PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problems

Mal
October 24th, 2003, 22:22
I ve read in another forum that some problems are occuring with using shell optimax fuel. Does anyone know anything about this?

JAXRS6
October 25th, 2003, 02:21
I've used Shell premium in the U.S., if that's optimax; no problems.

gjg
October 25th, 2003, 09:04
UK Optimax is 98 Premium, same as Shell Premium in US - I did not see "Optimax" name used in US and I can't tell what is the difference - there is some info on Shell website.

On continent (Euro that is) I 've used Shell V-Power 99+ octane. It does make difference in turbo car in summer weather. Price difference between 99+ and 98is is about $0.25 per liter .....

TheBrit
October 25th, 2003, 12:29
Originally posted by Mal
I ve read in another forum that some problems are occuring with using shell optimax fuel. Does anyone know anything about this?
I've seen a posting on another forum that says don't use Optimax, but to be honest I've been using it since last December and over 22,000 miles and I haven't had a problem.

The owner's manaul does state something about 95 RON fuel being recommended only if 98 RON is not available (the exact wording escapes me, but it hints at using a light right foot on 95 RON to avoid engine damage).

I've also run Esso 97 RON Super Unleaded (two tanks so far) when I can't find a Shell station (or when the forecourt is dug up as has happened to my local recently!), and I've had no problems despite using all the available performance. :incar:

The most important thing is the quality of the petrol you put in, petrol from reputable suppliers should be 'clean' enough, but contaminated fuel can lead to 'detonation' where (IIRC) the mixture ignites before the spark plug fires and while the piston is still compressing, and this can cause damage.

There has been a reported issue with the new S4 and dropped valves causing damage, but I don't think it has any real impact on the RS 6 as the respective V8s are different.