PDA

View Full Version : Buying a beast: want some insight!

bmwade
June 29th, 2012, 16:23
Here's the car I'm buying:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=93420&endYear=2013&modelCode1=RS6&startYear=1981&makeCode1=AUDI&maxMileage=30000&searchRadius=0&listingId=305569127&Log=0

It's got 29k miles, it's supposedly had brakes, timing belt, and DRC recall done. It comes with warranty though IAP to 70k miles or September of 2014.

It has 19" ASA rims, miltek exaust, and O.CT tune(stage 3?) to 525hp. Tune and exaust done by stratmosphere.

I've looked up the carfax, and it's clean. But I'm curious if anyone has seen this car, or knows of its history? Or can tell me what to look for to make sure I'm getting what i'm paying for(not that I don't trust the seller, just being cautious!) can provide vin if it's needed.

Brav
June 29th, 2012, 16:37
I wouldn't trust anyone who would put those god awful chrome AMG knockoffs on any car like that.. who knows what other poor choices were made.

The price seems fair. 2 years of warranty is nice but unsure of IAP. They will hi or engine warranty with a chipped car? As long as they would cover dried seals in the engine for lack of use and you do an inspection on the car,why not.. values become subjective at this low mileage price point. Its been discussed a bit. You can get a higher mileage car for almost half the price. If 2 years of warranty is worth 15k to you, and it very well could, then it makes sense.

DITCH THE WHEELS.

ben916
June 29th, 2012, 16:54
well, THAT exact car has been for sale for years (started at like $56k and has sat) and I don't remember the mileage that it started with...

It looks clean, minus the rims, and hopefully there is some wiggle room on the price (not to say that it isn't worth every penny, it just seems slightly high)
The good things are the warranty and the low mileage.
The questionable things are the timing belt and the low mileage.

You would need some more information on the timing belt service and you can check the rotors yourself (don't forget to check the brake fluid color, if you can - should be clear, not green).

Prior to my ownership, the DRC recall was performed.
About 6 months into my ownership, I got the funky clunking FL, RR and had the system repressurized @ $550.
So just because the recall was performed, doesn't mean it is flawless.

Also if you can find details on the warranty (meaning exclusions, deductables, transfer fees) - that might be beneficial

Stratmosphere doesn't exist anymore but John has opened another company, Search Audizine for details.

I am sure others will add their two/three cents and you should prepare for OZZY soon...

bmwade
June 29th, 2012, 17:11
Yeah I'm not a fan of the wheels either, but I'll either have them powder coated or buy some RS6+ rims. Got to do something to make it mine anyways. Warrenty is fairly important but the low miles is definitely important, there are things that fail regardless of care when the miles get high, and I'm starting to seeing that with my B6 S4 that's currently in the shop with 115k on the clock. Also it's sort of an investment to me and people will always pay more for a collector car with lower miles vs higher miles.

ben916
June 29th, 2012, 17:15
what about this one?
http://pacific.porschedealer.com/preowned/Audi/Rs6+4dr+Sdn+4.2l+Quattro+Awd/2003/GREY/grey/838824/info.php

Elevens
June 29th, 2012, 17:22
^^^ Agreed. The Chrome wheels along with the unusually high stance due to the DRC definitely deters from the looks of such a high end car. Aside from that, the car seems to be in pristine condition and with the Mods ,Warranty and Low mileage is probably worth the Money. The Exhaust and Downpipes alone are about 3-4k or more. And God knows how expensive the OCT tune is. I would definitely try to Negotiate the price a bit though, get rid of those wheels and Lower the stance by getting rid of the DRC system. Good luck with whatever you decide to do................................

bmwade
June 29th, 2012, 17:22
what about this one?
http://pacific.porschedealer.com/preowned/Audi/Rs6+4dr+Sdn+4.2l+Quattro+Awd/2003/GREY/grey/838824/info.php

It's nice but I'm on the other side of the country from it, plus it's stock which means its going to 'need' ECU/TCU tune and exaust :hahahehe: but it's definitely a back up option!

Brav
June 29th, 2012, 17:28
The flip side of an older car, is that most of the wearable items sometimes have already been recently replaced. And any gremlins have been shaken out.. maybe I am just jealous that you would have 125k less miles than me...

You could collect the RS6.. but if you drive it, defeats the point. Enjoy it and put miles on!

lswing
June 29th, 2012, 17:35
How's it drive? Should be a bat out of hell with the tune and mods...

Drive it as much as you can, scan for codes, it's easy to clear codes that hide a problem...you can also replace the DRC for $1k or so in parts and labor, the Koni's have been working good for some of us.

Does warranty cover a modded car?

bmwade
June 29th, 2012, 17:41
The flip side of an older car, is that most of the wearable items sometimes have already been recently replaced. And any gremlins have been shaken out.. maybe I am just jealous that you would have 125k less miles than me...

You could collect the RS6.. but if you drive it, defeats the point. Enjoy it and put miles on!

Oh I'm going to drive it! Probably daily for the sort term. Hopefully somewhere around 10k miles before I get a newish(08-09) A8.

vitalian
July 2nd, 2012, 17:07
My two cents:

If the asking price includes the warranty, and the warranty is comprehensive, then this is not a bad deal. (Just FYI, I paid over $4K for my warranty, and it has already saved me about $9K.)

I would be curious as to who has performed the work on the car so far. That is pretty much the highest rear end of any car I've seen that has had the DRC recall, which indicates to me that the shop may not have known what they were doing. (Mine had the DRC recall and is level, as it should be.) I am also curious as to why the timing belt was done early -- just due to age, perhaps?

bmwade
July 2nd, 2012, 17:41
My two cents:

If the asking price includes the warranty, and the warranty is comprehensive, then this is not a bad deal. (Just FYI, I paid over $4K for my warranty, and it has already saved me about $9K.)

I would be curious as to who has performed the work on the car so far. That is pretty much the highest rear end of any car I've seen that has had the DRC recall, which indicates to me that the shop may not have known what they were doing. (Mine had the DRC recall and is level, as it should be.) I am also curious as to why the timing belt was done early -- just due to age, perhaps?

Thanks for the input on the DRC. If I get it then I'm thinking I may do the coilovers basically right away. I assume timing belt was done to aid in sale ability & to keep the car in good shape, but the guy could always be giving me a line. I was noticing it has a loan on it that has not yet been paid off. I'm fairly concerned I about clear title as I've been burned before(fortunately on a much cheaper car). I much prefer buying from dealers for these reasons and I've tried to stay emotionally detached so I can walk away if he can't remedy things.

lswing
July 2nd, 2012, 17:59
When I sold my last car, and bought it actually, both deals were done at a bank since the title was owned by them and money owed. I liked it as it gives you a safe place to make the transaction, along with official records of sale by the bank. I would question the care of the car though with that wonky DRC job, hope they did the other labor well...

bmwade
July 2nd, 2012, 18:13
When I sold my last car, and bought it actually, both deals were done at a bank since the title was owned by them and money owed. I liked it as it gives you a safe place to make the transaction, along with official records of sale by the bank. I would question the care of the car though with that wonky DRC job, hope they did the other labor well...

I would feel better about that(and that's how I handled the sale of my Touareg V10) but he can only arrange to meet me next Sunday, which effectively eliminates the bank posibility. this whole deal is starting to feel fishy to me...I just want my beast already!!! Anyone know of others for sale that are east of the Mississippi with low miles and mods? I'm striking out on autotrader...

lswing
July 2nd, 2012, 18:17
Yep, bank or no deal, meet him Sunday and drive it a bunch...you must scan before buying, vag-com, sure you can find a shop that will do it.

The longer it takes to find a good one, you might save some money, I found a few 6 months later for a few thousand less, but i did get to enjoy those 6 months!

bmwade
July 2nd, 2012, 19:41
Just talked to seller, loan is taken care of. Looks like the precious will be mine! Now for some aluminum paddles and RNS-E and probably some coilovers!

vitalian
July 2nd, 2012, 19:49
Good luck with purchase! Fingers crossed that all goes well. And yes, coilovers are a must (no more "ride 'em cowboy" rear end!).

ben916
July 2nd, 2012, 19:55
(no more "ride 'em cowboy" rear end!).

cough... wha?!?

kismetcapitan
July 2nd, 2012, 22:44

that's exactly why I searched for cars with 75-80K miles. The big 75K service would have been done and it would either have the gremlins sorted or be a mess - the service record would show that.

And it did; I have the entire history of the car, every oil change receipt, everything. And after a year and 10K miles, it's stunningly reliable.

DRC recall = worthless. When I swapped out my DRC struts, one had a loose rod. That's after what, 20K miles?

My car doesn't look or drive like a 95,000 mile car, and it didn't cost anywhere near $36K. +1 for finding well-maintained 75K+ cars. The $15K you save goes a long way. This is assuming you want to actually drive the car however...I plan on hitting 200,000 miles at least with mine.

kismetcapitan
July 2nd, 2012, 22:47
cough... wha?!?

this kind of post-recall rear end:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/tobereeno/file-3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/tobereeno/file-4.jpg

Thank god I got those hideous wheel gaps sorted out. You can't even get a finger into the gap now.

ben916
July 2nd, 2012, 23:02
this kind of post-recall rear end:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/tobereeno/file-3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/tobereeno/file-4.jpg

Thank god I got those hideous wheel gaps sorted out. You can't even get a finger into the gap now.

Unfortunately, I have those hideous wheel gaps as I have the recalled DRC.
I did have the system repressurized and wouldn't ya know it, it raised the ass end up even more!!!
(I was secretly praying to the auditory paranoia gremlin gods that there really was a DRC issue)

I was at 4 fingers vertically right after the repressure, but "magically" has settled to three (two and 1/2 too many in my opinion)...

KW's or PSS9.... in the future.... lunch money being saved (in tribute to DHall1's statement)

lswing
July 2nd, 2012, 23:36
Koni's on the cheap, they work pretty darn good....$1k is on the cheap for this car apparently as it twists my sense of financial reality:)

bmwade
July 11th, 2012, 04:19
got her home today! 600 miles of bonding:incar: hit triple digits a couple of times in quick bursts but nothing too crazy! all i can say is I AM IN LOVE!!!!! her name is Sophia! named after Sophia Vergara(cause she's a bit older but still smoking hot!):jlol:

ben916
July 11th, 2012, 06:51
Congrats!

Now the mods starts...

bmwade
July 11th, 2012, 12:22
Yep! I think I'm gonna start with RNS-E, then do coilovers, then who knows!

vitalian
July 11th, 2012, 16:17
Congrats!

(Now where's Ozzie?)

Brav
July 11th, 2012, 18:48
that's exactly why I searched for cars with 75-80K miles. The big 75K service would have been done and it would either have the gremlins sorted or be a mess - the service record would show that.

And it did; I have the entire history of the car, every oil change receipt, everything. And after a year and 10K miles, it's stunningly reliable.

DRC recall = worthless. When I swapped out my DRC struts, one had a loose rod. That's after what, 20K miles?

My car doesn't look or drive like a 95,000 mile car, and it didn't cost anywhere near $36K. +1 for finding well-maintained 75K+ cars. The $15K you save goes a long way. This is assuming you want to actually drive the car however...I plan on hitting 200,000 miles at least with mine.

Thats basically what I did. No one believes my car has 155k on it. Some people think its a new model.. My car was a one owner documented car with a new upgraded TC. Aside from maintenance, I have just had an alternator and AC system that had to be replaced. At 150k miles, this should almost be expected maintenance. Otherwise my only major problem was the suction jet pump failure.. If I had a lot of extra funds, for sure I would have a lower mileage car under warranty. I however paid half of 36k for an 89k mile car under warranty to 100k..

Anywhoo- congrats on the purchase!! Be sure to get new wheels, or even stock, before/during your mod process, or expect to get banned!!!

lswing
July 11th, 2012, 19:02
or expect to get banned!!!

Tough, first the star thing now this:)......but those wheels belong on something else, some proper ones would be excellent!

Enjoy the car, love mine every day! And it's funny how people do think it's a newer model, great styling lasts...

bmwade
July 11th, 2012, 19:30
I know the rims aren't great, but they are not the top priority...I'm planning on RNS-E, Bluetooth, coilovers, aluminum shift paddles, then maybe some C6 rims.

lswing
July 11th, 2012, 19:32
You're supposed to have OUR priorities.....just kidding, have fun!

stubro
July 11th, 2012, 19:43
If I hadn;t been on vacation I could have said stop at my place in Tampa and I would have loaned you my stock rims :)