PDA

View Full Version : New rs6 owner here with maintenance question

sbcrc86
August 8th, 2012, 22:19
I just picked up an C5 RS6 for $17500. Price is low because its at 98K and has not had belt service done and some other wear and tear items. I would like input on what tool kit I should buy to do the timing belt. Who makes it? Where can be bought? Also I have a creaking coming from steering rack just behind firewall. I have replaced all control arms due to torn bushings, I was hoping that was cause of noise but it is not. Steering rack is tight, no leaks, and no play in tie rods. Any Ideas?????
THANKS

LIRS6
August 8th, 2012, 22:34
Welcome and good luck. Mine (117k) has developed a lot of creaking noises as well - haven't been able to determine the source. I think it's just feeling its age. There are steering rack bolts just ahead of the firewall - you've checked/tightened them?

kday
August 8th, 2012, 23:08
First thing to buy is the Bentley repair manual. The timing belt procedure in it references all of the Audi tools you need, which can then be found various places online. (Shop around -- I found the best deal for most of the tools at world impex, but some were cheaper elsewhere.)

sbcrc86
August 8th, 2012, 23:32
Yes ive checked those, they are definitely tight. earlier today i tightened the outer tie rod end and that seems to have helped but still creeks noticeably.

sbcrc86
August 8th, 2012, 23:33
Okay, thanks for the input.

sbcrc86
August 9th, 2012, 02:42
Where in Boston are you

kday
August 9th, 2012, 14:33
I am in Arlington actually, but close enough.
Don't think I've yet seen another RS6 in the wild around here, though I know there are a handful at least.

sbcrc86
August 10th, 2012, 16:27
Yah, I've seen more ferraris and lambos than RS6. Just noticing a new issue with the beast. Yesterday when driving at low speed the transmission is acting like its low on fluid. Sometimes trans is slipping and engine will rev then suddenly engage, but sometimes its ok. Is this a fluid issue or torque converter. What are the symptoms of a bad torque converter?

lswing
August 10th, 2012, 16:50
When my trans fluid was low it was only slipping under heavy throttle, would slip from 3rd to 4th. No other symptoms. You may be REALLY low. But I get the impression this just started?

TC going bad for me started with a code, I couldn't feel a thing, but I was new to the car. To test the TC; drive in Tip, get going 50mph in 5th, give it some gas. If your revs jump about 4-500 before the speedo moves then it's bad...

98k is a ton of miles on a stock TC also...

sbcrc86
August 10th, 2012, 22:04
Yes it did just start. It seems to slip worse the more throttle i give it at low speed. The symptoms point to low fluid in my opinion but I have never experienced torque converter failure and I cant find any trans fluid leaking. I scheduled with a local euro performance shop to have the trans serviced next tuesday so I guess time will tell. On the highway it seems ok but I did pull a P0174 code which is torque converter circuit fault when I first got vehicle but i cleared light and have driver more than 350 miles without it re-apperaing.

sbcrc86
August 15th, 2012, 23:42
So car is at shop for transmission problem. Tech says fluid is in horrible condition, he thinks it may need a trany based on symptoms. Hes going to flush it tomorrow and see if it helps but if not it is just a waste of money. When a transmission needs rebuild what are the symptoms? Automatic transmissions I have seen crap the bed either dont work at all or only work when fluid is cold and still slip badly.
My symptoms are:
It drives fine for the first 30min of city driving. Even if driven on the hard side its fine. But after a while when it tries to shift into second gear or third gear the transmission acts as if in neutral allows engine to rev freely, and then suddenly hookup. In tip mode it acts up less but after a while it does the same........ ANY IDEAS