PDA

View Full Version : "test pipes" do they make them?

makaveli42
September 5th, 2012, 01:01
Just curious if there is any "test pipes" out there for our RS6s for the rear cats and resonators? Lol...I've actually never seen the bottom of our cars in person and the pics I've seen haven't shown the entire exhaust system. So idk if its easy to just cut them and weld in a pipe or what.

4everRS
September 5th, 2012, 03:44
No test pipes. Just full down pipes.

It would be easy enough to cut and weld. Just take off clamps behind DP's, and there would be enough movement in the flex joint to do the job.

4.2Crew
September 5th, 2012, 11:50
....and there would be enough movement in the flex joint to do the job.

Sort'of hijacking this thread...

Kyle, just how much flex is in the flex joint?.... I'm asking because I need to replace the prop shaft seal---it looks like a very tight working area. I would be more confident tackeling this sooner rather than later if the flex joint really has some significant flex.

mdegracia
September 5th, 2012, 11:57
^ Just pull eberything from the cat back to change that seal. Plenty of room after that.

4everRS
September 5th, 2012, 12:33

Kyle, just how much flex is in the flex joint?.... I'm asking because I need to replace the prop shaft seal---it looks like a very tight working area. I would be more confident tackeling this sooner rather than later if the flex joint really has some significant flex.
As said above, once the exhaust behind the DP's are taken down, it's not bad to get at the shaft.

I have a proposition for you Greg. I just found out yesterday that my seal is going out too. Would you like to make a party of it? I could bring the beers!

4.2Crew
September 5th, 2012, 13:04
I have a proposition for you Greg. I just found out yesterday that my seal is going out too. Would you like to make a party of it? I could bring the beers!

Absolutely!... I think the task of removing/installing the rear portion of the exhaust is much easier with an extra set of hands and eyes. I'm relatively free most Fri-Sunday's (4-day work week). What's your schedule/timing look like? My seal is barely weeping.... Just wet around the seal area--no drips on the floor-yet!

4everRS
September 5th, 2012, 13:42
Absolutely!... I think the task of removing/installing the rear portion of the exhaust is much easier with an extra set of hands and eyes. I'm relatively free most Fri-Sunday's (4-day work week). What's your schedule/timing look like? My seal is barely weeping.... Just wet around the seal area--no drips on the floor-yet!
I have drips. :doh:

Let me figure out what would work. This weekend and next are bad. Maybe the 22nd? I have to go to NYC the 20th and come back the 21st. I could maybe stay at a hotel in the area and come over that next morning.

4.2Crew
September 5th, 2012, 14:03
.....could maybe stay at a hotel in the area and come over that next morning.

We do have a guest bedroom and bathroom downstairs (within stumbling distance to the wet-bar) that could be all your's!

4everRS
September 5th, 2012, 15:49
We do have a guest bedroom and bathroom downstairs (within stumbling distance to the wet-bar) that could be all your's!
I'd be pretty dumb to turn that down. And I don't think of myself as pretty dumb.

makaveli42
September 6th, 2012, 02:20

lol...you are my first Thread Jacker.....ill always remember my first...