PDA

View Full Version : C5 Transmission

Primo
September 27th, 2012, 08:44
I got a '04 RS6 Avant, loving the car.

However, if my transmission should need replacing, will the transmission from any of the newer models fit/work properly? Have this been done before, and is it recommended by Audi?

Regards.

ThrillHouse
September 27th, 2012, 11:45
After seeing the nifty new rs5 having a 4.2 and a dsg to handle the power... Got me wondering if it'll work. Its no 6 speed but I like to know my options!

4everRS
September 27th, 2012, 14:43
There have been small discussions about this before regarding the C6 transmission. I think the problem lies within the software coding or something.

4everRS
September 27th, 2012, 14:45
After seeing the nifty new rs5 having a 4.2 and a dsg to handle the power... Got me wondering if it'll work. Its no 6 speed but I like to know my options!
The new rs5 has the same hp but much lower torque than the c5 rs6. I have a feeling that trans would get trashed the same.

bmwade
September 27th, 2012, 15:10
I was wondering this same thing...it seems like software issue could be solved by a custom tune of some sort....but then i suppose you would start adding $$$$

mrdave
September 27th, 2012, 15:13
Your best option is probably a manual transmission swap after your auto dies, if you don't want to replace it with the same thing. Although, I'd love to see someone tackle a C6 trans swap.

lswing
September 27th, 2012, 15:39
Nice pic, car looks sweet!

SteveKen
September 27th, 2012, 16:22
There have been small discussions about this before regarding the C6 transmission. I think the problem lies within the software coding or something.

On a similar note, I know that the 4.2 D3 A8's transmission will bolt right up to the RS6 motor, but there is physically no room for the pass side turbo due to the front diff design. The front axle geometry will also change, too. TozoM8 can comment on this if anyone is interested.

Plus I'm guessing that the same software issues would happen with the D3 transmission, too.

Manual conversion it is, then. PM me if interested in this.

Amulet-S6
September 27th, 2012, 17:51
I had the same idea/curiosity regarding the 7-speed DSG. So I called ZF's US office and spoke to an engineer. As he patiently explained to me (in a very dumbed-down manner) the TCU module on the DSG transmissions have to "speak" to the ECU also to be able to match revs correctly. So he made it seem that writing that much code would be a daunting task (well beyond reasonable.) Sounded like a VHS vs. Beta mismatch to me.

FWIW, Jim

Primo
September 27th, 2012, 18:44
Thank you for your quick replies - So my choices are as follows:

- Replace transmission with an identical automatic transmission
- Replace transmission with an manual transmission
- Replace both the transmission and engine*

* I mean, wouldn't it be cool to have a 5.0 V10 in a C5? :P

Nice pic, car looks sweet!

Thanks, it's not customized in any way, so it's a little "anonymous" in regular traffic, if you know what I mean. It doesn't attract any unwanted attention! :D

ThrillHouse
September 27th, 2012, 18:58
Good info. I'd think eliminating the grenade (I mean torque converter) with dsg would be good. Non issue it looks like thou!

Brav
September 27th, 2012, 21:07
There is also the option of upgrading the stock ZF trans - send it to TozoM8. upgrade valve body, and whatever else is inside that I can't comprehend. This would be still a bit less than a 6 speed swap, and should be dead reliable afterward. I really considered it, but for me the 6 speed is a big draw, especially after driving one.

mik15
September 27th, 2012, 22:05
regarding the DSG gearbox, i have a friend with an '11 VW GOlf R20 heavily modified and tuned by Revo and the car is doing now over 500hp and 600NM of torque, but the gearbox has been modified in Germany to be able to keep up with the torque...so i guess the stock DSG will not be able to handle the torque of the RS6 C5. The V10 RS6 gearbox would be the right one as it can hold up to 1000NM of torque, which is more than enough :)

mik15
September 27th, 2012, 22:15
regarding the DSG gearbox, i have a friend with a '11 VW GOlf R20 heavily modified and tuned by Revo and the car is doing now over 500hp and 600NM of torque, but the gearbox has been modified in Germany to be able to keep up with the torque...so i guess the stock DSG will not be able to handle the torque of the RS6 C5. The V10 RS6 gearbox would be the right one as it can hold up to 1000NM of torque, which is more than enough :)

bmwade
September 27th, 2012, 22:50
How are warrenty companies with regards to replacing bad TC and trans with ACE and upgraded trans? Will they help out or do they only replace stock with stock? I'm going to be facing the TC issue soon and want to go ACE and possibly upgraded trans, but only if warranty foots the bill...

TozoM8
September 27th, 2012, 23:14
I had the same idea/curiosity regarding the 7-speed DSG. So I called ZF's US office and spoke to an engineer. As he patiently explained to me (in a very dumbed-down manner) the TCU module on the DSG transmissions have to "speak" to the ECU also to be able to match revs correctly. So he made it seem that writing that much code would be a daunting task (well beyond reasonable.) Sounded like a VHS vs. Beta mismatch to me.

FWIW, Jim

^^^^^^^^^^^ this. Rebuilt 5HP24A or 01E 6 speed manual. The 5HP26 has the front output flanges 4.5" closer to the motor so your axles would blow off at 70mph.

Primo
September 28th, 2012, 03:54
Might aswell just get a 2014 RS6 aswell then :p