PDA

View Full Version : Audi Phone removal from arm rest

1uglymug
July 23rd, 2012, 01:59
I researched as much as I could before doing this, but there were only 2 methods described: hacksaw the screws or pry screws out with a flat head screw driver. I read that there were plastic pieces behind that pop off if you pry hard enough. Not true, mine were metal.

Anyone that has tried to unscrew this mounting knows that you will just turn and turn and get nowhere. My lessons learned are below. If someone has done a better job, please share.

Pictures are below.

If I were to do this again, here is what I would have done: 1) Tape up the inside of the arm rest with masking tape before starting to protect the felt. Not an easy place to vacuum and there tends to be a lot of debris. 2) Cut the arms off of the mount first with bolt cutters and used the arms to pry out the screws. If you look at my pictures, the back sides, I tried to pop it off with a screw driver (created a big hole on the back two screws. On the front, I cut the arms and gently pulled back and forth on the arms until the screw popped out. It came out much cleaner in the front.

On another note, does anyone know how to connect an iPhone plug in the space below the armrest? Is there a clean way to connect an iPhone in that location? Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

MNRS6
July 29th, 2012, 17:22
The Bentley manual states you should heat up the screw heads with a soldering iron to melt the plastic off the end so you can remove it. Says there should be a little smoke when it is melted.

1uglymug
July 31st, 2012, 07:57
Thank you for your post. This would have been good information to have. After reading your post, I ordered the Bentley manual for future use.

I might end up replacing the armrest completely, but for now, I am just happy to be able to use this space for storage. I plan to wire my iPhone through the base using the iPhone/ipod integration kit.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/News/Audi_Silverline_DUO_iPod_Integration_Kit/

Possibly bluetooth to follow? If anyone else has done this, would love to hear some details.

Thanks again!