PDA

View Full Version : Just can't do it.

piston
October 28th, 2003, 03:47
Folks,

After reading for weeks on the Audi Forum Boards the horrible problems that continue to come out of the factory for the S4's and my own personal experiences with my local dealership on service of an exisiting '01 A4, I regret that I cannot subject myself to a poor experience with a new S4. I came very close to ordering.

I just can't go wrong with an M3. Really would have liked to have had 4 doors - even though the backseats are useless.

Piston

Erik
October 28th, 2003, 10:36
Good luck with your M3. SMG or not?

Klint
October 28th, 2003, 11:34
err...A M3 owner can't go wrong with the M3 but the M3 can go wrong with the owner...The S52 engines have been known to grenade themselves.

:cheers:

piston
October 28th, 2003, 14:36
Going with an SMG M3.

I read the Audi Boards for well over a month and it looks as if well over 50% of the S4's delivered have serious engine and clutch problems. Audi has not prepared for this and the dealers have no idea what to do.

I do like the S4 alot -like the RS6 even better, but reading all this has made me nervous. I recently bought a Mercedes for my wife and the workmanship and quality on those have really taken a turn for the worse. Service has also taken a terrible turn for the worse as MBZ has introduced so many new models and the Service Departments cannot keep up with the volume.

I currently drive an E46 BMW Convertible and had 2 BMW's before this. I find the reliablity and quality to still be there with the BMW's although the are a bit pricey now.

Bauer
October 31st, 2003, 02:36
Piston,

Sorry to hear of your decission....but I can understand. Just so you know MOST new models need some wringing out. I have not heard of engine problems but clutch...I have. The clutch issue I would imangine is an easy fix with Audi...just order tuffer parts. Cant speak about the engine since I did not know they had problems. As for dealships....they can make or break a deal and I am sorry to hear yours is no good. If you still had any thought of buying an S4 I would go out and find another dealer. I would call independant repair shops and find out who they like....they are normally right on.

If you go with an M3....good luck and I hope you enjoy it and who knows maybe in a year or two......you might be back looking at the S4.:cheers:

avdh
October 31st, 2003, 07:27
One must take what he or she reads on an internet forum which a pinch of salt.

First of all, only a small percentage of a particular car and model's owners do actively participate to internet forums, thus they may not be fully representative.

Also, people with grievances are most likely to post, hence the problem may seem much bigger than it actually is.

I have heard on one or two engines blowned, but then it could have been due to downshifting in a low gear which would have over-revved the engine.

As for clutch problems..... I am actually not surprised. When you abuse the car from stanstill acceleration, something 's got to give.
On a two wheel drive car, it normally is the rear tyres (or the front if FWD). With a Quattro there is too much grip for the tyres to spin like a 2wd would and thus the clutch takes the load and after a few abuses, gives up.....

smerayo
October 31st, 2003, 09:48
Originally posted by piston
Going with an SMG M3.

I read the Audi Boards for well over a month and it looks as if well over 50% of the S4's delivered have serious engine and clutch problems. Audi has not prepared for this and the dealers have no idea what to do.

I do like the S4 alot -like the RS6 even better, but reading all this has made me nervous. I recently bought a Mercedes for my wife and the workmanship and quality on those have really taken a turn for the worse. Service has also taken a terrible turn for the worse as MBZ has introduced so many new models and the Service Departments cannot keep up with the volume.

I currently drive an E46 BMW Convertible and had 2 BMW's before this. I find the reliablity and quality to still be there with the BMW's although the are a bit pricey now.

If you expect to have good luck with an E46 M3 engine, you d better think it over again. I have had an M3 and also had two different engines changed in ONLY 1 year.

Tell you the truth, i prefer having a cluctch replaced (S4) than having to replace a new engine every now and then (M3)

That s up to you, man. Whatever you choose, GOOD LUCK!!