PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt replacement procedure documentation....

4.2Crew
July 3rd, 2012, 21:40
Does anyone have a comprehensive documented procedure for doing the front-end refresh????

Here's the Scoop: Driving home from work today, the coolant temp continued to rise beyond normal---even at highway speeds with the cabin heat... Temp would recover somewhat at much lower speeds, and would stay at normal while at idle AND the AC on!... Gotta be a coolant circulation issue (water pump or thermostat.) F*CK. Anyway, I'll likely be refreshing the entire front-end. Have done a 1998 1.8T and a 2001 A6 4.2L several times, but would still like more specific insight and detail for the RS6... Thanks!

kday
July 5th, 2012, 06:39
The Bentley manual has the essential information. If you've done an A6 4.2 there should be no surprises.

I don't think I've ever heard of an Audi thermostat sticking closed. They seem to fail open quite a bit. (I've had it happen on 3 different Audis... and never on any other make.)

If there's nothing obviously wrong with the water pump I'd take a close look at the radiator. Maybe it's partially blocked.

kilian tuning
July 5th, 2012, 06:45
where to get the bentley manual (torrent)

4.2Crew
July 5th, 2012, 13:27
Update:

After having the car flat-bed'd home Tuesday afternoon, I was able source a complete timing belt kit from IMOLA that evening before they closed for the Holiday weekend thru Monday morning. Luckily, a local Audi club member had the needed tools (cam bar etc.) The front-end was in the service position by that same evening. Wednesday--was able to open it up and inspect for an obvious culprit... Couple thing caught my eye:

1) Water pump had noticable slop in the bushings---but no leakage.
2) Timing belt was very loose between the cam sprockets---this is where the water pump is driven.
3) Tensioner seemed fine, but.....
4) After hand turning the engine to find TDC, the belt tightened!!! WTF???
5) Looking back, the car did have a slightly rougher than normal idle for the last week... Could this be related to the timing slightly off due to the lack of proper belt tension?

It was stupud hot (100F and 72%RH) on Tuesday when the overheating occcured... Jeff at IMOLA stated he had seen weird things happen on 4.2L engines in extreme hot weather. I could speculate on the sequence of events, but it is a irrelevant now... Front-end is totally refreshed. Topped the G12 off last night and started it. Runs very smooth! Just need to replace the wheel liners and belly pan today before test driving...

kday
July 5th, 2012, 15:32

You can afford an RS6, but the $80 for a repair manual DVD is too much?

ben916
July 5th, 2012, 18:11

I purchased my BOOK version from www.PureMS.com (http://www.PureMS.com)
The DVD is available also for the same price but you might have an issue with the DVD region code (USA vs Netherlands)

lswing
July 5th, 2012, 18:15
Glad to hear the work went well, excellent!

kday
July 5th, 2012, 18:31
I purchased my BOOK version from www.PureMS.com (http://www.PureMS.com)
The DVD is available also for the same price but you might have an issue with the DVD region code (USA vs Netherlands)

It's a data disc, so there's no region coding... That's just for video.

4.2Crew
July 6th, 2012, 19:18
Update #2:

Road test went well... No leaks or worrisome sounds. Coolant temp remains where it should---at both highway speeds and stop-an-go with AC set at 70F---even with outside MN temps @ 96F and 70% RH!

Gotta say, this front end refresh (t-belt, water pump, thermostat, rollers, tensioner etc) went very well... I was expecting a horrific experience compared to the 2001 A6 4.2L sport I refreshed 3 times. Really no different.

Should be good for 35k-40k miles....

4everRS
July 7th, 2012, 04:52
Veddy nice Greg. Glad it went well. Mine is due in about 10k. Not really excited about it.

ben916
July 7th, 2012, 05:50
Mine is due in -1500 miles ago...
;(

kilian tuning
July 7th, 2012, 07:18
mine 4 years ago, not in km....:(

4.2Crew
July 7th, 2012, 12:14
Veddy nice Greg. Glad it went well. Mine is due in about 10k. Not really excited about it.

Thanks, Kyle!

Well, a lift and an extra set of hands makes it soooo much easier!... Just say'n.... Let me know if you'd like help. And, Ron Woods (local guy with required tools) lives 1 mile away.

The most challenging part for me was re-installing the damn bumper cover!....

I think wifey is joining me at C & C this morning... Sounds like a huge turn-out is expected today. I'll let you know how it goes.

USAF Long
December 4th, 2012, 19:18
how long did it take labor wise?

4.2Crew
December 4th, 2012, 22:33
I would estimate around 10 hrs total... Removing the fender liners and bumper, and getting the nose into the service position takes a good portion of the time.

Primo
December 5th, 2012, 01:23
Why does it have timing belt and not chain? Is this possible to modify?

mik15
December 5th, 2012, 04:31
good question for the Audi engineers...the RS4 B7 has a chain, would've been a lot easier and less expensive on long term using a chain, i am also wondering what made them choose the belt over the chain, what are the advantages 'cause we know the disadvantages :)