PDA

View Full Version : 01E Manual Swap process begins

Brav
September 10th, 2012, 20:18
I don't have much to report just yet, except that my auto is slipping. Its drivable, but annoying.

While doing all of my cost/benefit analysis of going back to an auto or doing the manual, it was clear it would never be close in price. It was a big nut to swallow, estimating at least 10k including labor and parts, without unforeseeable problems. I searched for a donor car, salvaged or otherwise, and came across the cheapest 6 speed A6 in the country which was only about 20 miles from me. Picked her up for 3200. I think it was fate..

After a test drive and a trip to Raven to confirm its condition, it was decided it was the perfect car to cannibalize. Remarkably good shape for the mileage, except the paint was pretty faded and dinged. As far as the parts I needed were concerned, it was perfect. More expensive initially, but a LOT easier than chasing down individual parts. And she shifted beautifully. There is maybe 2k in salvageable parts (engine, interior, brakes, chassis) so in the end it won't cost me so much, but I do have to pay Raven to dismantle it.

I bought it Friday and drove it the same day 600 miles round trip on a shooting adventure in Nevada.. without regard for the exterior, off-roading on a dry river bed was awesome! Kept up with the trucks, as long as I had clearance. More parts for Raven to clean. I will say, its been a relative joy to drive the A6 manual.. very confortable daily driver. For the price, its outstanding.. I would consider picking up another like this in the future just to take some miles off the RS. Rides like a boat however..

Anyhow, here is the happy couple, ready to be joined in holy Frankenstein matrimony. Just waiting for Raven to finalize their new clutch package for it, and their new adapter plate which is being engineered now. I will post the progress as it comes, probably a few weeks out from anything else.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/ckreidel/Audi%20RS6/IMAG2402.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/ckreidel/Audi%20RS6/IMAG2404.jpg

kday
September 10th, 2012, 20:29
Nice!

I looked for a donor car for a while but didn't find anything that was suitable. I'm still collecting bits and pieces...

mik15
September 10th, 2012, 20:37
i had an A6 like your donor car some years ago, exactly same interior and outside color :), loved it, even though the regular C5 is a boat in terms of handling, it's very comfortable on long distances. Good luck with the project !

ben916
September 10th, 2012, 21:32
you are my new best friend!

I am watching this one forever!

4everRS
September 10th, 2012, 22:42
Please update us regularly! This will great to watch. I'm excited for you.

bmlee007
September 10th, 2012, 23:21
I've been thinking about parting ways with my 6-spd C5, but finally decided that I'll follow this same path when the tranny fails in the RS.

Will you do a writeup of the parts salvaged from the A6? It will be a great help to know what not to sell when I rip mine apart!

Brav
September 10th, 2012, 23:36
Thanks all for the encouragement. I will update each step as I go, and will try to take pics @ Raven during the more serious surgeries.

There is already a list of parts needed posted on the other Manual Swap thread, but I will go through my own as well.

mrdave
September 11th, 2012, 00:59
Yes!! I will be watching this closely as I plan to do a manual swap once I have funds available. Are you going to do any rebuilding or gear swapping for your transmission? Is the adapter plate still readily available? What's the latest on the software situation?

Brav
September 11th, 2012, 01:18
Yes!! I will be watching this closely as I plan to do a manual swap once I have funds available. Are you going to do any rebuilding or gear swapping for your transmission? Is the adapter plate still readily available? What's the latest on the software situation?

Due to budget, I am just throwing the damn thing in. Its already expensive without doing any mods. Waste of future labor, but thats all I can swing while starting a new business. Adapter plate is being made now as is the new multi-friction clutch. Raven suggests EPL custom tune for manual, but is not necessary. Its just optimized for shifting without a TC, etc.

alrightroad
September 11th, 2012, 01:33
Watching... Did Raven suggest a rebuild on the trans? That looks like an early style 01E car... i.e., 1-2 shift collar weakness. Just curious what they said. Also, what are you ending up paying for adapter plate?

Brav
September 11th, 2012, 01:44
Watching... Did Raven suggest a rebuild on the trans? That looks like an early style 01E car... i.e., 1-2 shift collar weakness. Just curious what they said. Also, what are you ending up paying for adapter plate?

Naturally a rebuild would be the prudent thing. But I have driven this car 800 miles with zero engagement issues. As I said, budget forces risk. Price not set, but expected to be around 950 IIRC.

alrightroad
September 11th, 2012, 03:22
Naturally a rebuild would ...

I bet she'll be fine. I call first dibs on your TCU if you want to sell. That will tide me over until I'm ready for 01E magic. Making the 01E swap in my allroad next month along with stage 3 goodies so it wil be <somewhat> of a dry run. RS is different beast for sure but hopefully the allroad swap will be a confidence booster.

Brav
September 11th, 2012, 07:19
I bet she'll be fine. I call first dibs on your TCU if you want to sell. That will tide me over until I'm ready for 01E magic. Making the 01E swap in my allroad next month along with stage 3 goodies so it wil be <somewhat> of a dry run. RS is different beast for sure but hopefully the allroad swap will be a confidence booster.

Sure. I will have a lot of items to sell to offset some of my costs..

</somewhat>

alrightroad
September 11th, 2012, 14:38
Sure. I will have a lot of items to sell to offset some of my costs..

Alrighty. I'll be on standby when you're ready to unload. hopefully price is within reach. email me when ready... ehartley at bluetowne com

Thanks... -eric

SteveKen
September 11th, 2012, 15:35
Raven ... Adapter plate?????

alrightroad
October 11th, 2012, 22:18
Chris, any update on the project? its been a month!

Brav
October 11th, 2012, 23:09
Still waiting for them to finish and test the new clutch. Nothing new to report, except I have been able to drive my RS6 a bit my jumping the high pressure solenoid... :/

kismetcapitan
October 11th, 2012, 23:15
if only the ABS and traction control issues were solved - I would have done this swap already.

Brav
October 11th, 2012, 23:17
if only the ABS and traction control issues were solved - I would have done this swap already.

I am pretty sure that Raven has theirs functioning.. might want to contact them. Just haven't eliminated the dummy lights. For me I don't care about traction control. Just ABS.

October 12th, 2012, 00:15
So you bagged the solenoid bypass? Still loving mine as opposed to dropping the motor.

Brav
October 12th, 2012, 00:44
So you bagged the solenoid bypass? Still loving mine as opposed to dropping the motor.

Yea. It works 70% of the time. seems when cold, it will go to trans limp mode. Then hot, back to normal driving. Maybe my resistor is just a tad too low, and when hot the resistance goes up enough?

October 12th, 2012, 01:02
I don't know... sorry about that. Mine still works well enough to not warrant pulling the trans.

alrightroad
October 12th, 2012, 20:54
Good stuff. I think Raven does have their ABS module still out of the picture. Check when yo have time. I'm pretty sure they are running an EPL tune on it.

Brav
October 12th, 2012, 21:09
Good stuff. I think Raven does have their ABS module still out of the picture. Check when yo have time. I'm pretty sure they are running an EPL tune on it.

They are for sure running the EPL tune. Its great..

Brav
October 16th, 2012, 00:43
I don't know... sorry about that. Mine still works well enough to not warrant pulling the trans.

A random note: So I figured out the irregularity of starting in trans safe mode or not.. it seems if i go from full off to crank, no safe mode. If i do ignition on, let everything come to life, then crank, I get safe mode. At least I have options ?

Kgnast
December 7th, 2012, 15:04
I put together an entire list of items and Shokan tokenized the package for me, 01E w/ about 68k miles. Appx bout $3k in donor goodies.... The 6spd swap was next on the list for my Nemo4.2 after the RS6 body conversion (all of which I have sitting around, now that the target car is no longer alive).

ttboost
December 10th, 2012, 22:57
Any updates on the swap?

Brav
December 11th, 2012, 16:16
Any updates on the swap?

Time, new business, budget and logistics have delayed the start. Car is driving pretty well with 905084's solenoid jumper trick. I expect to begin surgery sometime in January. Raven still has not completed their parts/testing, and I have been speaking with Steve about maybe having him come out to help me do my swap using his kit.

jibberjive
December 12th, 2012, 17:10

Random off-topic, but kismetcapitan, are you from Kismet?

I put together an entire list of items and Shokan tokenized the package for me, 01E w/ about 68k miles. Appx bout $3k in donor goodies.... The 6spd swap was next on the list for my Nemo4.2 after the RS6 body conversion (all of which I have sitting around, now that the target car is no longer alive).
That's actually not too terrible, for all of the horror stories I hear of Shokan fleecing everybody on parts.

Kgnast
December 13th, 2012, 02:21
I actually love the folks at Shokan.... They've saved me a ton of money over the many years... But we all have our own experiences w different vendors, etc. To date, they've done me no wrong.

ttboost
February 27th, 2013, 12:07
How about now?

Brav
March 1st, 2013, 03:10
Next week, should start pulling apart the donor car :) Then I have to wait for one of Kens kits.

tjb616
March 19th, 2013, 23:13
Any progress on this movement?

StormFront
March 20th, 2013, 02:52
sub'd for results!

Brav
March 20th, 2013, 15:44
Just waiting for Ken's full kit. I mentioned it in another thread, but I actually decided to start an Audi service and tuning shop. Yes, I'm crazy :) It just happened to work out while my lease is up at my small location (wholesale auto dealer/exporter) and came upon a acquaintance who happened to be a master Audi tech, and had worked at GMG on some huge projects, and was looking to branch out on his own. The stars aligned and I found a much larger location 1 mile from my house, and this new monster was born. Our main focus will be engine swaps, widebody/avant conversions, etc.

SO with that said, we are slightly delayed with the move, and getting setup in the shop. This is a priority project.. will get pics ASAP. Steve is just waiting to get a flywheel in from his supplier, unless I can source another.

ttboost
April 8th, 2013, 18:44
Any updates???

Brav
April 9th, 2013, 21:41
Any updates???

Waiting patiently for Steve's flywheel order to come through to complete my kit :)

ttboost
April 9th, 2013, 21:50
You have the patience of a saint...