PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Tiptronic problems RS6 C5

PatrickR
June 12th, 2012, 23:40
Sorry for the topic title, but this is really urgent.I have problems with my RS6 Avant from 2003.
In February, a new torque converter was placed, and the gearbox overhauled.

Now there are problems with the tranny since Friday, and next Sunday we start with 50 cars for a roadtrip to Italy (from the Netherlands) (eg for a charity to support).

The problems started with a rather abrupt way to switch back to 1.
Then it got worse, when i drove towards a red traffic light, let the car roll, and will accelerate again because it becomes green, the car revved, and he only "engaged gear" when the throttle is released. It also comes with a hard smack through the car when it engages gear.

Barely used the car and got it at the company where it was in February. And now he is completely cooked. On most crazy moments (driving away, acceleration orjust after switching gear) it doesn't engage gear. The motor revvs, but the car is not accelerating. Vagcom says at that moment that the torque converter is in "open" status. The blow (when the tranny comes into gear) is equivalent to switching the torque converter to "regulating" in VAGCOM.

What also is new since yesterday, when driving in Manual mode (I only drove the car in Manual since the problem started because the gear selecting is only when i want it to), the car suddenly went off selecting all gears, while we drove it at ~ 15km / h, the car would not go faster (no drive). He switched step by step from1 to 5, only on the display. Soon thereafter he went into Limp Mode.

The car is reset, and then with ~ 15kmu drove back to the garage (by the technician, this was during his test drive).
Who can help me? I need al info i can get to get the car on the starting grid by Sunday. The car shows no faults (no check engine light, vagcom has 0 errors), gearbox overhauled ~ 20,000 km ago. Torque converter was also newly installed.

lswing
June 13th, 2012, 00:18
Ugh....bummer, sounds like the TC and or Trans was done wrong....might just be low on fluid. They are tough to top off, make sure to check that right away.....

PatrickR
June 13th, 2012, 00:20
Thnx, 2 garages looked at the tranny fluid, the color is good, the smell is good, and the level is good ...

TozoM8
June 13th, 2012, 01:36
Too much endplay in the trans have the same sympthoms. There is a trust bearing behind the second clutch that brakes over time if the trans endplay wasn't shimmed right. It has to be rebuild again.

Amulet-S6
June 13th, 2012, 23:14
Too much endplay in the trans have the same sympthoms. There is a trust bearing behind the second clutch that brakes over time if the trans endplay wasn't shimmed right. It has to be rebuild again.

...This from a guy that knows tranny's

PatrickR
June 13th, 2012, 23:38
Thnx for your replies!
The car is still in the shop, phoned them twice today, just before they closed they told me they where test driving the car after placing a new 'brain' in the trans (not the TCU but the mechanical thing in the trans).
Will get an update in a hour of 8.... leaving me waiting by the phone.

June 14th, 2012, 15:44
Does it do it when cold? Or only when hot?

PatrickR
June 14th, 2012, 15:47
Both, bot more hot then cold...
Car won't be ready in time, start is on Sunday, finish (where the kids will be for a drive around the track with us) will be on Friday.
If everything goes allright, i hope to start on Sunday with a Golf MK V GTI ED30 and finish with the RS6, if its ready in time.

June 14th, 2012, 15:52
You can try what I did with mine if you haven't pulled the trans and just want to play this weekend. Drop the pan, pull the EDS1 solenoid (green solenoid) connector off and install a 5 ohm resistor (or 2 10's in parallel like I did). This forces the line pressure to high all the time and might be enough to get you through. I've got 250 miles of hard flogging on mine and it still works.

PatrickR
June 14th, 2012, 15:57
Our trip is ~ 2500KM ... so i won't take any chances ;)

June 17th, 2012, 00:11
How was the trip?