PDA

View Full Version : FYI. Total cost of repairs for 9 years..

Hy Octane
August 16th, 2012, 19:21
is now $127,000 dollars.. paid for by Audi under warranty, Two different extended warranty companies and the rest by myself..

What a great car..

ben916
August 16th, 2012, 20:10
WOW!!!!

How many miles?
What was the most replaced items during those 9 years?

Hy Octane
August 16th, 2012, 20:25
86,600 miles..
Multiple DRC's( I recall the total was something like 27 different faulty DRC struts before the recall) Two trannies, one rear diff, gas tank, alternator, several engine drops for various parts, intercoolers, oil cooler, several thermostats and sensors, at least 4 water pumps, AC compressor, ECU, TCU, various Engine seals, gaskets, steering rack, power steering pumps, 3rd serpentine belt service just done yesterday, the list goes on and on.. about everything that could fail has some twice or more times..
Two years left on ext warranty. I will be selling it next year with one year left..

mi021le
August 16th, 2012, 20:56
Ya, a defiantly know a few of those. I trans, two stalls, two alternators.... Blah blah. But that's crazy.

Chung
August 16th, 2012, 21:06
I almost didn't click on this for fear. That is insane.

Benman
August 16th, 2012, 22:50
I'm pretty sure Paul has found himself on the dealer's "blacklist". ;) :)

mik15
August 16th, 2012, 22:56
so if the car was $80k Audi has earned another at least $40k out of these repairs, i am sure all the bills have been inflated since the warranty companies have paid, if it was for you to pay i am sure the bills would've been different....either way still is a lot of money but you kind of had one from a bad batch or you've been hammering it really hard :), didn't hear about rear diff failure, what was the problem with it? ECU, TCU, Steering pump also rare failures as i know....mine has 80k miles now, 2nd DRC, still on the first tranny which will have to have the TC replaced in the near future however, i have the bills from the previous owner from Audi and it's maybe a quarter of yours... however lucky for you that you have the option of extended warranties in US, doesn't work that way here :(

johnnie27
August 17th, 2012, 00:06
wow i have spent a measly

$8657.oo in 4 years (or servicing/ and tranny fluids (1 belt change) 2 Cv boots...air filters....sway bar link,

$550 on dyno work
$250 on new apr map

lucky i am

Hy Octane
August 17th, 2012, 00:24
Yes. I bought me a brand new shiny lemon but thought "well, its only a car and it can be fixed..." I had no idea it would never run out of bad parts.. The longest she has ever gone with no probs was about 6 months..
I drove it aggressively at the beginning but the last few years I have driven it like a grandma after realizing that the harder I drove her, the more she broke!
I love this machine when it works and thats why I kept it so long.. I just thought 'this time it will be fixed for good like everyone elses.."
Its just incredible how a car can go thru so many faulty parts and have the replacement parts be faulty as well..like the sunroof switch.. on #3 now..

Benman
August 17th, 2012, 00:37
I drove it aggressively at the beginning but the last few years I have driven it like a grandma after realizing that the harder I drove her, the more she broke!
This is key, with ANYTHING, including women. :)

Bigglezworth
August 17th, 2012, 04:01
HOLY CRAP!! puke:

That's frickin insane. Well, I am not even 10% of that for two cars with a total ownership of 5.5 years for the two. The high mileage unit I have here has a 1" thick file from the original owner though with 40K worth of work. Ironically, it NEVER had a DRC failure until I performed the recall on it. Yes you read correctly. 220000K on the original DRC with no failure.....

One of the benefits of being your own mechanic I guess in that it is a fraction of the $$ to own given you don't bill for your own time.

127K.... I'm still in bewilderment. WOW.

Hy Octane
August 17th, 2012, 04:45
Yep.. My SA told me today when I went in to pick her up.. he was curious as to how much we were into it for so he went thru every repair ticket since I bought her and thats what the total was.. .. I was shocked too..
I wonder what Audi would say if they knew this.. maybe now they do!

4everRS
August 17th, 2012, 05:17
This thread is a good lesson on how a dealer, knowing their getting paid through insurance, gouges the shit out of said insurance company.

Prices of the same services at an Indy shop would likely be half. If that.

mik15
August 17th, 2012, 10:55
well it looks like you and Bigglezworth are the extreme cases :), and then there's the rest of us somewhere in the middle :)....but it's just like you said, you either love this car and you keep on fixing it or you get rid of it, considering that you bought it new you definitely must be crazy about it if you kept it all this time even though it has been far away from reliable....

lswing
August 17th, 2012, 15:47
I was also thinking if this was indie costs would be about half. The drc should have been removed, but you would hope they could fix it as you mentioned. Replacement parts from Audi seem to be an issue, my steering rack was DOA, once we put it in the car:(, doubled repair time and cost. Glad to hear you're getting a 2013 RS6!!!, right???:)

August 17th, 2012, 20:32
All the wife said was......"damn"........I'm glad she likes the mistress, but she wouldn't if I spent that much on her.

I'm glad you kept track.

Qisha
August 17th, 2012, 21:56
Dear Hy Octane,

if you are willing to invest some more time into this, i would appreciate a detailed list for internal use. (by PM)

By the way thank you for holding on to your Audi RS 6 for such a long and often annoying time! :cheers:

Qisha

PS: selling your car late next year could very well be just in time for a 1:1 successor. :hihi:

ben916
August 17th, 2012, 21:58
Dear Hy Octane,

if you are willing to invest some more time into this, i would appreciate a detailed list for internal use. (by PM)

By the way thank you for holding on to your Audi RS 6 for such a long and often annoying time! :cheers:

Qisha

PS: selling your car late next year could very well be just in time for a 1:1 successor. :hihi:

OH!!! is there a loyalty program?!? that would be excellent for AoA to retain loyal RS owners that have been put thru the test of time with the issues/failures.

Spidercat
August 18th, 2012, 01:33

So, are the rumors about the C7 RS6 coming to the US a definite maybe, or a definite definite?
Avant and/or Sedan?
Also, when? (best guess, since I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row...)

eanders
August 18th, 2012, 02:33
OH!!! is there a loyalty program?!? that would be excellent for AoA to retain loyal RS owners that have been put thru the test of time with the issues/failures.

I'm feeling much better about the $5,800 I just plopped down on a warranty for this car.

So, with Google search I'm feeling that our resale values just dropped even lower as a result of this thread. : )

Brav
August 18th, 2012, 05:59

THIS. 40% off and European Delivery. Tenk u.

bmwade
August 18th, 2012, 16:01
Sell them to current owners @ cost w/euro delivery would be nice! Also I've owned mine for 1 month and by the time I install all the new things I'll be around $5k

mmaturo
August 20th, 2012, 06:18
well it looks like you and Bigglezworth are the extreme cases :), and then there's the rest of us somewhere in the middle :)....but it's just like you said, you either love this car and you keep on fixing it or you get rid of it, considering that you bought it new you definitely must be crazy about it if you kept it all this time even though it has been far away from reliable....

Add me the the lemonade group. Loved it but I traded mine in right after CPO expired after 6 years of owning it and could not get another extended warranty on it, but had the exact same experience but add 2 more transmissions and dozens of other things. I had 8 yes 8 control/head units for my AC in the car for example. I should have asked on mine as probably very similar total. I had enough loyalty points built up to cover the entire timing belt service. Same comment for me of it never went 6 months without something. Almost 2 years with my S5 Cabriolet w Stasis tuning and no issues at all. Just traded her in yesterday early to break even and make room for my RS5 coming in a month. Looking forward to hopefully many RS miles without problems on my second RS car. Send the next RS6 to the US, I will want one too.