PDA

View Full Version : does cheap clone always mean cheap clone?

bmwade
July 17th, 2012, 13:59
ok i'm ready to do RNS-E upgrade. and as i was shopping around i found this on the 'bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330734036122?item=330734036122&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

the kit includes everything needed. i asked about it and this is the reply i got:

"Its a realy good clone, our factory makes parts for AUDI in China and therefore they can make the unit as close to OEM spec."

so my question is has anyone bought one of these? if so how does it work? and would i be better off spending more for the Zawa unit?

ThrillHouse
July 17th, 2012, 14:12
I had good luck with one in my leased gti. Its had some minor issues but nothing major. That said thou, I considered one but decided not to put it in the rs6.

ben916
July 17th, 2012, 17:45
"Don't go cheap on me, Dodgson"

Zawa's RNS-E

/Thread

:)

mrdave
July 17th, 2012, 18:56
Hardware-wise it's probably pretty decent and will probably look very similar to the OEM unit. However, I can almost guarantee that the software and UI is complete garbage.

ThrillHouse
July 17th, 2012, 20:11
Hardware-wise it's probably pretty decent and will probably look very similar to the OEM unit. However, I can almost guarantee that the software and UI is complete garbage.

Not sure how these are but the one I had did have a functional but wonky interface. It was just ok. The GPS was actually iGo and that was pretty good.

Jimmy
July 17th, 2012, 20:30
Please, get the real deal from Adam aka 'zawa' .

sheatisdale
July 18th, 2012, 00:57
I cannot say enough good things about Adam (Zawa). The RNS-e he sent me is flawless and I wish I had done it earlier.

He is the best source for a really great upgrade for your beast.

Shea

zawa
July 18th, 2012, 01:25
Hey Guys

Thank you for positive feedback. Yes cheap clone will always be cheap clone. Poor interface, lack of full compatibility, soft glitches will drive you crazy with time.

For a reason these show up for sale on A-zine for cheap as buyers quickly realize the mistake they made.
If it’s too good to be truth, it is.

It’s like getting super sports sedan (RS6) and putting on no name tires made in China. Car will ride for sure but on every corner you would have to listen closely if something is about to blow. It will work, but how and for how long that is different question.
Does RS6 or Audi in general deserves real OEM unit...current owners please speak out :-)

Than kall you for great feedback and support.

zawa

<o:pPS. Jimmy...I have something for you ;-) email me please</o

Cochese
July 18th, 2012, 04:25
I bought one and ended up selling it before I even tried installing it because my wife renewed XM. The buyer had a ton of issues with it, from install to software.

Run far away.

Zawa is great to deal with if you want OEM.

Or, get an appradio2 if you have an iPhone or android device.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gznD9NAxQa8/UAYwSj7gXuI/AAAAAAAAE0A/t13Z__W28P8/s912/20120717_124942.jpg

ben916
July 18th, 2012, 05:08
Hey Guys

Thank you for positive feedback. Yes cheap clone will always be cheap clone. Poor interface, lack of full compatibility, soft glitches will drive you crazy with time.

For a reason these show up for sale on A-zine for cheap as buyers quickly realize the mistake they made.
If it’s too good to be truth, it is.

It’s like getting super sports sedan (RS6) and putting on no name tires made in China. Car will ride for sure but on every corner you would have to listen closely if something is about to blow. It will work, but how and for how long that is different question.
Does RS6 or Audi in general deserves real OEM unit...current owners please speak out :-)

Than kall you for great feedback and support.

zawa

<o:pPS. Jimmy...I have something for you ;-) email me please</o

uh oh.... mine are made in Korea....

lswing
July 18th, 2012, 05:16
I bought one and ended up selling it before I even tried installing it because my wife renewed XM. The buyer had a ton of issues with it, from install to software.

Run far away.

Zawa is great to deal with if you want OEM.

Or, get an appradio2 if you have an iPhone or android device.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gznD9NAxQa8/UAYwSj7gXuI/AAAAAAAAE0A/t13Z__W28P8/s912/20120717_124942.jpg

Whatever that is, the install just looks bad....yikes!

bmwade
August 5th, 2012, 02:53
Got it ordered from Zawa!

Cochese
August 6th, 2012, 09:00
Whatever that is, the install just looks bad....yikes!

It was in and out while I was diagnosing an issue with the pre-outs on the head unit if you are referring to the fascia. I ended up returning it and switching to a Kenwood DNX6990HD.

The install is clean and the head unit is awesome.