PDA

View Full Version : Paging SteveKen... axle and trans mount questions

alrightroad
June 16th, 2012, 19:08
Steve, I am working on my allroad project planning. I have RS6 front aluminum subframe and aluminum uprights with hubs slated for allroad installation. The sole reason for this is weight reduction up front. If it gets too complicated I'll just fall back to the steel still on the car when I swap in the 01E.

Questions for you...
1. What platform/model front axle did you use with your 01E swap to fit the RS6 hubs?

2. I realize antilock is an issue with the 01E in the RS but do you know if the hub sensors are measuring correctly under your current setup?

3. Any special consideration on the 01E trans mounts given the RS6 sub frame? I have 034 street mounts and of course the 01E brackets. Just eyeballing the RS and allroad subframes, the two-bolt mount locations look identical but not sure of height, etc.

Alum uprights and all lightly used arms, calipers, rotors (with 200 miles), etc. The bearings have 55K original miles so I might slap some new ones in if I can find cheap. They spin freely and no noise/movement.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-B9X7GwQZJJM/T9opdfNevAI/AAAAAAAAAkI/KXCwSaa8xAc/s800/IMG_2871.JPG

The 'allroad' RS6 front alum subframe.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ADFamaK1928/T9op-vaafqI/AAAAAAAAAkY/ii5Revgc-IQ/s800/IMG_2794.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Justin9212
June 16th, 2012, 23:50
I know you can use the OE or After Market stock 6-Speed C5 A6, C5 Allroad axles and they will fit as they should.

SteveKen
June 17th, 2012, 04:53
1. What platform/model front axle did you use with your 01E swap to fit the RS6 hubs?

The stock axles from an A6 2.7T manual or Allroad 2.7T manual car should work. These are what I used on my S6 and RS6 conversions.

2. I realize antilock is an issue with the 01E in the RS but do you know if the hub sensors are measuring correctly under your current setup?

No, this is not the case. I'm pretty sure that this would show up via a VAG-COM scan. I assume that the OD of the outer CV joint cups are the same.

3. Any special consideration on the 01E trans mounts given the RS6 sub frame? I have 034 street mounts and of course the 01E brackets. Just eyeballing the RS and allroad subframes, the two-bolt mount locations look identical but not sure of height, etc.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that they will be interchangeable. Here is what I'm unsure of:

A. The 2.7T aluminum engine mount brackets might not work and you will be screwed.
B. In combination with the RS6 uprights, I'm not sure if the mounting areas for the lower control arms will require you to use the 2.7T LCAs or the RS6/S6 LCAs. I know for a fact that the front lower LCAs are different between the two.
C. The alignment holes might not line up for aligning the subframe
D. The trans mounts for the 4.2 engines are taller than the 2.7mounts. If this is due to the subframe, you might need some taller mounts to keep the drivetrain geometry happy.

I'm afraid it's trial and error and getting things apart and placing them side by side.

Additional thoughts on using the RS6 uprights and brakes:

You will need the RS6 flex brake lines.

Since the RS6 is considered a widebody, I'm not sure what the Allroad is considered? I've heard that the dimensions of the wide vs. narrow body uprights are the same and the only difference is the bearing inserts. You are forced to use complete assemblies (uprights, bearing inserts, rotors & brakes) so the only issue might be that the stock ET 35 wheels will stick out farther in the front than the back. I hope this makes some sense.

BTW, I'll be in Charleston on Monday afternoon to do some touristy things with the family. PM me with any recommendations on what to do in a short time. I'd like to do a carriage tour and go to Fort Sumpter, but I don't anticipate getting into town until early afternoon.

Also, I see you still have the RS6 belly pan metal mounting brackets on the subframe. I need a spare set. Wink. Wink.

alrightroad
June 18th, 2012, 02:57
Thanks, Steve. This helps a ton just to get a different angle and some confirmation on some of my assumptions. I'll stick with the allroad 6MT front axles... glad that will work.

Uprights... I have seen mention to the same thing. i.e., C5 platform being same body and upright measurements from a width standpoint but hubs and bearing assemblies being different widths. I know the allright uprights are different that all other C5 platforms though and I wont know exactly what this means until I have my allroad ones right next to the RS6 ones. I have also have full read S6 suspension assemblies with aluminum hubs. I bought these and the sellers said they were from an RS6... but when I received them I found out otherwise. Still working on sending them back for refund but the guy is playing hard ball. ugh. I have RS6 rear brakes as well. They will require only rear hub/bearing assembly swap into my existing allroad rear control arms so I think that is pretty straight forward (have RS6 lines wiht this also)>

Brakes... I have the RS6 brakes lines from the fronts. Even if I dont use the RS6 uprights the RS6 front calipers will bolt right up to the allroad hubs. Yet another question there is the RS6 rotors and will they fit if I have to fall back to using the existing allroad uprights.

The subframe/trans mounts/brackets, etc will certainly be a challenge. Wont know until I get everything on the floor side by side or up under the car with the alignment dowels.

Glad you will be in town for a short bit. I'll shoot you a PM.

Eric (not sure why I ended my first post with your name... odd).