PDA

View Full Version : going for broke

bmwade
August 15th, 2012, 18:47
I noticed I've got that "weird wear" problem on my rotors, and combined with a noticeable lip I going to replace them.
so here's my question, I've seen people are running frozen rotors, are these substantially better? I noticed they are $419 for the fronts and $415 for the backs. is it better to buy from someone else and have them sent to frozen rotors? are there other good options for rotors?

also it looks like the Hawk HPS pads are the best way to go for general driving so I'm planning on those.

while I've got it torn down i want to replace the DRC before i have problems, and i'm thinking about koni struts with stock springs. thoughts?

4.2Crew
August 15th, 2012, 18:58
While I've got it torn down i want to replace the DRC before i have problems, and i'm thinking about koni struts with stock springs. thoughts?

Next to the $125 for a MTM TCU upgrade, gutting the DRC and investing $700 in Koni Yellow Sport struts is one of the best "bang-for-buck" changes one can make to this car... IMHO:brag:

ben916
August 15th, 2012, 19:55
Not sure if anyone else has had their rotors frozen, but I did.

I purchased new OEM rotors from Genuine, and stupidly had them sent to my house! I should have had them dropshipped to Frozen Rotors in WI or MN, as it would have saved on shipping back/forth.
The process is "rotors in hand" at FrozenRotors, load into freezer on Friday, cycle temps up/down as low as -60F for three days, ship out to your location via ground.
Transit time is the killer as it takes just about two weeks as transportation is by ground = slow.

I was really nervous about sending out $700+ in RS6 rotors so I insured it for $1k.

Now the bedding process was not fun.
I installed EBC Reds and initially after scoring off the wear coat, the bite was fine.
Then came the bite into the rotors and they howled like a pig for 600+ miles = it was really loud!
Solution was to make strong moderate decelerations from 100 - 50 at least 4-5 times.

I am happy with the rotors
I am not happy with the EBC Red, as they have been proven to melt/destroy themselves with anything other than pussyfoot driving...

Not sure you will need to mess with the rear rotors being frozen...

4everRS
August 15th, 2012, 21:16
Just sent mine to frozen today. I had intended to do it a few weeks ago and things got busy. Anywho, I didn't want to do it til I got the phaeton ducts anyway, so I would have waited anyway.

I think they do it for 58 bucks a rotor.

ttboost
August 15th, 2012, 22:56
Don't want to turn this into a coilover thread, but I am in the same boat. Probably going to get another set of wheels and tires (FINALLY!!!) this Friday and I want to do the DRC delete also, while I am here. I have been also looking at the Koni (thanks 4.2crew), but I also spotted a couple of cheaper alternatives. Not to be penny wise, just sayin...
H&R makes a set($1300), and the ST coilover (Made by KW in the same factory?) They are only about $1000? Anyone try these? Obviously you can't find anything for the RS6, so I looked under A6, 4.2. I think it was determined that they are the same chassis?

lswing
August 16th, 2012, 16:19
I've been looking at the JHM rotors for better cooling, might have them shipped to frozen, still would like to hear more.

Hawk hps pads are good, and the Koni Yellows are great for $700, thanks 4.2crew! Stock springs, Koni's on low, car sits nice and even...

bmwade
August 16th, 2012, 18:43
Noticed a new issue today, outsides and middles on my tires are good, but the insides are shot! Like down to the fibers. The previous owner was running falken fk452 tires and they are crap! The one came apart on me today which led me to discover how bad they were...it looks like a lot of people are running the Michelin PSS, so unless anyone has a better suggestion I believe that is where I'm headed.

Elevens
August 16th, 2012, 19:37
Noticed a new issue today, outsides and middles on my tires are good, but the insides are shot! Like down to the fibers. The previous owner was running falken fk452 tires and they are crap! The one came apart on me today which led me to discover how bad they were...it looks like a lot of people are running the Michelin PSS, so unless anyone has a better suggestion I believe that is where I'm headed.

Remember inner tire wear is a result of incorrect Camber and not bad tires. So before you spend big money on Michelin's I would look into a proper wheel alignment first. If the Car is lowered sometimes the factory spec camber is unattainable unless you have adjustable upper links. Just food for thought....

bmwade
August 16th, 2012, 19:42
Yeah well I'll be getting it aligned when I switch to the koni's, which will be soon as I ordered them yesterday.

ben916
August 16th, 2012, 20:08

Wade had the 452's in 19" and had them fail at low speed (which is rare for him to be driving so slow).

PSS!!! They are my next summer tires, Blizzaks are the next purchase ;)

JSRS6
August 17th, 2012, 11:46

If either the inside OR outside is worn and the middle of the tire is fine, thats a camber problem.

If both the inside and outside are worn and the middle is fine, the tires were run under inflated.

If both the inside and outside of the tires are fine and the middle is worn(sounds like what you were getting at), then the tires were run over inflated.

Still i would recommend PSS's highly.

bmwade
August 20th, 2012, 18:34
while the car was on the lift getting new rubbers i noticed my CV axles are no bueno. fortunately i can save some on labor since next week I'm already scheduled to replace brakes and DRC. hits just keep coming! glad i got my S4 sold so i have an extra bit of cash to spend! lol

bmwade
August 30th, 2012, 22:50
Koni's and brakes have arrived! Once I get the raxles in a couple of days then everything will get installed! Now thinking about getting some OEM 19" rims (http://www.ebay.com/itm/280879615350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) thoughts?

mrdave
August 30th, 2012, 23:12
Koni's and brakes have arrived! Once I get the raxles in a couple of days then everything will get installed! Now thinking about getting some OEM 19" rims (http://www.ebay.com/itm/280879615350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) thoughts?

I was looking at those same wheels. Would love to see what they look like on your car!

bmwade
August 30th, 2012, 23:41
I was looking at those same wheels. Would love to see what they look like on your car!

Haha making me the guinea pig eh? I see how it is! Well I'm probably at least month from ordering them. But I think they will look awesome! My only decision is if I want the black or if I want the silver to kinda match mirrors and trim...

twinsteve
August 31st, 2012, 00:35

Wrong hubcentric...so need adapter I believe

Elevens
August 31st, 2012, 00:35

$639 for a set of 4 Wheels. I would really question the quality of same. Especially to be placed on a $80,000+ 450hp+ Automobile. Lets get serious now...........................

bmwade
August 31st, 2012, 02:34
$639 for a set of 4 Wheels. I would really question the quality of same. Especially to be placed on a $80,000+ 450hp+ Automobile. Lets get serious now...........................

Thats just the OEM style I want, and it was the first listing I found...when I get ready to buy ill make sure that I get actual OEM rims...

ben916
August 31st, 2012, 03:43
Thats just the OEM style I want, and it was the first listing I found...when I get ready to buy ill make sure that I get actual OEM rims...

The RS5 or late model RS4 rims are 'spenive!

bmwade
August 31st, 2012, 03:52
The RS5 or late model RS4 rims are 'spenive!

Yes, i know. I'm hoping to find someone who bought an RS5 and is replacing their rims...my guess is 1/4 of them will get replaced immediately(>5k miles) meaning there will be some gently used ones available!

bmwade
September 12th, 2012, 18:59
koni's, frozen rotors, & raxles going on now. (pics below) will update with ride quality and such when i get her back! should have RNS-E soon, next i just need to get an ACE TC and she'll be perfect!

mik15
September 12th, 2012, 20:08
the car has only 33k miles and you're changing the axles already? i am still on the original ones at 81k miles!

bmwade
September 12th, 2012, 20:41
the car has only 33k miles and you're changing the axles already? i am still on the original ones at 81k miles!

Boots were busted, had thrown out an inch of grease on the insides of the rims, and were making noises....they may have been another option but I didn't want to fool with it, so I just replaced them!

lswing
September 12th, 2012, 20:47
Just a thought on the TC. I replaced mine with ACE since the stock was blown, has worked great. Is yours bad, or just being preventative? Had I known more i might have tried to source an old trans and had it beefed up at the same time, since the labor is all together. Just a thought...

Note; Koni's at low height all around is almost perfectly level. I went with softest setting, still sporting, but now want just a touch more rebound, works great though!

bmwade
September 12th, 2012, 22:01
Just a thought on the TC. I replaced mine with ACE since the stock was blown, has worked great. Is yours bad, or just being preventative? Had I known more i might have tried to source an old trans and had it beefed up at the same time, since the labor is all together. Just a thought...Note; Koni's at low height all around is almost perfectly level. I went with softest setting, still sporting, but now want just a touch more rebound, works great though!Mine is going to be full soft and low! The TC isn't giving me any real problems but it does sporadically give me a CEL. I've cleared it 4 times and it usually goes away for about a week then returns, but I want to replace it before I have real issues. I hadn't considered beefing up the trans, but that's a very good idea cause I would love to explore possibly obtaining some additional POWERRR :incar: in the future(or at least have that as an option when we don't get the C7 Avant), what does that entail aside from buying another one?

lswing
September 12th, 2012, 22:22
I'm running soft and low on the Koni's, but again am getting a bit of bounce now that they broke in...might think just one click firmer.

Ok, so here's the big problem with your TC, it's a constant problem at this point. It may be frothing up the fluid, causing a bad situation for the trans. Don't drive hard or much unless you want to finish off your trans, so I was told by some previous experts on here. Just being cautious...and it's upgraded clutch packs and maybe something else for the trans, don't know all the details. Cheers!

bmwade
October 6th, 2012, 04:39
paid $33,000 for beast
put $5844.16 into needed repairs
still have TC in near future!
but i have No Regrets cause she is gorgeous!

October 6th, 2012, 11:06
paid $33,000 for beast
put $5844.16 into needed repairs
still have TC in near future!
but i have No Regrets cause she is gorgeous!

She is gorgeous! I did have to reread the title of this thread to make sure it was "going for broke" and not just "going broke".

Primo
October 6th, 2012, 11:19
Great pics, bmwade! Loved it! :)