PDA

View Full Version : Radiator removal repair and install

crosswalk
June 27th, 2012, 22:00
Hi everyone! Great forum with amazing knowledge base! I have an Avus silver with black interior carbon trim '6, and SE exhaust. It's about to turn 80k the transmission/TC was just replaced by the dealer and is soon going back for inter coolers, valve cover gaskets, cam, crank seals and possibly turbos. (thank you warrantee).

Anyhow, the radiator leaked slowly from passenger side lower. I followed the bumper removal procedure and carefully removed all items required to get radiator out of the car. The left side has wire snap clips holding the hoses on, very easy to remove and reinstall. The tricky part is on the driver side, the core and driver end tank is aluminum, there are two hard pipes attached with flange that have very little play, they need to be removed with radiator all the way in, important part is leaving the lower one attached to radiator and removing the fitting downstream from radiator. The difference in radiators for our cars is the additional cooling hose nipple on the lower driver side, you must remove this downstream from radiator, which is easy then pull radiator out. So.... Both lower cooling and oil lines need to remain attached to radiator and removed downstream, thankfully those are very easy to reach.

Since I had nothing to loose except $1000 for a new radiator I took it to the largest radiator shop in the bayarea. They walked me through the whole process of carefully removing passenger side plastic end cap, fitting a new gasket where the old tattered cracked one and source of leak once was, pressing the cap with a press and using special tool to carefully bend tabs back to their original position. The repaired radiator held 35 psi much more than the 13-15 psi our radiators hold. All I did to purge air was to remove the small cooling hose on upper passenger side and wait for steady stream of coolant to flow through it and it blows hot.

It's back together and no leaks, this job gave me new appreciation for these cars, all the unique parts and engineering these vehicles contain is very cool. hope this helps someone.

Will report back to the forum with any updates, oh and remember to have your ac evacuated before you start this project.

Cheers!

kday
June 27th, 2012, 22:44
Nice, glad it worked out.

Weird that the radiator has one aluminum end tank and one plastic one.

Was the radiator shop able to use a standard gasket or did they have to make one?

ThrillHouse
June 27th, 2012, 23:03
You were luckier than me! I had split the lower right in the middle of our 3 special cores - the go to guy couldn't repair it to ensure longevity and quality. Ordered a dealership one and "sort" of lucked out. Their system said they had one in stock... Well, of course they didn't so when they had one delivered from Das Motherland they at least ate the delivery charge.

crosswalk
June 27th, 2012, 23:38
Nice, glad it worked out.

Weird that the radiator has one aluminum end tank and one plastic one.

Was the radiator shop able to use a standard gasket or did they have to make one?

Great question actually because they tried with a fatter one but the end cap wouldn't seat so they went down a size, we also used the original piece that separated the upper and lower half, going from front to back thick as the radiator, as it had ribs in it that kept it in place. I was surprised and wondering if it would hold but we had it in the tank for awhile unde high pressure,

The entire lower quarter of the gasket was literally cooked. I will post pix later

crosswalk
June 27th, 2012, 23:45
You were luckier than me! I had split the lower right in the middle of our 3 special cores - the go to guy couldn't repair it to ensure longevity and quality.

That's crazy! The main radiator right? The radiator failed catastrophically? Or was it a slow leak and it was traced to where it split?

hahnmgh63
June 28th, 2012, 01:08
There is also a coolant bleed fitting on the cooling pipe at the back of the right side engine bank by the firewall. A 10mm bolt that you loosen a little and let it bleed the Cooling system until you see a touch of Coolant come out.

crosswalk
June 28th, 2012, 03:23
There is also a coolant bleed fitting on the cooling pipe at the back of the right side engine bank by the firewall. A 10mm bolt that you loosen a little and let it bleed the Cooling system until you see a touch of Coolant come out.

Good tech bit, I think I wil do that just to be certain there is no air. Thank you

ThrillHouse
June 28th, 2012, 12:50
That's crazy! The main radiator right? The radiator failed catastrophically? Or was it a slow leak and it was traced to where it split?

It was fairly slow but constant. I only drove it to work then to the shop. It managed to lose 1 gal (or $25) of coolant in ~ 50 miles. Never got air in the system because I was watching and checking, just low on coolant.