PDA

View Full Version : Prospective buyer

blinky44
October 18th, 2012, 02:41
So, new to the forum as I just recently started seriously looking at the RS6 as a next vehicle possibility. I browsing a few online now but one has caught my eye. I have gone through the forum to see what I should be looking for (tranny, TC, DRC, 75K service) but still a few more curiosity questions.

I currently drive a 2011 Subaru STi and love the power but it is a bit stiff and not as luxurious inside as I want right now. As well the trunk is small.

I have a 1 year old boy, is the backseat plenty big enough for car seat and room for front passenger as well? Is the trunk fairly big to hold all the baby's stuff?

I know this is a nearly 10 year old car but does the interior seem like it is that old? I have no doubt it is well built but dont want to feel like I am in an old car.

How is the ride? Is it stiff or just comfortable?

Here is the one I am looking at: http://www.elitemotorsonline.com/web/used/Audi-RS6-2003-Mundelein-Illinois/1172297/

Last question, since I am in Nova Scotia Canada, I am likely about 500 miles from the nearest one of these for sale and will not be able to test drive before buying. Is there anyone in the area of this dealership that would be willing to give it a drive should I get that far?

Thanks!

makaveli42
October 18th, 2012, 03:36
Back seat is plenty roomy, and you can fit 6 bodies in the huge trunk!
Mine has FK Automotive struts/springs....you can feel the bumps in the road but its not as stiff as a STi. Idk about stock ride quality

kday
October 18th, 2012, 03:51
Stock ride is firm but comfortable. The interior still looks modern, especially if you install the RNS-E. It's a big car with plenty of room everywhere except the engine bay.

ben916
October 18th, 2012, 04:03
you might want one with Black interior for the youngster

blinky44
October 18th, 2012, 04:08
Good thinking...I had cream interior in my Legacy and it was hard enough to keep clean with just me in it. Not a deal breaker though, I do a lot of detailing and can keep it clean.

bmwade
October 18th, 2012, 04:53
If you upgrade to the RNS-E with BT and Sat then the intirior is vastly superior to any current American car. I didn't get BT or Sat and I believe it to be on par with any new non-European (or Lexus) car I've been in...Audi has made a name for themselves in being well ahead of the game on interiors! I just swapped DRC to Koni strutson full soft, but the car is no grandma cruiser in the ride department! It's a sports car so yes it's stiff, but with good seats and good roads its barely noticeable most of the time! Certainly much more comfortable than an STI! As to room for your parasite and his requisite junk, there is plenty of space! Having upgraded from a B6 S4(~STI) to the RS6 I can say there is aproxmately double the space in the back seat! Trunk is good size too, haven't ever been left needing space!

In short if you find yourself needing more space and more comfort than an RS6 can provide then probably the only viable option as a car is an S8!

blinky44
October 18th, 2012, 04:59
Thanks for the comments, my biggest concern is maintenance costs. I only drive about 5000miles/year right now so hoping maintenance would not be a killer. Makes me a bit sad thinking about leaving Subaru though, been driving them for nearly 10 years. Hard to go back 8 years too...hmmm

kday
October 18th, 2012, 05:17
As you probably know it is night and day in comparison to a Subaru. If a Subaru is your benchmark for comfort, sophistication, fit and finish, etc. then you will be happy. If a Subaru is your benchmark for reliability, ease of maintenance, and economy then you will be sad.

The RS6 is awesome but I would think twice about owning one without a backup car.

Whenever it snows a lot I miss my old 92 Legacy wagon with skinny all season tires. Just the right amount of grip to have fun -- not too much, not too little...

blinky44
October 18th, 2012, 05:26
Thanks for the candid comments...maybe I can get a JDM WRX as a backup. :)

Is the RS6 no good in the snow?

ttboost
October 18th, 2012, 12:46
Quattro is an old Indian word for "Clawing at the earth for traction".....:incar:

October 18th, 2012, 13:12
As you probably know it is night and day in comparison to a Subaru. If a Subaru is your benchmark for comfort, sophistication, fit and finish, etc. then you will be happy. If a Subaru is your benchmark for reliability, ease of maintenance, and economy then you will be sad.

The RS6 is awesome but I would think twice about owning one without a backup car.

+1........

Jimmy
October 18th, 2012, 14:11
Is the RS6 no good in the snow?

What ttboost said x2... consider buying his car btw...VERY well sorted and with a black interior to boot.

The RS6 is a friggen Yeti in the snow...its unstoppable with snow tires.

kday
October 18th, 2012, 15:15
I wasn't suggesting that my old Subaru was "better" in the snow than a quattro -- it wasn't more stable, it was just more fun, at least in comparison to the 3 quattros I've owned (all of which were at least 1000 lbs heavier.) The Subaru was easier to get sideways and easier to straighten out afterward.

The RS6 is at a disadvantage in the snow relative to most other quattros due to the giant tires. If there was some way to get skinny tires on it then I am sure it would be a tank.

blinky44
October 18th, 2012, 15:27
What ttboost said x2... consider buying his car btw...VERY well sorted and with a black interior to boot.

You mean TechGurru's?

bobski
October 20th, 2012, 22:14
I have an immaculate RS6 US Spec, second owner, 55K miles and can take it to Ottawa with me or you can see it in Germany or you can ask for pictures and we can do a deal long distance. Free shipping to your house! Let me know if you are interested. Replacement DRC, new tranny/TC as of this summer, new rubber, brakes, alternator, battery. Hoping to get around $29K or so, but flexible. I need to sell!