PDA

View Full Version : WTB; Trans for rebuild

lswing
September 13th, 2012, 19:38
Starting my search for a donor trans, give me a shout if you know of one. I'm a bit concerned rebuilding a trans that I know nothing about, so any input on other things that could be wrong with one that won't get fixed in a rebuild?

Tozo, let me know a cost and good time this fall/winter, thanks!

Brav, when you gonna have that mush box pulled out?

Brav
September 13th, 2012, 19:44
I would say in about 2 weeks. I have actually been able to drive my car OK from time to time, just slips intermittently when hot. Probably a good candidate for rebuild. I think I even have a pallet to put it on to ship to Tozo. I will try to get an estimate from Raven as to when they will be ready and let you know.

lswing
September 13th, 2012, 20:35
Cool, PM me and we can work out price/time. I'll try and contact Tozo to work out the same...

Brambo
September 14th, 2012, 01:44
I just sent tozo my old one for a core charge. The one he built for me so far is solid. At least that's what the shop is telling me. Have not seen the car in almost 2 months.

rs6queens
September 14th, 2012, 07:03
I have one for sale check your PM

September 15th, 2012, 03:49
I would say in about 2 weeks. I have actually been able to drive my car OK from time to time, just slips intermittently when hot. Probably a good candidate for rebuild. I think I even have a pallet to put it on to ship to Tozo. I will try to get an estimate from Raven as to when they will be ready and let you know.

Can always bypass the pressure solenoid if you want to delay the pull. Still loving mine.

Brav
September 15th, 2012, 11:00
Can always bypass the pressure solenoid if you want to delay the pull. Still loving mine.

how do you do that?

September 15th, 2012, 13:37
Some background:

Mine was doing the same thing as yours Brav. Fine when cold, slips in 1-4th when hot but not in 5th. You can also put your foot on the brake and bring the revs up to see if the trans stays in gear . Should be about 1800 rpm? with a stock torque converter. Mine would slip violently out of gear when hot. Since it works when cold it is not completely shot. Tozo helped me troubleshoot this all this.

EDS-1 is the solenoid in the valve body that reduces the line pressure in the trans to give you smooth shifts from P-N-D and probably quite a few other things. I believe when the trans gets hot, the A-clutch is not holding for whatever reason. By bypassing the solenoid, my trans seems to work albeit with a few quirks. It shifts hard from P-N-D and will shift hard from 5-4 if you don't have just a touch of power on. Other than that I'm happy (mostly because this is a $3 fix instead of a $6000 fix).

If you've read this far and still want to proceed:

1) Drain the fluid and drop the pan.

2) EDS-1 is on the far left or right of the valve body (mine was green). It will have a purple (maybe 2) and grey wire attached. The connector just clips on. Remove it.

3) Take a 5-6 ohm resistor (or 2-10 ohms in parallel like I had to use) and insert in the connector. I used 2 blade connectors to attach the resistors.

4) Turn the key on and make sure the trans doesn't go into fail safe mode (it will if the resistance is wrong or a solenoid is not hooked up).

5) Reinstall the pan and refill.

Total cost if you reuse the fluid and filter is about $3 plus your time. It is not without its quirks, but mine hasn't been bad enough for me to want to pull the trans yet.

ttboost
November 18th, 2012, 14:36
This thread fizzled..whatever happened? lswing..ever find a slushbox?

lswing
November 18th, 2012, 18:23
This thread fizzled..whatever happened? lswing..ever find a slushbox?

Yep, Tozo had one, he's doing the rebuild now...really miss driving the beast, soon!

ttboost
November 18th, 2012, 18:52
Awesome. Good Luck.

lswing
November 22nd, 2012, 02:07
I finished the trans today and my shipping guy will pick it up Monday.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving! Gabor

Yes I will, thanks! Let's see if we get her back on the road before Xmas, another part restored, ready for another 100k!