want for cheap $$ (wholesale)...but the DRC is till holding out at nearly 100K (not that I dig it much)

Yes, my allroad stock... running new OE shocks all around (well, they were new about 4 years ago) with Arnott Gen 1s all around...with a drop of 20mm front and 18mm rear . I'm VERY happy with it all and I use the adjustablitiy of it ALOT; its a trooper for trips up to Canada in the winters and rolling close to 190K now. Been thru 3 compressors and 2 front air bags in the 150K I've had the car...no big deal IMO, the compressors are a 1/2 job and the air bags aren't hard to replace after you've done a few....their lifetime guarantee makes it easier to swallow too.

lswing
October 23rd, 2012, 16:17
4.2crew posted the part numbers in a thread. Not RS6 specific, but a heavy duty koni yellow, I believe is what they called it, compared to the other part number for the A6.

alrightroad
October 24th, 2012, 01:56
Koni does make a yellow for the 4.2s...which I was considering as a bud rolls on them with H&Rs...pretty nice...better than DRC IMO. I didn't know there was a RS6 specific Koni actually...TireRack has what I want for cheap $$ (wholesale)...but the DRC is till holding out at nearly 100K (not that I dig it much)

Yes, my allroad stock... running new OE shocks all around (well, they were new about 4 years ago) with Arnott Gen 1s all around...with a drop of 20mm front and 18mm rear . I'm VERY happy with it all and I use the adjustablitiy of it ALOT; its a trooper for trips up to Canada in the winters and rolling close to 190K now. Been thru 3 compressors and 2 front air bags in the 150K I've had the car...no big deal IMO, the compressors are a 1/2 job and the air bags aren't hard to replace after you've done a few....their lifetime guarantee makes it easier to swallow too.

Agree. Compressor is the easier of the jobs. I did all 4 corners. Rears are sure fun, arent they? I'm leaning toward OEM shocks on all 4's (just bite the bullet and be done for another 70-80K) and I think I will switch back to OEM rear air springs to get the rear auto leveling back for when loading the boot up with heavy stuff or tower something. I'm down 16mm front, 14mm rear also. Running General UHP's on 18 RS4 reps. That tire is a great bang for the buck for the allroad.

alrightroad
October 24th, 2012, 01:57
4.2crew posted the part numbers in a thread. Not RS6 specific, but a heavy duty koni yellow, I believe is what they called it, compared to the other part number for the A6.

Thanks. I'll head back to that thread and check it out.