PDA

View Full Version : About to get the JHM rotors, steel lines...

lswing
August 8th, 2012, 23:18
Getting to be time for the front rotors, from what I've heard from a few people these have been solid. Tempted to do the back also so they match, probably will. The black inner piece and bolts should give it a nice look. Adding in steel lines and better fluid...:revs:

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/front-rotorspair-jhm-piece-lightweight-for-c5-rs6-p-485.html?cPath=21_66_68_227_253&osCsid=gosfr7tbr0kn2uah06dhbnilg1

ben916
August 8th, 2012, 23:53
um, you should pm BRAV to make sure that his vibration issue was 100% not the JHM rotors...

lswing
August 8th, 2012, 23:56
I'll check, thanks...I bet he just put them on wrong, just kidding Brav!

I think these were recommended by justin12 on a track thread a while back...

Dynmicracr
August 9th, 2012, 00:46
Are you aware of any reason JHM decided to not drill these replacement rotors?

johnnie27
August 9th, 2012, 01:57
Getting to be time for the front rotors, from what I've heard from a few people these have been solid. Tempted to do the back also so they match, probably will. The black inner piece and bolts should give it a nice look. Adding in steel lines and better fluid...:revs:

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/front-rotorspair-jhm-piece-lightweight-for-c5-rs6-p-485.html?cPath=21_66_68_227_253&osCsid=gosfr7tbr0kn2uah06dhbnilg1

i was going to get them once, did some digging , a tunning shop that makes Rs4 rotors here thru Harrop tried a set (JHM) on their RS4 they cracked after 1/2 a day..i went OEM from ECS

lswing
August 29th, 2012, 12:59
Hmmm, leaning towards OEM for the strength, any more input?

cgyrs6
August 29th, 2012, 14:39
Last week I installed a full set (front and rear) with Hawk HPS pads.

They are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the factory anchors. I'm not sure if they've been broken in properly as I do get a bit of vibration while braking from about 120 MPH down through 90 MPH. There is no vibration at constant speed, only under braking through those speeds. Above 120 MPH and below 90 MPH, no issue.

About a day after I had them installed, I had an incident at high speed where I had to really lay on the brakes. Is this the cause of the vibration? I don't know.

The pedal feel seems heavier than with the stock pads and rotors. Should this get better? Again, I don't know.

August 29th, 2012, 15:10
On breaking in your brakes.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

lswing
August 29th, 2012, 22:11
I would agree that they're not as grabby, until getting warmed up, then perform better than stock with much less dust.

Brav
August 30th, 2012, 06:31
its its easier to overtemp these rotors on breakin. do NOT use EBC reds. JHM i think is fine for the street. track wise, remains to be seen. not sure the metal quality is the same. pad choice and trial/error would be critical. fact is they have much better vanes and airfloe but the thickness of each side of the disks are a lot thinner, and can absorb and dissapate less heat. as for drilled.. thats purely cosmetic these days and really offers no benefit. if anything its a negative, and a place for hairline cracks to form. check your stock ones to verify. slotted is the way to go.

lswing
August 30th, 2012, 06:45
Thanks Brav, I really don't see the need to get the JHM, just going stock and adding braided lines and better fluid. Last thing I need is to worry about a rotor not being strong enough...

Brav
August 30th, 2012, 23:19
FWIW, I switched out the EBC reds, had rotors turned, and vibration under braking is completely gone.

lswing
August 31st, 2012, 15:29
Nice! So you turned the JHM's and put what pad on? The JHM's are a bit thin compared to stock eh, thoughts on wear time, hope they didn't have to shave too much off.

Brav
August 31st, 2012, 17:33
I used cheapy ones to just test my theory that the EBC Reds were the problem. They actually work fine for the street - I forget the brand.. The pads will fade under repeated braking, but it concluded my theory about the pads. I will let them wear out and then go with Hawk HPS or Stoptech next.

cgyrs6
September 2nd, 2012, 14:26
On breaking in your brakes.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Thanks for the link. The brakes were originally broken in using the procedures as described on the Hawk instructions.

I've since followed the instructions as described from the link and they feel much better.