PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Beast... need advice on extended service contract...

eanders
July 17th, 2012, 12:36
This is probably a tired topic on this board, and I have read a number of the threads on this, but needed to throw this out there. I really appreciate any advice you guys have to offer.

I bought an RS6 with 72k miles. Like most state, car is well maintained and in very good condition. This is my first German car, and know maintenance and repairs will be costly, but don't have a good sense of propensity for the car to break (relative to Honda's, let's say).

Here are the specific questions:
Is an extended service contract a must? From what I've read, a lot of you recommend this.
The dealer I bought the RS6 from was not pushing one (frankly did not advocate one), but has access to Wheelz (by American Auto Guardian). Anyone know anything about this company?
I see some folks recommend Fidelity... any other service contract referrals.

Thanks much for the input.

makaveli42
July 17th, 2012, 15:16
Google extended warranties for cars, then start calling them. I don't think Fidelity takes in anymore RS6s. Best one I found was Pinnacle, talked then down from $4800 for 5yr/60k miles to $3200. It comers up to $15k in repairs and included rental car and towing. Make sure and ask questions about the coverage. I called on company that would replace the tranny but not the TC, and only engine part they covered was the turbos.

It's not a must to get one but it highly reccommended. A $100 deductible is better than. $6000 tranny.

makaveli42
July 17th, 2012, 15:17
Pics and mods of ur car??

vitalian
July 17th, 2012, 15:28
I bought my RS6 in February 2011 with 81K miles. The car had been meticulously maintained by the original owner. I spent about $4.5K on an aftermarket warranty through the dealership. It's a comprehensive, zero-deductible warranty through National.

In the year and a half I have owned the car, National has paid approximately $10K for repairs. It also covered towing when I was stranded with a non-functioning starter. I don't know if my experience is typical, but if you don't have a lot of extra cash lying around for repairs, I would definitely recommend getting a warranty. Be aware that "typical" repairs on an RS6 (like replacing a starter) that would be pretty easy on most cars often involve an engine drop because the insane Germans who designed this car crammed so much hardware into a smallish engine bay that many parts cannot be accessed any other way. Therefore, the labor costs will kill you. Plus, if anything major goes wrong (torque converter or transmission), you're looking at an easy ten grand.

eanders
July 17th, 2012, 23:08
Pics and mods of ur car??

No mods... will get some pics in the next week or so.

eanders
July 17th, 2012, 23:11
Thanks for the detailed response... think the decision is going to be which warranty provider.