PDA

View Full Version : transmission pan gasket

Chung
July 30th, 2012, 18:01
My transmission is leaking from the pan gasket ever so subtly. I think Audi over torqued the bolts at one point. Is there a better gasket than stock?

July 31st, 2012, 03:25
How much leakage?

hahnmgh63
July 31st, 2012, 14:35
There just thin gaskets, I have 3 or 4 of them if you need one. Probably need to pull the pan and straighten it if it is bent.

marklar182
July 31st, 2012, 15:09
Or just replace the pan and gasket for piece of mind.......

Chung
July 31st, 2012, 17:42
Just a couple of drops over three nights. The pan is scratched though. I should probably do the work myself but these transmissions make me nervous. They seem so fragile.

Hy Octane
August 1st, 2012, 17:24
Had this problem. The pan on my replacement tranny kept leaking, so replaced the gasket a few times.. every time working for a few weeks then started leaking again.. Finally they just replaced the pan itself and all has been well since. The good part is that they had to refill the tranny every time so we had a good flush and new juice for free..

Chung
August 1st, 2012, 17:33
I am always glad when I post here. I would have not thought about a new pan and probably developed this problem again. A new pan it is.

vitalian
August 1st, 2012, 20:36
Good info -- I just had the pan gasket replaced, but if seeping reoccurs I'll change the pan also.

hahnmgh63
August 2nd, 2012, 00:05
The pan is common to most ZF 5HP24A tranny's but still is not cheap. It definitely should be Torqued and not tightened by feel. If the price is too much let's just pull it and use a straight edge to check for any warping around the bolt holes. I've had mine off at least 3 times for fluid changes and it's still dry.