PDA

View Full Version : RS6: Reduced MPG with bigger wheels and tires?

G2
September 10th, 2012, 20:46
Just curious if anyone has some before and after results? I'm still hunting for wider wheels and tires and curious if big wheels makes a noticeable loss in MPG, or if lighter wheels might even help some?

FWIW- On stock 18" wheels thru a mountainous 325 mile road trip in Oregon (from 450ft up to 5,000ft) averaged between 22MPG (coming back; down) and almost 24 MPG (going to; up) for the highway portions cruising. There were a number of WOT "runs" :race:, so very happy with the mileage considering the car was nearly full of people and stuff.

lswing
September 10th, 2012, 22:36
Gary, good to see you posting here. Not sure about bigger tires, but within a same tire size you'll get a few mpg difference, you've probably seen. Great how the freeway mpg is good eh? Makes up for my 12mpg around town....

Lou

ben916
September 11th, 2012, 00:32
There is also a setting in VAGCOM that if you go to larger rims (19" or 20"), you have to code for it.

lswing
September 11th, 2012, 00:43
There is also a setting in VAGCOM that if you go to larger rims (19" or 20"), you have to code for it.

That's not what he asked:) So does this keep the speedo accurate? Anything else it might change?

G2
September 15th, 2012, 06:46
The new wheels are mounted up, which includes B-stone S-04's in 275/35-19. There might be a slight MPG loss, but doesn't seem innitially signficant.

No MIL issues; nothing comes to mind as to why an Adaption (or "recoding") via Vagcom would be required (?) for larger wheels-- in terms of any per se problems.

ben916
September 15th, 2012, 07:54
The new wheels are mounted up, which includes B-stone S-04's in 275/35-19. There might be a slight MPG loss, but doesn't seem innitially signficant.

No MIL issues; nothing comes to mind as to why an Adaption (or "recoding") via Vagcom would be required (?) for larger wheels-- in terms of any per se problems.

It is for all that coding of speedo, mpg and that shitty text based nav system (yeah it used GPS by 2003 standards)
I only calc my mpg by resetting my trip gauge at fill up and then math it out for gl purchase and total miles.
The OEM mpg is information, at best.

G2
September 15th, 2012, 18:37

This made it sound as thought it was required: "have to". The other points made are worthwhile, however.

In owning 3 Audi's with the digital MPG/etc display have found it very accurate. The new oversized tires should be within 3%. Adding to the base MPG, whether actual or via the MPG display.

Haven't really crunched the #'s (at least not for this car; didn't buy it for MPG ;-)