PDA

View Full Version : from DRC to... Koni struts...or maybe to ST coilovers? what would you recommend?

mik15
September 12th, 2012, 15:09
i know there is also Bilstein and KW, but as 4.2Crew said very well, i don't really want to go that extreme as i don't really beat up this car, all i want is at least what DRC used to offer me in his good days, i don't want a stiff ride and i don't track the car!

So, that being said, i know that the Koni struts have already been tested by a few users here and initially it was for me the way to go, but then TechGuru came in and said he installed the ST coilovers, therefore the dilemma! After i've done the proper researches, it looks like that ST is made by KW and it's basically something similar to KW1, you only get height adjustment! On the auto forums ST has received great feedback from the users! Even though it's a bit more expensive than Koni struts, not by much, just a couple of hundred bucks, i would go for this one, because what i don't really like about the Konis is the fact that you can't adjust them after you install it without removing it from the car, which seems like a PITA...what i like about Koni is that it's been so far proven to be a good alternative to the most expensive well known other options!

I was also thinking of buying FK, they have coilovers systems dedicated to RS6, but i don't really trust the brand and have even read that it might be manufactured in China:doh:.

I know, if money were no issues, i would go for the PSS9 in a blink but i am also gathering parts for the engine drop i will be doing in the winter as i need to upgrade the gearbox and all the other bits that should be done while engine out ! :)

Anyone has any experience with the ST coilovers? Which one would you go for, Koni struts or ST?

hahnmgh63
September 12th, 2012, 16:44
I have the KWV3's and although not cheap I'm very happy with them and they do have a lifetime warranty. I know Koni offers a lifetime warranty but I have Koni's on two of my Porsches, a 911 & a 944Turbo and have had their shocks fail on both cars, not anything catastrophic but just the damping go away. They will repair them but it is a pain. The Europeans have been using the KW's longer than us in N.A. and I haven't heard of a KWV3 failure on an RS6 yet. You definitely want the ride height adjustability whichever you decide, that was my biggest complaint with my original DRC which never failed up until 50K when it was replaced under the N.A. DRC recall for the jacked up crap which I pulled from the car less than a week after install, I was embarred to drive it afterwards. Never happier with the suspension now.

4.2Crew
September 12th, 2012, 16:49
Mik15: From what you have described as your driving style, I'd recomend that IF you go the Koni/stock spring route to set the rebound dampening to 1/2 turn out for the front and 1/4 turn out for the rears. Your driving style appears similiar to mine. I initially set the rebounding too tight resulting in a harsher than desired daily driver ride. But have since readjusted the settings to 1/2F and 1/4R. Just wanted to mitigate the risk of needing to disassemble to reset rebound dampening if the Koni's are your choice. Good luck!

mik15
September 12th, 2012, 16:52
so got to head out for the ST then...that's what i thought too and since they're backed up by KW, they should be pretty good too...
4.2Crew - we definitely have the same driving style and use of the car, but what really bothers me is that you need to remove the struts to adjust it...

Mr. Rictus
September 12th, 2012, 17:49
I've got the STs on my S6 and I like them. I've put about 40k on them and the ride is better than stock, even at my (low) ride height. You can find STs for $800 or so at AMI Motorsports. I'd give them a call to order since the RS6 application isn't specifically listed on their site.

mik15
September 12th, 2012, 18:02
40k on them sounds very good :), i found them on ecs for 799 and i'll buy them from them as they have it in stock! There isn't a specific ST kit for RS6, i'll buy the one for the A6 4.2 Quattro!

UrS6
September 12th, 2012, 18:31
I got H&R coil overs. They are height adjustable--no damping adjustment-- and the struts/shocks are Bilstein. Lifetime warranty. Cost a little more than ST. I went through 5 sets of Konis in 6 years on my S6 and will never get them again.

mik15
September 12th, 2012, 18:34
H&R is also a good alternative but the feedback from the users in Europe is that the ride is too stiff compared to PSS9 or KW3 and this put me off...

bmwade
September 12th, 2012, 18:41
getting my konis installed today along with frozen rotors & raxles. should be out for my first drive this afternoon! will update then!

kismetcapitan
September 12th, 2012, 22:43
I went max on the rear and halfway on the front with my Konis, and I wish I went max on the front as well. With H&R springs, it's pretty harsh, but the front is a little too bouncy. So that needs to be set to max as well.

Coilovers are the best option due to compression, dampening, and height adjustability. But the Koni route was cheap and I have no regrets, as I still feel the car rolls a bit too much (even with Hotchkis sways).