PDA

View Full Version : Whine accelerating from a stop.

UrS6
October 5th, 2012, 22:43
I noticed today when I started my car, let it warm up for 1-2 minutes and pulled away "briskly" that I got a (tranny?) whine. It sounds like a tire spinning on ice (like when someones car is stuck) but it was not the tire spinning. I had a TC code 17125 a few months back but the code was reset and the warranty co. wouldn't replace it because there was no code. Is this noise from the TC or tranny? Is is a common noise to get if one of these components is failing?

4everRS
October 5th, 2012, 23:35
It's the transmission cavitating. I.e. not getting enough fluid sucked up through the pickup tube. Could be the tube is too close to the bottom of the pan, or not enough fluid.

Put a quart of ATF in it and inspect the bottom of the pan. If it looks dented inwards, you'll need to take it off, new gasket and filter, and cut the pickup tube off a half inch.

lswing
October 6th, 2012, 00:07
Driving with a bad TC is bad on the trans, get it replaced asap. Once you get the code that's game, the light will only come on again after 50-100 miles, the TC is having issues every time you drive quite possibly. But yea, it's about $2500-3000 to get that TC rebuilt (ACE) and replaced, at an indy shop, good luck there.

UrS6
October 6th, 2012, 00:20
Driving with a bad TC is bad on the trans, get it replaced asap. Once you get the code that's game, the light will only come on again after 50-100 miles, the TC is having issues every time you drive quite possibly. But yea, it's about $2500-3000 to get that TC rebuilt (ACE) and replaced, at an indy shop, good luck there.

It's covered under warranty but the light wouldn't come on when the warranty company came out to drive it. The tranny is covered too, so.....

4everRS
October 6th, 2012, 03:56
It's covered under warranty but the light wouldn't come on when the warranty company came out to drive it. The tranny is covered too, so.....
Time for a bunch of duck-foot-rat launches ;)

lswing
October 6th, 2012, 04:01
Time for a bunch of duck-foot-rat launches ;)

Hell yes, give it a go man...you could always get that trans fluid checked just to be sure. And update your location please...

When mine was going it was CEL every 50-75 miles, 3-4 times until I replaced, glad you're under warranty!

UrS6
October 6th, 2012, 21:58
Hell yes, give it a go man...you could always get that trans fluid checked just to be sure. And update your location please...

When mine was going it was CEL every 50-75 miles, 3-4 times until I replaced, glad you're under warranty!

I first noticed my TC code about 6 months ago. My warranty ends in March. I can get the code to come up again but if I get my TC changed out I don't want to find out in April the tranny was already on it's way. I don't want to intentionally damage it--I already brought it in to be repaired but was turned away--but, let's hope whatever happens happens soon.

Aronis
October 7th, 2012, 20:41
Keep in mind that the car's TCU/ECU will tolerate several (unknown really) TC codes before any CEL will come on. My TC was not locking, I had no CEL, but noticed the RPMs were a bit high while on the highway with cruise on, so I scanned and found the error code for the non-locking TC. I logged the TC settings etc for a few hundred miles on a trip to Boston and never got a CEL even thought the TC was not locking all the time. Showed the logs to the warrantee company and they agreed to replace my TC at 102,000 miles just before the end of my 104,000 coverage period.

So, you may not even get a WARNING CEL until damage is done.

Mike

UrS6
October 7th, 2012, 23:19
Keep in mind that the car's TCU/ECU will tolerate several (unknown really) TC codes before any CEL will come on. My TC was not locking, I had no CEL, but noticed the RPMs were a bit high while on the highway with cruise on, so I scanned and found the error code for the non-locking TC. I logged the TC settings etc for a few hundred miles on a trip to Boston and never got a CEL even thought the TC was not locking all the time. Showed the logs to the warrantee company and they agreed to replace my TC at 102,000 miles just before the end of my 104,000 coverage period.

So, you may not even get a WARNING CEL until damage is done.

Mike
The strange thing is that i've cleared the code about 5 times and the code has not come back in about 1000 miles. No code at all right now. Maybe it fixed itself.........yeah, right

Is there anything to log in the tranny to check for issues that are not throwing a code?

lswing
October 8th, 2012, 03:05
Have you driven hard recently? Seems like that should cause the TC to slip. Tried the TC slipping test?...50mph, tip, throttle...do your rpms jump 4-500 before mph increases?

UrS6
October 8th, 2012, 03:32
Have you driven hard recently? Seems like that should cause the TC to slip. Tried the TC slipping test?...50mph, tip, throttle...do your rpms jump 4-500 before mph increases?
I've driven the balls off it. It still isn't on. I do get the traction control light when pulling away from a stop hard. A little wheel spin or something different?

UrS6
October 22nd, 2012, 17:14
This is very strange but my TC code has not come back. I'm getting concerned because my warranty ends in March. I have cleared it at least five times before and now it has not come back in two months. Has my TC repaired itself when I wasn't looking?

Primo
October 22nd, 2012, 17:40
Why do you take off "briskly" with a cold engine anyway?

UrS6
October 22nd, 2012, 17:55
Why do you take off "briskly" with a cold engine anyway?

The motor was warmed up for two minutes on a very warm day. There was a car coming up behind me very quickly and I wanted to get out of the way. It was not pedal to the floor. So, what is your point?

October 22nd, 2012, 20:01
This is very strange but my TC code has not come back. I'm getting concerned because my warranty ends in March. I have cleared it at least five times before and now it has not come back in two months. Has my TC repaired itself when I wasn't looking?

Nope, your TC will fail April 1st....Murphy's law...keep beating the crap out of it 'till the day the warranty is up and hope it fails.