PDA

View Full Version : Leaky ICs? I think so....

makaveli42
September 26th, 2012, 02:58
Could this be why i think my ride is slower than it should be?

As I'm leaving the Wendy's parking lot a hear something dragging....i get home and find that my under car engine cover is dragging, so I took it off and found this...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/makaveli42o/RS6/P9240079.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/makaveli42o/RS6/P9240076.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/makaveli42o/RS6/P9240089.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/makaveli42o/RS6/P9240094.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/makaveli42o/RS6/P9240095.jpg

ewwwwwhhh!

Would replacing the ICs and tubing help with a lot of HP loss? I thought that I saw someone on here say they had leaky ICs and got Wagners (without the carbon fiber pieces) and gained like 30-35hp on a dyno?

I also just got an Interstate Supreme Warranty....wonder if they cover ICs?:hahahehe:

lswing
September 26th, 2012, 18:35
There are some great threads on cleaning and JB Welding the cracks...take apart, add new hoses, you'll be set! No need for Wagners unless you're going bigger turbos...not to say they wouldn't help a bit in general.

September 26th, 2012, 22:52
Had to turn the laptop sideways, but, yes the I/C's are leaking. The grime on the bottom of the I/C radiator is a dead giveaway. If it is any consolation they all do this. I don't think you would be losing more than 15-20hp from this if you are not throwing a code. If you are down 40-50hp I would look somewhere else for a failure. I resealed mine with JB Weld and they are fine now. You can't weld because they aren't built that way.

makaveli42
September 27th, 2012, 00:56
i dont plan on getting bigger turbos...so i might just try and reseal these. i saw that some company makes larger one for $1200 with your cores as trade in...thats not too bad i dont think. But i deff plan on getting a more aggressive stage tune from Viper...so figure Wagners would help that too...

September 27th, 2012, 01:24
That or a 1/4 inch woodworking chisel, some acetone, a tooth socket aerator, and $6 worth of JB Weld.

Bigglezworth
September 27th, 2012, 01:34
By saying bigger intercooler, I'm assuming you mean thicker cores? Bigger doesn't necessary improve the overall output of the intercooler. By this I don't mean it flows any less, but rather cools less. I've run a FI Turbo Buick for a couple of decades and the good ol Buick boys well know their stuff when it comes to where they can extract more power from.

Anyway, the photos are a clear indication that you're losing some boost somewhere. It might be just at the hose/flange connection. It might be the flange housing to the core(s). Take it out, clean it up, and then bench test it with a simple compressed air set-up. You'll find your problem sooner than later I would hesitate to guess.

Tim

September 27th, 2012, 01:41
You can take it out, clean it, and I can guarantee bubbles all around... the most being from the bottom of the cooler because of the way the cooler is mounted. Then take it to the radiator guys and have them tell you they can't fix it because of the manufacturing process. New coolers (might as well have Wags if you got the cash) or DIY for less than the cost of a #3 meal at McDonalds. All depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you have. I've got time and not a lot of $ so I chose the JB Weld.

BTW, I don't think that your leaky I/C's are the reason you think your car is slow. I went through all this B.S. of leaky I/C's and it was a bad MAF that didn't throw a CEL that made my RS6 slow.

makaveli42
September 28th, 2012, 00:31
BTW, I don't think that your leaky I/C's are the reason you think your car is slow. I went through all this B.S. of leaky I/C's and it was a bad MAF that didn't throw a CEL that made my RS6 slow.

how did u figure out it was the MAF??? and after all the talk, i might just do the JB Weld thing....id rather spend the $2k on my exhaust than Wagners anyways.

thanks for the input everyone btw...

makaveli42
September 28th, 2012, 00:32
By saying bigger intercooler, I'm assuming you mean thicker cores? Bigger doesn't necessary improve the overall output of the intercooler. By this I don't mean it flows any less, but rather cools less. I've run a FI Turbo Buick for a couple of decades and the good ol Buick boys well know their stuff when it comes to where they can extract more power from.

Anyway, the photos are a clear indication that you're losing some boost somewhere. It might be just at the hose/flange connection. It might be the flange housing to the core(s). Take it out, clean it up, and then bench test it with a simple compressed air set-up. You'll find your problem sooner than later I would hesitate to guess.

Tim

yes bigger cores is what i meant...thanks!

September 28th, 2012, 04:31
how did u figure out it was the MAF??? and after all the talk, i might just do the JB Weld thing....id rather spend the $2k on my exhaust than Wagners anyways.

thanks for the input everyone btw...

MAF's were throwing "MAF Implausible" code. Not enough to throw a CEL, but enough to be down about 100hp. Unfortunately the ECU apparently sums the MAF readings and then decides how much air it is getting vs. RPM. One of my MAF's was dead and the other was normal but no CEL. Had to VAG it to find out. Used VCDS Lite and a cable from eBay. Really need the full VAG to troubleshoot.