PDA

View Full Version : Steering is feeling heavy, is my rack going??

MNRS6
September 27th, 2012, 01:41
I have noticed lately that my steering is feeling a little more heavy than normal, is my steering rack going? I plan replacing the power steering fluid and see if that helps. What are the symptoms of a failing steering rack? What about a failing power steering pump?

Thinking about selling the beast soon, how come everything starts to break once you get the thought of selling??

Thanks

Jim

Brav
September 27th, 2012, 18:16
Failing pump is usually a squeal. I think a bad rack could start getting notchy when turning.

Don't piss her off by thinking of selling. Check the fluid first of all, top it off. Then search for a leak.

lswing
September 27th, 2012, 18:24
I had no physical symptoms before mine went out. Basically started to see fluid, then the leak got progressively worse. You'll get nasty squealing if the fluid gets low enough...then the $400 pump gets toasted.

MNRS6
September 28th, 2012, 02:14
I had no physical symptoms before mine went out. Basically started to see fluid, then the leak got progressively worse. You'll get nasty squealing if the fluid gets low enough...then the $400 pump gets toasted.

I feel better now, no leaks yet.

lswing
September 28th, 2012, 03:03
Good deal, maybe the pump is getting weak, or you need fluid changed. My steering rack ordeal was f'd up, defect from Audi, fought to get help with labor, totaled about $4k out of pocket...

G2
September 29th, 2012, 06:40
Low tire pressure (and worn tires), colder weather or the wrong PS fluid will have an effect.