PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes....I could push Crazy off a cliff and not look back....

MaxRS6
September 7th, 2012, 01:42
Other times...they will have to take Crazy after I leave for a better place (hopefully better). Over the past year had the cam pulley bolt shear, the exhaust manifold/turbo issue- on the fifth engine pull it came together, transmission rebuilt- Thank you 517, and some fairly extensive repair and maintenance.

Crazy has been on a winning streak running like a champ for several months. Longest stretch without any issue. The engine purrs like it should, the transmission shifts are crisp, and even in this Arkansan 107 degree heat today- the turbos do pull enough for fun- and oh my- the sound of the snail spools- and the torque pulling monster shoves you into a sh$t eating grin everytime it blows the unsuspecting away. :)

Dang- how many 8 year old cars still get plenty of compliments and second/third looks. I look in my rear view last week- a guy in a brand spanking new Mercendes C63 AMG is taking a picture of Crazy as we sit at a stop light and gives the thumbs up as we move on- LOL

Just pulled back in from a great day on the golf course at the Arkansas Open Pro-Am. I'm the Am in that part of the team. Great golf day- and Crazy took me there and back with a grin.

Well- check in next week when I may be at the cliff giving a firm push---;0

speedtrapped
September 7th, 2012, 02:44
Get a room Randy! Glad she is treating you well.

MaxRS6
September 7th, 2012, 03:02
^- LOL- Her tail pipe ain't big enuff...;0

Still negotiating to put myself into a certain two seater (may or may not happen)- Either way- the looking has been fun. I appreciated your input.

September 7th, 2012, 03:29
Love it!! Have to say, if I didn't have to drive though a foot of snow to get to work, I wouldn't have crazy. But god I love my mistress.

4everRS
September 7th, 2012, 03:31
Great to hear things are going smooth Randy. Especially with the crap you've put up with.

Its really quite a machine. When it works as intended. I haven't seen the CEL for many months. Sometimes I wonder if the actual light is broke. ;)

I use mine as a true family car. Ask Pat, I currently have 2 car seats in the back. Adding a 3rd (somehow) in February. Our oldest (turned 3 in July) will be able to have a smaller booster seat by the spring.

MaxRS6
September 7th, 2012, 03:55
^Thanks Kyle...

It does make a vedy nice family wagon- Looking forward to meeting up some day

MaxRS6
September 7th, 2012, 04:00
Love it!! Have to say, if I didn't have to drive though a foot of snow to get to work, I wouldn't have crazy. But god I love my mistress.

Too much fun I am sure rippin through the white stuff. I don't get that chance vedy often...However; I do draw pretty snow circles (very long ago post) renditions of my snow adventure that some of the 'ol timers on here may remember...;0

September 7th, 2012, 04:14
Too much fun I am sure rippin through the white stuff. I don't get that chance vedy often...However; I do draw pretty snow circles (very long ago post) renditions of my snow adventure that some of the 'ol timers on here may remember...;0

I love it, even though my boost is down....looking at another in my home state of MN to make a matching pair. What is an RS with a bad trans worth anyway?

Bigglezworth
September 7th, 2012, 04:14
163K rolled? MANY more thousands of miles of enjoyment left in crazy. :)

ben916
September 7th, 2012, 05:22

I remember ;)

lswing
September 7th, 2012, 15:42
Great summary, feel that way sometimes too. She had been running great, excellent, then that freeway shutdown last month scared the crap out of me...back on the throttle again, hope she keeps together because it's a damn fun drive!

Tom Sawyer
September 7th, 2012, 23:26
So very true on all points... I'm convinced that for the money there is nothing on the road that can give us what the RS 6 does even with the warts that pop up now and again, and you all know I've dealt with one of the BIG warts! I am truly looking forward to some crisp 40 degree weather. 20 should be quite a wake up for the beast and we get that low once in a while here in Nashville.

4everRS
September 7th, 2012, 23:58
Lately in the mornings it's been in the low 50's here. It really makes a difference. I run water/meth and it helps, but there is really nothing like lower ambient temps.

Funny thing is that out family recently moved out of town a few miles and I was concerned about the commute.

I now love the commute. Smooth road with some nice sweeping curves. My 3 year old in the back seat says, "go fast dad!" :addict:

Spidercat
September 8th, 2012, 01:20
This car keeps me sane (except for the times she makes me absolutely insane).

4everRS, just noticed you have Stop Tech Pads. Last I checked they didn't have any for the RS6. I have a BBK on my wife's car and love the feel of the Street Performance Stop Tech pads that came with them. Do you have a part number or anything?

4everRS
September 8th, 2012, 03:02
This car keeps me sane (except for the times she makes me absolutely insane).

4everRS, just noticed you have Stop Tech Pads. Last I checked they didn't have any for the RS6. I have a BBK on my wife's car and love the feel of the Street Performance Stop Tech pads that came with them. Do you have a part number or anything?
Here ya go.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/A3754E7B-1C44-4F0F-9FD9-3D7C9A62F6B7-3090-000007457D1CF12A.jpg

They dust quite a bit. I just installed new front discs. I ended up getting a set of EBC yellows from EBC directly for a product malfunction. I put them on. Even though I had a bad expeirience, I am giving them another shot.

Edit: the stoptech's are from rockauto.

marklar182
September 8th, 2012, 03:58
I ended up getting a set of EBC yellows from EBC directly for a product malfunction. I put them on. Even though I had a bad expeirience, I am giving them another shot.

Edit: the stoptech's are from rockauto.

Hmm product malfunction, please explain!

4everRS
September 8th, 2012, 04:22
Hmm product malfunction, please explain!
Pads came off the backing plates after about 8k miles. Backing plates got positioned funny in the calipers. Ended up grinding against the disc.

I sent a love letter to EBC. After 2 months of bitching and sending photos to prove my point, they sent me new yellows, and new front rotors.

4.2Crew
September 8th, 2012, 13:24
Pads came off the backing plates after about 8k miles.

Similar experience with the yellow's on the 2001 A6 4.2L after less than a week of use... Front pad delaminated from backing plate as well. I noticed the "mushy" brake pedal on the street we live on and found the pad laying on the ground 100 ft away! Luckily, no harm to the rotor. EBC refunded the entire purchase price and I went back to OEMs.

ThrillHouse
September 8th, 2012, 15:34
Anything special to pay attention to with installing the yellows...? I have a new set I bought last December in prep for new brakes. Brake job had been waiting on the Phaeton duct gp debacle...

4everRS
September 8th, 2012, 16:04
Anything special to pay attention to with installing the yellows...? I have a new set I bought last December in prep for new brakes. Brake job had been waiting on the Phaeton duct gp debacle...
Just make sure everything is clean so the pads can slide nicely. Check on the pads every now and then to make sure they're not falling apart ;)

4everRS
September 8th, 2012, 16:06
Back to the OP topic.

I got a little more enthused about the car again after reading posts, I went out and got the needle to swing just past 160. God this thing is nuts.

kismetcapitan
September 9th, 2012, 21:18
I guess I've been fortunate...other than blowing the alternator, not much has gone wrong, and most of the money I've sunk into the Silver Bullet has been in mods. I still need to do the injector O-rings...I'm now certain that that is the cause of the occasional smell of raw fuel when the car is cold - it's only coming from one injector, but in a turbocharged car, you want every bit of fuel metered out to reach the cylinder. Running lean kills motors!

But beyond that, this has been one of my most reliable cars I've owned. Really. I've done 15,000 miles in my first year owning her and she's about to hit the 100K mark.

4everRS
September 9th, 2012, 22:16
Kismet, better idea. If you have 3 days to not have the beast, sent them to mr injector. They will completely refurbish them.

MaxRS6
September 10th, 2012, 03:35
Back to the OP topic.

....got the needle to swing just past 160. God this thing is nuts.

Wowza- God this driver is nuts---LOL

ben916
September 10th, 2012, 03:46
I guess I've been fortunate...other than blowing the alternator, not much has gone wrong, and most of the money I've sunk into the Silver Bullet has been in mods. I still need to do the injector O-rings...I'm now certain that that is the cause of the occasional smell of raw fuel when the car is cold - it's only coming from one injector, but in a turbocharged car, you want every bit of fuel metered out to reach the cylinder. Running lean kills motors!

But beyond that, this has been one of my most reliable cars I've owned. Really. I've done 15,000 miles in my first year owning her and she's about to hit the 100K mark.

Called it!

4everRS
September 10th, 2012, 03:59
Wowza- God this driver is nuts---LOL
Haha. You should talk! (well, type I guess) ;)

kismetcapitan
September 10th, 2012, 07:58
Kismet, better idea. If you have 3 days to not have the beast, sent them to mr injector. They will completely refurbish them.

good advice. these days the car gets driven maybe once a week. Unless it's REALLY raining hard, I'm on my bikes.

kismetcapitan
September 10th, 2012, 07:59
Called it!

you did, solving a mystery that has been plaguing my car in cold weather, particularly since it would NEVER do it in front of a mechanic. much gratitude for that!!

ben916
September 10th, 2012, 16:06
you did, solving a mystery that has been plaguing my car in cold weather, particularly since it would NEVER do it in front of a mechanic. much gratitude for that!!

No worries, we are all here to help and poke fun at other owners...