PDA

View Full Version : First OIL Change, learned a few tricks, 9 qts total

G2
October 5th, 2012, 07:02
Firstly having a few hours to do the job helps, not a job to be rushed. A car lift helps too (...have a few)

Oil filter: barely fits from the right front wheel well, over the drive axle. Could not access from the bottom. A larger diameter filter than OE will not fit. The Amsoil oil filter is slightly taller than a Mahle, but the diameter is the same-- and good thing.

Oil cooler: drain by disconnecting union connector near oil cooler. About 6 ounces drains out. Use pressurized air to push remaining oil out, once oil filter is loosened a few turns before it releases (from the threads). I did not use full line pressure (90-120 PSI), but about 20-30, enough to gradually push the oil out over several minutes. About 6-8 ounces.

Oil pan: I used compressed air and a long tip to create enough pressure to push the remaining oil out. About 6-8 ounces.

I was able to drain out almost 9 qts. Factory fill states 8 qts.

I extracted about 4 ounces for UOA, using a Amsoil extractor pump kit. Hope to have results in the near future to share. Future UOA should be more accurate having drained out nearly all of the previous oil (Lubro/Liqui-Moly), which was fairly black at 4K miles. In went Amsoil Euro 5-40 (VW/Audi spec). Will see how it holds up.

Over and out fellow RS6'ers.

mdegracia
October 5th, 2012, 12:47
Nice.

Are you getting a good price on the Amsoil Euro? I only ask because for the listed online price, you can get redline 5w40 with almost a full point more of HTHS for the same price.

Note - ASTM d4741 and d4683 - provide essential equivalent results.

4.2Crew
October 5th, 2012, 14:14
Wow!... Now that's what I call a complete oil change!

Thanks, Gary!

lswing
October 5th, 2012, 15:04
Good details there, thanks Gary, I'll bring you my car next week! One of these days I'll actually make it down to the shop, cheers.

Brav
October 5th, 2012, 16:30
What kind of tip are you using for compressed air? I imagine it blasting all over the car and my face.

G2
October 5th, 2012, 20:12
Nice.

Are you getting a good price on the Amsoil Euro? I only ask because for the listed online price, you can get redline 5w40 with almost a full point more of HTHS for the same price.

Note - ASTM d4741 and d4683 - provide essential equivalent results.

Yes, I get Amsoil at dealer cost (about 30% less). It's much less than Redline at a retail store. Anyone can buy Amsoil for wholesale at www.oiloregon.com (http://www.oiloregon.com) , just sign up. It ships from nearest warehouse across the US, not just Oregon.

HTHS is just one of many important performance categories of oil. It wouldn't be my primary choice for choosing a particular oil. From experience a higher TBN is very important to help protect engine seals that are attacked by acidity. A high VI helps lower blowby, which in turn seems to reduce soot, which seems to help maintain a more neutral TBN level. A low Kinematic viscosity (for a given weight: 5-40) helps with quick oil presurization on startup, esp. in the cold.

I'm not an oil engineer, but be interested to see more info on the Redline oil.

I've been committed to Amsoil (the inventors of synthetic oil for cars 40yrs ago) for 12+ years and feel overall it offers the best performance for the money, especially with their great wholesale program. I previously used Redline (good stuff of course) from about 1989, but switched when living in WI (where Amsoil is made). Been super happy every since. Use it in everything, from the lawn mower to a 12G capacity diesel engine.

G2
October 5th, 2012, 20:16
What kind of tip are you using for compressed air? I imagine it blasting all over the car and my face.

A rubber tipped one for the oil cooler line and a long metal tube type for the engine oil pan. It's amazing how much extra oil never drains out. On the newer Porsche's about 4 qts is left in. Takes lots of work to drain it out-- why the factory doesn't have a drain is a question left unanswered.....

G2
October 5th, 2012, 20:57
Good details there, thanks Gary, I'll bring you my car next week! One of these days I'll actually make it down to the shop, cheers.

Thanks much Lou. Been wanting to see your machine for awhile, so c'mon by or call!