PDA

View Full Version : Replacing thermostat.. Need advice..

Hy Octane
July 19th, 2012, 22:57
Is anyone aware of a third party that makes a thermostat for these cars that allows the engine to run cooler than the stock ones?
My tech asked me to ask you all .. we believe many boost cutting problems I am having are caused by too much heat and can be eliminated if we can get this thing to run cooler in hot climates..

Ex. I dont usually like to drive with the AC on but when I do the engine runs cooler and does not trip into default mode. If I can get this kind of cooling without having to run the AC in summer, .......you get the idea..

Der Fatherland has absolutely nothing to help me on this...Thanx..

lswing
July 19th, 2012, 23:19
Thoughts on a water meth kit? You can get a nice install that doesn't take filling to often, maybe around $1,200 I think is where mine was with parts and labor.

Are you tuned, how is the boost cutting out, just little bits or all the way?

ben916
July 19th, 2012, 23:27
Thoughts on a water meth kit? You can get a nice install that doesn't take filling to often, maybe around $1,200 I think is where mine was with parts and labor.

Are you tuned, how is the boost cutting out, just little bits or all the way?

I think Hy Octane is referring to the heat soak in warmer climates.

My initial thoughts are that there isn't an additional or different t-stat.
But collectively as a group there are some other solutions:
1. Water Meth kit - fools the ECU, cools the incoming charge air. (significant IAT reduction)
2. Sportec cooling mod - lets out some of that hot air from the bottom of the car
3. Radiator fan sensor - replacing the black one with the green one (sorry, this isn't very descriptive and I don't even know the part number)
4. Headshot hood mod - cutting two large holes/vents in the front part of the hood, cutting one long thinner hole at the rear of the hood by the windshield wipers. Proven to reduce hood temp by 20 degrees F (I think it was F)

One would think that there would be a more simple thing as a upgraded t-stat out there...

lswing
July 19th, 2012, 23:31
^^^ That there's a good list...if we didn't have so much rain and crap on our roads I'd be cutting some holes in the under tray myself....and that hood mod was pretty sweet, well done!

makaveli42
July 20th, 2012, 00:57
Any pics of the hood vent mod????

And I thought meth kits were like $400. Not $1200?

hahnmgh63
July 20th, 2012, 01:24
Guy's in Dubai are running the car with no problems so I would check the rest of the car for proper operation. Plus in N. America all of our cars have the Aux radiators whereas they were an option (and not too common of one) to the rest of the world.

lswing
July 20th, 2012, 02:48
Any pics of the hood vent mod????

And I thought meth kits were like $400. Not $1200?

$500 for kit, $450 install, $100 custom carpeted trunk mount, love it! So $1k for a pretty sweet setup...

marklar182
July 20th, 2012, 03:50
Guy's in Dubai are running the car with no problems so I would check the rest of the car for proper operation. Plus in N. America all of our cars have the Aux radiators whereas they were an option (and not too common of one) to the rest of the world.

I agree, no issues down here in TX. Even last year in 40+ straight days of over 100*

Have you logged the car at all?

Elevens
July 20th, 2012, 03:54

Agreed. Down here in South Florida its been extremely hot lately (90+ every day) and I have had no issues at all, even without holes in the hood or the belly pan and no meth injection. Its either the Tune (if you've got one) or other factors which would cause poor drive-ability issues at high environmental temperatures. I believe there are lower temperature Thermostats around, but the car is designed to run efficiently at a certain temperature. Lowering that operating Temperature I believe will not solve your issues. Not much help, but I'm saying you should check other area's which can cause boost limiting.............................

Bigglezworth
July 20th, 2012, 04:20
Lots of Detroit power guys swap out their standard T-stats for 160deg stats. Most do it under the guise that doing so will make their engine run cooler. Don't drink the Koolaid....

Many fail to understand that proper operating temperatures for an engine is about oil temperature and the longevity that comes as a result. Engine wear reduces expodentially as engine temps come up. Those that change oil at 3000K vs. the OEM specific timeframes which are significanlty greater don't worry about the increased wear and tear on the oil running a lower temp T-stat. Back in the 60-70's, hot rodders ran 160 thermostats so their rides wouldn't overheat on hot days. If your radiator is adeqate, 180 is by far better. 160 only helps with an undersized radiator, and then only until there are really hot days.

What does your temperature guage say? Is it running hotter than what is deemed standard?

I just ripped out my entire auxilary rad system being as I don't have cooling problems where I live. A hot day is 35deg C and that's only a couple of days a year.