PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Revo Tune issue.

cjargo
July 31st, 2012, 01:38
I have a Revo SPS programmed with "Stock" mode and 3 different performance settings (91oct - 50/50oct - 100oct) with "Aces IV".

Now in any of the performance settings, there is a massive flat spot till 3200 RPM's then the power hits like a sledge hammer, and if I really have my foot really into it, it backfires, which sounds like its on the intake side. Then when its switched to "Stock" mode the car runs dyno purrrrfect. So my mechanic pulled codes and ended up replacing both temp sensors for the turbos along with both motor mounts.
After picking up the car it ran the same, perfect in "Stock" and massive flat spot in any of the performance modes. UGH! I left a message for Revo tech support and so far radio silence. Any guidance or thoughts would be appreciated. Thx!

ben916
July 31st, 2012, 01:53
Sounds like an over-torque issue between the TCU and ECU.

Do you have the MTM TCU chip?

lswing
July 31st, 2012, 03:37
Revo has been good to me. Sounds like something mechanical isn't coping with the extra boost. Have you tried just 3-3-3 for starters? Anything above that is a lot of boost. Sps doesn't affect fueling, you can get other software that does once you get things sorted. Can you log data?

Also had minimal effect from the Aces, helps. That's odd it happens at the 91 setting. My car was a torque demon at 6-6, but pulled lots of timing, no bueno...

cjargo
July 31st, 2012, 10:04
Nada on the MTM TCU chip. With the back firing, I'd think it's something with the Revo tune

QuattroRS
July 31st, 2012, 15:34
lswing-I beg to differ. I think you have had tons of problems with Revo. Just look at your threads and high EGT, poor fueling issues.

cj-dont waste your time replacing parts. The problem is in the Revo.

Buy a Vagcom and data log. You may be able to patch up the Revo with the Lemmi software addition but it will take work.

Or just change the tune. Viper, Eurocharge, OCT and APR all have great RS6 flashes. Buy one and add the MTM TCU chip.

marklar182
July 31st, 2012, 15:52
Could just be a bad Revo flash. Have the dealer reflash the car. The EEPROM data can sometimes can get corrupted.

I do agree there are better options out there......If it is not resolved get you money back and look elsewhere.

lswing
July 31st, 2012, 16:00
lswing-I beg to differ. I think you have had tons of problems with Revo. Just look at your threads and high EGT, poor fueling issues.

cj-dont waste your time replacing parts. The problem is in the Revo.

Buy a Vagcom and data log. You may be able to patch up the Revo with the Lemmi software addition but it will take work.

Or just change the tune. Viper, Eurocharge, OCT and APR all have great RS6 flashes. Buy one and add the MTM TCU chip.

I had problems because it was overtuned, but it always ran like a bat out of hell, just pulled timing, causing little bumps, certainly when hot out. The issues cj is having are much more severe than anything I ever had, just saying. All I had to do was reduce the tune, find that sweet spot with boost and timing (thanks to your help Quattro), and add that bit of fuel with some free software. Granted a bit of extra work, but I really enjoy knowing all the details.

Revo will add WAY to much boost if you let it, but still find it odd you've got issues on the lowest setting. Again, maybe a bad flash as others have mentioned. I've heard they did an update years ago, try and check your version. They were always good support, and I got my tune already on the car. Sounds like some air or fueling issue, backfire is just crazy too have!

Ross-Tech cable is a must for many other reasons, best $250 spent on the car....because most everything else costs more than $250:)

Edit; There are two users fighting with Eurocharge issues right now, most likely overboost also...things will happen with tuning, certainly at home...

marklar182
July 31st, 2012, 18:24
Lets not turn it into a tuner pissing match! There are many Revo, and Eurocharge users out there that have ZERO issues.

If stock maps run fine, and the tuned map does not, it is a tune/flash issue. Period.

lswing
July 31st, 2012, 18:34
Lets not turn it into a tuner pissing match! There are many Revo, and Eurocharge users out there that have ZERO issues.

If stock maps run fine, and the tuned map does not, it is a tune/flash issue. Period.

I want one of those little Calvin logos where he's peeing:)

If the car can't handle the increased boost and timing you will get issues, good to keep an open mind on this stuff, all tunes can cause issues...

cjargo
July 31st, 2012, 19:19
I spoke to the Mechanic at EUROCODE where the original flash was purchased and they want to pull error codes, do a smoke test, and mentioned that there may be a bad DV. Now I'm technically ignorant to to a certain point, but aside from pulling codes does the rest of his ideas sound right? / Considering the car runs perfect in stock mode?

marklar182
July 31st, 2012, 19:52
I would have a vagcom owner log the car in stock mode to see what the Mafs/timing/fuel/boost is doing. Those logs posted here could tell you where to start, and not cost you a dime to the shop. This is why a Vagcom is so recommend, a couple hours of diagnostics and you could have bought a Vagcom!

Are your plugs new? Gapped correctly? Has the airbox been off at any point?

lswing
July 31st, 2012, 20:20
Yep, spend a few hundred bucks and a bit of your time, and you could save thousands in not replacing good parts...and time at the shop.

I agree with the air/spark train of thinking. More fuel and air (even though revo does not boost fuel the ecu will compensate some), not igniting correctly, backfire!

QuattroRS
August 1st, 2012, 02:16
I know of one Eurocharge overboost situation on a modified RS6 with reman turbos. Correct me if Im wrong but the requested boost in that situation is spot on and the hardware, ie turbo wastegates are not functioning properly leading to the overboost situation. Hahn can chime in if needed but I dont think he is "fighting" Eurocharge over anything but just trying to figure out his particular problem.

The OE posters problem is in some part of the Revo tune. IMHO and all the other parts throwing at it is just water under the bridge.

I had problems because it was overtuned, but it always ran like a bat out of hell, just pulled timing, causing little bumps, certainly when hot out. The issues cj is having are much more severe than anything I ever had, just saying. All I had to do was reduce the tune, find that sweet spot with boost and timing (thanks to your help Quattro), and add that bit of fuel with some free software. Granted a bit of extra work, but I really enjoy knowing all the details.

Revo will add WAY to much boost if you let it, but still find it odd you've got issues on the lowest setting. Again, maybe a bad flash as others have mentioned. I've heard they did an update years ago, try and check your version. They were always good support, and I got my tune already on the car. Sounds like some air or fueling issue, backfire is just crazy too have!

Ross-Tech cable is a must for many other reasons, best $250 spent on the car....because most everything else costs more than $250:)

Edit; There are two users fighting with Eurocharge issues right now, most likely overboost also...things will happen with tuning, certainly at home...

hahnmgh63
August 1st, 2012, 03:39
I figured out my problem but don't know why I didn't get it with the Revo, only with the Eurocharged tune but all is well and the tune is great, just did a log today that looks really good. My own fault. Upon installing my engine last fall I somehow managed to miss connecting the Stainless braded hose that goes to the Turbo Compressor outlet on the drivers side. The N75 has a line to the wastegates, one to the intake manifold, and one to each of the Turbo Compressor outlets. The computer measure Boost and if the pressure is approaching the limit it will send the signal to the N75 to open the Wastegates. In my case the one side was reading ambient pressure so the Wastegates couldn't respond fast enough and the car would over boost and go into soft limp mode. I do know that my Turbos will hold over 22psi so they are strong, probably more as that is the highest pressure (2540mb) that the pressure sensor will read. It took a little over 1sec of just over 22psi (or more) for the ECU to go into soft limp mode. I can't believe I made such a bonehead error when reassembling my engine/tranny. As I said, the current Eurocharged tune I have is running great now, it is running a little over 17psi and I am getting no SAI codes (complete SAI system removed) nor rear O2 codes (Milltek Catless Downpipes). Jerry at Eurocharge has another tune he'll give me if I want it that runs about 1psi more and all else the same so I may give that one a try and run a log to make sure timing, Lambda, EGT all looks good. Right now the Timing and Lambda values (around .85v at max boost) are good.

QuattroRS
August 2nd, 2012, 05:35
Thank you for that update Hahnmgh63 nice to see your ride in order.

Now we can get back to the OP question. I say Vagcom and dump the Revo for a better product.

lswing
August 2nd, 2012, 06:37
Highly doubt it's the tune, you should know that by Hahn sorting his issue mechanically, revo might not be the best but I've never heard of car issues like the op is having. Now logging is what needs to be done if you want to see the issue...

cjargo
August 2nd, 2012, 15:39
Issue sorted! A smoke test exposed a air tight system, and the DV's performed well under a vacuum test. Hmmm. Then pulled the DV's and one had a pitch-fork vibration when it was tapped. Probably the internal spring. Bought a new pair of 710N and WALLA! It's all good. Thanks for the feedback, I will def buy a Vagcom. Cheers!

lswing
August 2nd, 2012, 16:00
Excellent. Just beware that you can add way to much boost with that Revo SPS tool. When I bought my car they had it set at 6-6 (boost-timing), which was almost 19 psi (and it goes to 9-9 right). It had a ton of low end torque, but then pulled timing, probably almost knocking, and boost ran out quick.

Each car seems a bit different, but I'm at 3-5 with rebuilt turbos (and increased impeller shaft for more oil flow, cooling), and getting 15 psi boost on a cool air day. Plus that boost carries all the way up to 6k instead of falling off at 5k. That's with the w/m cooling things also. I would suggest 2-4 or 3-4 and see how the car feels, and logging will really let you fine tune it. It won't have the quick kick as much but will be better for the engine, and trans.

If you want the additional software to add some extra fuel in under boost just let me know. It's easy to do and works with the Vag-com/ross-tech cable. Cheers!

cjargo
August 4th, 2012, 02:10
I'm definitely interested in additional software. Revo's torque curve is to jagged for my taste, and a more elegant torque curve is what I'd tailor into the ECU. Since I'm new to the sandbox of "FLASHING", the short hand is cryptic and I have no clue where to begin, beyond the ross-tech goodies. Any direction would be appreciated.

makaveli42
August 4th, 2012, 02:27
Send your TCU and ECU to Rich at Viper or go with MTM

lswing
August 4th, 2012, 04:39
I'm definitely interested in additional software. Revo's torque curve is to jagged for my taste, and a more elegant torque curve is what I'd tailor into the ECU. Since I'm new to the sandbox of "FLASHING", the short hand is cryptic and I have no clue where to begin, beyond the ross-tech goodies. Any direction would be appreciated.

It's super smooth on my car, was rough last year when it was pulling timing because the tune was too aggressive. Just read up on the sps details. What are your settings?

hahnmgh63
August 4th, 2012, 17:31
Overall I was happy with my previous REVO tune. For the price at the time they were the best bang for the dollar, back when everyone else wanted $2.5K plus for a tune they were down around $699. In order to fine tune REVO though when using the higher end of their recommended Boost levels you needed to add a little more fueling which to adjust the REVO also required the use of a REVO SPS tool which cost more money, and also the use of an old REVO freeware program called Lemmiwinks to add the fueling. Through E-mails that Lswing received REVO didn't seem to want to acknowledge that their tune would run a little lean, which at lower Boost levels wasn't a big problem but the fueling wouldn't keep up at the higher Boost levels. In the end, besides going to Catless Milltek downpipes (better that gutting stock IMO, smoother and about 1/4" large dia. than stock), I also removed my complete SAI system. Revo would sell or give me a tune to code out the rear O2's but they didn't do anything for the SAI system so that made my decision to go with Eurcharged. I had my problems which weren't related to the Eurocharged tune but my own embarrassing fault but now I'm very happy with it. Jerry has supplied me with a couple of tunes with different Boost levels and I get no O2 or SAI system faults and the logs show a more richer mixture without any tweaking that I was getting with the REVO. Right now in the RS6 software realm I think Eurocharged & Viper are the two to go with, especially if you want something custom like the O2 and/or SAI system coded. Jerry coded out both for me without charging any extra over their off the shelf RS6 tunes.

cjargo
August 18th, 2012, 22:39
It's super smooth on my car, was rough last year when it was pulling timing because the tune was too aggressive. Just read up on the sps details. What are your settings?

The numbers are in the following order: boost timing fuel

Default 6 2 9

Performance A 7 1 0

Performance B 9 5 0

Performance C 9 9 0

Since you're farther up the bell curve, what are your settings, and what would be your suggested settings? FYI: Tomorrow I'll read up on "How to log" with the Ross VAG-COM and study the Lemmiwinks as well. Any heads up on any of the software goodies would be appreactiated. Cheers!

lswing
August 19th, 2012, 23:59
Yea the REVO default number is ridiculous, way too much boost for my car at least. Running 3-5-9 for me, try maybe 3-3, nice and safe. Remember the last number does nothing. Also, I've got the water meth kit, and adding extra fuel with another program. I'll get you more info later if you need. My car does seem to boost high as it's about maxed out for decent boost at 16psi, that's set on three, it will run 19psi when turned up, but does not perform as well. Log your timing-3, egt-112, boost-115...