PDA

View Full Version : RNS-E Help

04rs6cdn
July 27th, 2012, 03:41
For those of you that have done the install maybe you can give me some insight. I purchased a unit on e-bay. It came with the harness but this harness has 4 connectors on it so the brown one has no where to go. I have three (plus antenae) coming from behind my symphony 2 radio. When I plug everything in it does not power up...nothing....when I un hook it I can hear a small noise from the speakers.

This is a genuine Audi unit out of an Allroad.

Does the Farka adaptor need to be plugged in for it to power up? ( I have that and a GPS antenna on order)

Does something need to be set in the ECU?

When I plug in my old radio it works fine.

Or is it just toast? I checked the fuse on the back of the unit and it seems fine.

Looking for ideas..thx...Ken

marklar182
July 27th, 2012, 04:37
Brown is not used since you have Bose.

It should power on with only the Quadlock harness installed.

Unit may be bad!

1uglymug
July 27th, 2012, 10:45
Does the Farka adaptor need to be plugged in for it to power up? ( I have that and a GPS antenna on order)

Does something need to be set in the ECU?

It should power up without the Fakra adaptor attached. Also, there should be no setting change needed at the ECU. I followed these directions and everything went smoothly:

http://home.comcast.net/~nelson.paiva/RNS-E.pdf

No trouble shooting was needed except that my Fakra cable was male-male instead of male-femaie. I had to gain access to the antenna through the ceiling instead of in the trunk. Other than that, no other trouble shooting was needed.

Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

SteveKen
July 27th, 2012, 18:18
I'm not too sure about not powering up, but you need to verify the pinouts of the adapter. The Bose vs non-Bose pinouts are different. I'm guessing the power pins would be the same though.

Nonetheless, check the harness adapter...

marklar182
July 27th, 2012, 19:09
Does the fan even turn on? If not as said check the harness, but I would get you money back ASAP if you suspect something fishy. How much did you buy it for?