PDA

View Full Version : Future Audi TT Mk3 engines.

The Pretender
September 15th, 2012, 00:57
I think Audi have lost it for a while now on the engine department.
The Next Gen Audi TT Mk3 need to make a big leap engine wise.
The 2.5 TFSI engine is not a refined engine, in what ever way you look at it.
For starters it's a very heavy engine with 184 Kg of weight. (that's more then the old 3.2 VR6 engine)
It delivers a lot of power but that's all IMHO.
Although i think it will return in the next TT Mk3, it would not be my choice.
In the small engine department there is not that much interesting.
The new VW 3 cylinder is not a good engine for the next TT IMHO.
It's to small, but Audi could develop there own 3 Cylinder engine based on the 5 cylinder TT RS engine, cut it down by 2 cylinders and you have almost a 1.5 litre 3 cylinder TFSI engine with around 200 hp.
The 1.4 TwinCharger engine days are numbered.
Because there are better turbo's that can do the same job better as the supercharger and turbo Charger together can do according to VAG.

So what is the future IMHO, engine wise.

The magic word is "Audi TT 1.5 TFSI E-quattro" ;)

chewym
September 17th, 2012, 19:34
The 1.8T and the new 2.0T will give the TT and TT-S competitive power in the 180-300 hp range.

The Pretender
September 27th, 2012, 18:48
I'm much more interested in the 1.5 TFSI 3-cylinder engine.

tailpipe
September 27th, 2012, 18:59
The 5-cylinder engine is a brilliant engine. Incredible power, incredible sound, incredible tractability. As you say, though, it is a bit unrefined, but the concept is sound. I'd like to see the same engine in the next TT-RS and RS3 but I'd like to see better fuel economy before more power. Having 340 bhp is amazing, but it's more than you need 91% of the time. Getting 24 mpg instead of the claimed 31 mpg is a bummer. I'd like to see a genuine 37-39 mpg from a 360 bhp 2.5 litre 5-pot. Without it, the new 300 bhp 2.0T inline four S3 may be my next weapon of choice.

A 3-cylinder 1.5T in an RS-TT? You must be joking. Buy a mini, FFS.

The Pretender
September 27th, 2012, 19:22
A 3-cylinder 1.5T in an RS-TT? You must be joking. Buy a mini, FFS.
No not in a TT RS.
Just a TT with it and e-quattro.
The base 1.5 ltr 3 cylinder TFSI will have 130 hp, but is capable of producing more, up to 200+ hp.
e-quattro is two electro motors with 43 hp together.
You can get a combine power of ± 250 hp, more then enough for my needs.

The 2.5 TFSI is fun for a while but nothing more, just 400Km on a tank of fuel does not cut it for me anymore.
500-700 Km is more to my likings and the 1.5 TFSI 3 cylinder can do that with ease.
And if it sounds anything close to the BMW 3 cylinder it would be cool.

JavierNuvolari
September 27th, 2012, 23:07
For a dd I think a 3 cyl option is nice, just imagine all the hairdressers that will get that engine, hahahaha. On a more serious note, 3 cyl engines DO sound nice. In college I had a friend who had a Suzuki Maruti with a 3 cyl engine and let me tell you it sounded great!

chewym
October 3rd, 2012, 03:08
I'm much more interested in the 1.5 TFSI 3-cylinder engine.

I don't know what if any fuel economy improvement it would produce over the new 1.4 TSI with cylinder deactivation.

The Pretender
October 3rd, 2012, 04:52
I don't know what if any fuel economy improvement it would produce over the new 1.4 TSI with cylinder deactivation.
A 3 cylinder have less internal friction and there for use less fuel, and cylinder deactivation is also possible on a 3 cilinder.

chewym
October 3rd, 2012, 18:17
A 3 cylinder have less internal friction and there for use less fuel, and cylinder deactivation is also possible on a 3 cilinder.

The difference is probably really, really small in the grand scheme of things. I bet no more than 1-2% of a gain. The only reason why BMW is doing the 3 cylinder is because it's cheaper to cut off the fourth cylinder than create a new smaller four cylinder. Same reason why Audi/VW engines have come in 3.2/4.2/5.2 sizes for the past decade. It probably took a while to figure out how to make the 3 cylinders smooth enough cheaply enough.

Honestly it looks like Audi put the 1.5T into the latest concept to answer back to BMW's three cylinder. The actual engine might not be ready for a few years (certainly not featured in the A3 for now)

The Pretender
October 3rd, 2012, 18:33
I would not be surprised to see this engine introduced in the A1 very soon. (like Geneva 2013.)