PDA

View Full Version : S Mode ???

03rs6
October 11th, 2012, 02:48
In the RS6 can you drive in S mode with auto shifting like in D, or do you have to up and down shift manually? My BMW 335 allows both manual and auto shifting in S mode.

4everRS
October 11th, 2012, 03:18
Ummmmm..... I assume you don't have an rs6? The answer is yes. You can shift manually is any mode.

03rs6
October 11th, 2012, 03:22
I do have a RS6, let me clarify my question, can i drive in S mode without having to manually shift up or down???

marklar182
October 11th, 2012, 04:15
I do have a RS6, let me clarify my question, can i drive in S mode without having to manually shift up or down???

Yes.....

mik15
October 11th, 2012, 04:46
and yes again...

bmwade
October 11th, 2012, 05:38
i always found the best way to find out the answer to questions like this is to put the car in s whilst I'm driving the car in question. though you technically don't have to shift even in manual mode. it will upshift for you at redline then down shift at ~1k. but that's probably not the best way to drive...

ttboost
October 11th, 2012, 12:50
Yeah...Audi pretty much made it stupid proof..transmission wise...Driving around in "S" will give you a much higher shift point and will likely hang in gear when you don't want it to...go try it...
"S" is for lumping up the new factory hotrods..then put it back in "D" and pull into the supermarket...

lswing
October 11th, 2012, 16:14
Really, you never accelerated enough in even first or second gear to see it shift???? I'm honestly baffled as to how you would have ever driven in S. I hardly ever do as it's really jerky, as mentioned nice for a 0-60 run, but it will shift at around 4-5k around town, easy, how have you been driving the beast?

03rs6
October 11th, 2012, 18:45
My beast is a city dweller so it primarily sees red light to red light and a occasional highway blast. Whenever i drive in S mode i always paddle shifted never giving it a chance to shift on its own. But now that i know it will shift by itself in S mode i will try it out sometimes. You learn something new everyday and its amazing what this beast can do.

lswing
October 11th, 2012, 19:25
Yes, and have fun! My shifting is a bit different with the MTM chip, but it's also throttle % dependent. Even in S, if I'm about halfway down, she'll shift about 4-5k or so, foot most of the way in and she takes it to redline:) Again, for me I only use S when looking do get max time from 0-infinity! Normally D will even get me up there pretty quick. Then I usually settle back into tip...