PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes stuck on! HELP!!

bmwade
September 23rd, 2012, 01:53
Tried to dyno the car tonight, got it all strapped down. Try the rolling test and the back wheels won't turn as they should. They worked on the dyno thinking it wasn't set up right, we try a test run and realize the rear brakes are stuck on! Got it off the dyno, drive a couple blocks, brakes are smoking BAD!! My diagnosis it that they are stuck full on! But i dont know why! Now I'm waiting on a tow truck but as its 8 at night on a Friday I'm about to get raped by the tow company...

anyone have any clue what could be wrong? Anything I can do to diagnose and possibly fix in a gas station parking lot with the supplied jack and basic tools so I can drive home instead of paying my life savings to tow company??

September 23rd, 2012, 02:07
E brake? on--off-on--off? And how far to home? Rotors/pads vs. tow?

September 23rd, 2012, 02:11
Rear brakes require a tool to reset the caliper. I don't know why they would be stuck on. They will only wear a bit before they are free if the cable is stuck.

bmwade
September 23rd, 2012, 03:21
Well it's 40 miles to home so there is no driving home. E-brake is off.

September 23rd, 2012, 03:28
You drove it there right? It was ok till they strapped it down? My guess is they wrapped the strap around the ebrake cable and pulled. Weigh the cost of a a tow vs the cost of rear pads and rotors, Depends on insurance and other options.

bmwade
September 23rd, 2012, 04:24
Yeah i think thats what happend. got it towed. tow was only 125! I was about as happy as I could be tonight! My mechanic is gonna take care of me first thing Monday....he owes me one anyways. I told him I want a rewards card...

bmwade
September 25th, 2012, 18:19
Guys tried to strap the car down by the ebrake brackets, broke one of them off(had to be welded back on) and the other one got pulled loose which activated the ebrakes. Silver lining is I apparently won the euro class at the show.