PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt - Questions/Help

pierson
July 22nd, 2012, 12:55
What would happen if I waited 40k plus (since the last change) to change my timing belt?

What options are there for doing it outside of the Audi service world?

4.2Crew
July 22nd, 2012, 13:38
What would happen if I waited 40k plus (since the last change) to change my timing belt?

What options are there for doing it outside of the Audi service world?

Not sure what is meant "outside of Audi service world"... The obvious protocol options for the maintenance are:

1) Audi Dealer----$$$$, but prolly helps with resale somewhat to some future buyers
2) Independent Service Center with experience in VW/Audi platforms
3) Specialty Tuner---may not have done a RS6, but possibly capable/competent
3) DIY----Always been my route

As far as waiting, IMHO, probably not worth the risk.... The weakest links of the items replaced during a front-end refresh are:

water pump
thermostat
idler rollers
idler roller bolts
ratcheting tensioner

Actual timing belt failures are extremely rare. Cam and crank seals should be replaced IF leaking AND the appropriate seal pullers are used... IF leaking, GET and USE correct seal pullers!... That's good question to ask when interviewing prospective repair facilities. If they don't know what your talking about, or use "shadetree" methods, you may want to look elsewhere! Once the inside mating surface is scratched, you will forever be staring at a very oily front end despite new seals!

Bigglezworth
July 22nd, 2012, 16:10
Yogurt doesn't magically go bad on the best by date. Timing belts don't magically stop working at 35K. If you are not in a position to do the work until 40K is up, I personally can't see anything wrong with that. As mentioned by many and also above, just ensure the change is done by someone who knows what they are doing. That doesn't automatically mean an Audi dealer. It means a certified mechanic or someone who although not certified, has worked on cars (engines) for years and well knows the correct procedures and protocols associated with an item like this.

kday
July 23rd, 2012, 05:57
35 or 40 thousand miles is a really short timing belt interval. The naturally aspirated version of this engine has a timing belt interval of 2 or 3 times that. Maybe they didn't put as many preservatives in this high end yogurt as they do in the mass market stuff...