PDA

View Full Version : Another 'whats the best tune' thread... REVO, Eurocharged, EPL, APR, MTM

alrightroad
September 27th, 2012, 00:29
My beast is still stock, aside from RNS-E. 52K miles. Looking to make the jump on a tune shortly. What say you on tune preference?

I know Kev is Eurocharged dealer... Kev, have you driven the REVO compared with the Eurocharged? Looks like Eurocharged is running a special right now for $428. Can you get that deal as well and still make a buck?

REVO... seems like quite a few on the board run it. Good, bad, ugly?

MTM and APR... $$$$ are they worth it??...

EPL... they will be doing the tune on my stage 3 allroad project soon so I will already be in bed with them. Solid folks and they have given me a ton of free advice along the way. Their RS tune is $799. Anyone driven the RS6 base tune from them?

makaveli42
September 27th, 2012, 00:53
VIPER FTW! i had a eurocharge and it was awful and Jerry @ Eurocharge was a dousche to be. but ive heard good things about them, maybe i just got hosed? but my viper is a lot faster and better than the eurocharge i had. (it was the 3rd car to be eurocharged so it was an old software i assume)

Bigglezworth
September 27th, 2012, 02:24
Are you looking for a tune that could necessitate in some tranny maintenance in the future, or just something to spark things up. How concerned are you on fule mileage? Everyone loves more power until they find out they get half as good gas mileage as a result.

alrightroad
September 27th, 2012, 02:49
Well, all the above. Fuel economy is concern but not deal breaker... I only drive the RS a few days a week at most and the occassional road trip. Spark things up, naturally. Cause a divorce from the trans, not likely, but I am willing. 01E conversion would not be out of the question in the future but I'd rather not 'have' to in less than, say, 18 months-2 years.

4everRS
September 27th, 2012, 03:04
Mtm is not worth it. Revo has had mixed results. It mostly revolves around the fact you can screw with it. EC is a great deal for what you get. However, ongoing service should be a huge factor in you decision. If you have a local EPL rep, I would seriously consider that for the money. Viper is very good. I've drive a viper tuned RS6 and it was very similar IMO to APR. Rich at Viper is pretty great from what I hear.

APR is really expensive. It's really good though. I inherited mine from the previous owner. I can't see myself spending 2800 bucks on a tune. I almost bought a EC tune from Jerry before I knew it already had APR (long story). I think its probably the best bang for the buck. Personally, if I needed to buy a tune, I have contacts that knows Tony and EPL well and is a distributor for him. They can read your logs and customize the tune to your needs. I would likely do that.

Really, really happy with my APR though. Glad I have it.

alrightroad
September 27th, 2012, 03:14
Mtm is not worth it. Revo has had mixed results. It mostly revolves around the fact you can screw with it. EC is a great deal for what you get. However, ongoing service should be a huge factor in you decision. If you have a local EPL rep, I would seriously consider that for the money. Viper is very good. I've drive a viper tuned RS6 and it was very similar IMO to APR. Rich at Viper is pretty great from what I hear.

APR is really expensive. It's really good though. I inherited mine from the previous owner. I can't see myself spending 2800 bucks on a tune. I almost bought a EC tune from Jerry before I knew it already had APR (long story). I think its probably the best bang for the buck. Personally, if I needed to buy a tune, I have contacts that knows Tony and EPL well and is a distributor for him. They can read your logs and customize the tune to your needs. I would likely do that.

Really, really happy with my APR though. Glad I have it.

I have EPL and APR dealers in town. Leaning toward EPL.

QuattroRS
September 27th, 2012, 04:51
Given this quote and the reasonable EPL price.

Go with EPL

If you like to tinker and data log doing much of your own DIY then EC is a great value as well. If you have the EPL guys local and they stand behind the work its a no brainer.

I have EPL and APR dealers in town. Leaning toward EPL.

mik15
September 27th, 2012, 05:07
don't you have ABT in US? i consider it to be a good tune, even though it's a conservative one in order to ensure an easy life for the tranny, they've only increased the power to 505hp and 630NM of torque, unlike MTM which went to 535hp and over 700NM of torque which killed the tranny too soon. I've compared mine with a stock one head to head and it's a big difference, the owner of the stock one was really impressed when he drove mine and i was really disappointed with his, it didn't seem like a 450hp car, maybe he's got other issues going on, though nothing serious came up on the VCDS...but the acceleration and throttle response was slow...it didn't seem very eager to rev up, maybe i am just used to mine :) . Another plus for ABT is that i've only heard of a very few failures, but i've heard of many for the MTM ones...

ben916
September 27th, 2012, 05:15
I have driven:
Stock
Eurocharged v2
EPL

Now the EPL felt strong but I was more focused on the 6 speed conversion versus the EPL tune and the Racing Stasis coil overs...

4everRS
September 27th, 2012, 05:28
don't you have ABT in US? i consider it to be a good tune, even though it's a conservative one in order to ensure an easy life for the tranny, they've only increased the power to 505hp and 630NM of torque, unlike MTM which went to 535hp and over 700NM of torque which killed the tranny too soon. I've compared mine with a stock one head to head and it's a big difference, the owner of the stock one was really impressed when he drove mine and i was really disappointed with his, it didn't seem like a 450hp car, maybe he's got other issues going on, though nothing serious came up on the VCDS...but the acceleration and throttle response was slow...it didn't seem very eager to rev up, maybe i am just used to mine :) . Another plus for ABT is that i've only heard of a very few failures, but i've heard of many for the MTM ones...
No ABT here. I don't buy the 535 from MTM. The data logs I've seen from mtm are junk.

To the OP: you REALLY need to consider the MTM TCU chip before any tunes. Not doing it is asking for the torque converter to fail.

alrightroad
September 27th, 2012, 16:32
No ABT here. I don't buy the 535 from MTM. The data logs I've seen from mtm are junk.

To the OP: you REALLY need to consider the MTM TCU chip before any tunes. Not doing it is asking for the torque converter to fail.

Right. Will be sending TCU to Francois/Horchaus... or waiting on Brav to hit me up with his used one when he goes 6spd.

Brav
September 27th, 2012, 18:35
REVO is decent for the money. As long as you dial back the boost from max. Mine went into limp mode pretty quickly. I didn't see any worsening of mileage. Function of your right foot.

I will try to get you my TCU soon! Waiting on clutch tests from Raven.

alrightroad
September 27th, 2012, 22:20
No rush brother. I'm just fine with my plain, ol RS6 puttering along like an old lady. ha ha.

kevin
September 27th, 2012, 22:49
I've had REVO, GIAC and now EuroCharged on my Rs6 and frankly I like the custon tune that Jerry at EuroCharged designed for me the best. He was able to write out the rear o2's and the SAI. Adjust boost and timing to suit my driving habits and type of gas I use. Pretty awesome tune for the $$.

makaveli42
September 28th, 2012, 00:27
remember too that APR and VIPER can do a left foot brake tune so you can launch like a bad ass. Rich at VIPER can also delete o2s in the tune and make a custom tune for ya....plus he does a chip for the TCU as well...and a fairly good price too IMO.