PDA

View Full Version : Smelling Gas!! Oh No!!

Elevens
July 18th, 2012, 21:06
Well I filled her Last night, only to have the Wife complain about smelling Gas in the Garage. I checked under the car only to find the Infamous Driver side Tank leak (DAMN!). These cars all seem to suffer the same fate. Called up the Dealer to see what they can do. I have not been in for the Rollover Valve recall yet, so they said bring it in. The fact that they have to tear apart the Rear end to get to the Tank scares me, but there's not much I can do about that. I will let you know how it turns out and what the actual leak turns out to be...........

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/20120718_162701.jpg

kismetcapitan
July 18th, 2012, 21:17
IIRC the dealer didn't have to do that much to get to the tank to do the recall, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. No holes drilled under the rear seat or anything.

Elevens
July 18th, 2012, 21:31
IIRC the dealer didn't have to do that much to get to the tank to do the recall, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. No holes drilled under the rear seat or anything.

I sure hope your correct. What bother's me is that the Recall may have nothing to do with the leak. We'll see...........................

marklar182
July 18th, 2012, 22:51
Mine is in for the same thing. If it is leaking the recall can't be performed, it is a tank replacement. That means dropping the rear subframe.....

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22589-RS6-Now-Included-in-Fuel-Rollover-Valve-Recall?p=236467&viewfull=1#post236467

Chung
July 19th, 2012, 02:06
Yay a new gas tank.

hahnmgh63
July 19th, 2012, 02:21
Sorry Vinny. At least it means a new tank instead of a Epoxy gooped up reinforcement on the old brittle tank. How's the car lately, haven't talked to you in a while?

Elevens
July 19th, 2012, 03:41
HI Mark. Car's been fine until now. Just got back from a weeks Vacation and decided to fill her up, and then this. Fuel Tank ! you got to be kidding me ! Any way that's the way it goes. I'll give you a call this weekend. Hopefully it will be corrected by then..........................

Elevens
July 20th, 2012, 04:11
Went to Audi today, I decided to wait with the car to see what the verdict would be. After about half an hour the Service manager came to me and said that fuel was leaking from the roll over valve on top of the tank, and that the Tank had to be replaced. After a few phone calls they said they would take care of it, no charge. Happy days are here again, I jumped with Joy. The only drawback is that they have to keep the car until the middle of next week, since the tank has to ordered and it takes whole day to complete the job because the whole rear end has to be dropped. If only they would do same with the Transmission............

Chung
July 20th, 2012, 18:39
I ma not sure if it is recommended or not but I replaced my fuel pump in the tank while it was out.

Elevens
July 20th, 2012, 22:09
I ma not sure if it is recommended or not but I replaced my fuel pump in the tank while it was out.

I'll consider that. Thanks. MarkLar182, how did you make out?

marklar182
July 20th, 2012, 22:23
I'll consider that. Thanks. MarkLar182, how did you make out?

Still at the dealer. A blown R8 engine was ahead of my car (eek).

They sounded like they wanted to repair the rollover valve via extended warranty but I pushed them to look at the recall info again and get back to me.

Elevens
July 20th, 2012, 22:38
Still at the dealer. A blown R8 engine was ahead of my car (eek).

They sounded like they wanted to repair the rollover valve via extended warranty but I pushed them to look at the recall info again and get back to me.

Since yours is leaking badly as mine was, I don't think you should have an issue. Within a half hour they came back and said I could not drive the car any more and that they would replace it Free of charge. Let's hope the same for you......................

eanders
July 21st, 2012, 03:59
Just how costly is this repair, and how prevalent? I just bought one... know maintenance and repairs will be very high, but have never had to replace a tank before.

MaxRS6
July 21st, 2012, 04:19
Just how costly is this repair, and how prevalent? I just bought one... know maintenance and repairs will be very high, but have never had to replace a tank before.

I am on tank #5...I say relatively prevalent for this kid...

A previous thread link..

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23223-raw-fuel-smell!!?highlight=GAS+TANK

Chung
July 21st, 2012, 07:14
repair is free under recall though. It impacts, A6's, Allroads, and Passats as well.

marklar182
July 27th, 2012, 01:35
Since yours is leaking badly as mine was, I don't think you should have an issue. Within a half hour they came back and said I could not drive the car any more and that they would replace it Free of charge. Let's hope the same for you......................

Dealer insists it's repair only. They are doing the work no charge. So, once it starts leaking again I will take it back. Hopefully I won't be cooked well done!

Elevens
July 27th, 2012, 04:44
Hopefully I will be done tomorrow. Took a whole week for the Tank to come from Germany. None over hear. Service Guy called me up to let me know its hear, and that hopefully it can be completed by tomorrow evening. Just hope they put my baby back together correctly. Its been over a week I've been without my RS. Its so boring driving the Allroad or anything else. You don't realize how masculine these cars are until you drive something else. I feel like a Bully in the RS, Unintentionally Intimidating everyone everywhere I go. Its times like this without the car, that you realize how special they are.

lswing
July 27th, 2012, 05:12
Hope they fix you up good. Yep this car is bossy, just a beast!

marklar182
July 31st, 2012, 23:56
Got mine back today. They just repaired the rollover valve with epoxy, and reinforced the others.

Forgot what the car felt like after driving the loaner Q5 for 2 weeks.

Elevens
August 1st, 2012, 00:17
Glad to hear that marklar182. Didn't get mine back yet. In addition to changing the Tank their changing all related hoses also. Obviously the hoses had to be ordered and hence further delay. Hopefully I am looking at the end of the week. I am getting fed up with the the mere 300hp of the allroad, and I really miss all that Torque. Oh well the misery continues..........................

eanders
August 1st, 2012, 02:34
Glad to hear that marklar182. Didn't get mine back yet. In addition to changing the Tank their changing all related hoses also. Obviously the hoses had to be ordered and hence further delay. Hopefully I am looking at the end of the week. I am getting fed up with the the mere 300hp of the allroad, and I really miss all that Torque. Oh well the misery continues..........................

Is this repair covered by Audi... a service bulletin of sorts? Mine has 72k miles, and to my knowledge has not had any gas tank issues as yet... just curious if I will be on the hook, or them. Thanks

marklar182
August 1st, 2012, 02:58
It is a recall, if you have not had your car in for a fuel tank rollover valve recall, I suggest getting it in ASAP before it starts to leak.

hahnmgh63
August 1st, 2012, 03:27
I'm almost hoping that it starts to leak, then, per the recall they have to replace the tank rather than just epoxy reinforce already brittle plastic fittings.

marklar182
August 1st, 2012, 04:02
I'm almost hoping that it starts to leak, then, per the recall they have to replace the tank rather than just epoxy reinforce already brittle plastic fittings.

Thats what I thought/understood as well but they epoxy'd my leaking tank even after I questioned it.

Elevens
August 1st, 2012, 04:41

Yeah, I think I got lucky. Mine had started to leak pretty badly. They Immediately told me to leave it, and that they would replace it. The related hoses though they said I would have to pay for. I am not complaining, to have the fuel tank replaced under the recall free of charge is good enough for me. I just hope they have some competent boys that will put the Beast back together properly..........

vitalian
August 1st, 2012, 20:34
You don't realize how masculine these cars are until you drive something else.

I beg to differ, dude -- my car's got nothing but GRRRRRRRLLLLL power.:addict:

Elevens
August 4th, 2012, 01:53
Picked up the Beast today. Must say Coral Springs Audi Treated me Extremely well. Took care of the Entire Job At Zero cost to me. This included the Fuel Tank, all Related hoses and a Fuel Pump which they claim was about to fail. Since they had to disassemble the rear end I got a full 4-wheel alignment also, Fantastic. I was prepared to pay something, but nothing. Couldn't be happier. Total Cost was shown to be about $3000.00 with Labor. Will every Audi Dealership do this, I don't know. I think most would try the cheap way out, But mine was leaking to badly for them to Epoxy it since the Rollover had cracked. At any rate its good to have her back, and as I have said before you don't really know what you have until you lose it for a while. This thing is absolutely Brutal................................

lswing
August 4th, 2012, 05:24
Excellent it turned out well! Brutal for sure, glad you're enjoying the beast! Driving is a joy each day, and even better when I'm first to go at a light. Plus your machine is top notch with the work you've done, very nice.

mmaturo
August 6th, 2012, 06:30

If you even mention the tank or anything related to it they replace it if it has not been or used to anyway...I had two...the second time the fuel pump too. No cost to me. This was a year and a half ago right before i traded it in...I actually brought it in because the fuel gauge started reading wrong vs the read out for miles remaining in the trip computer and since the sensor is inaccessible they just replaced the tank...and my gauges...and a few other things till it all worked.