PDA

View Full Version : Can someone identify this noise I'm hearing.... I'm stumped

Tom Sawyer
June 12th, 2012, 00:05
I initially thought it might be DRC... but I don't think that is what it is. When the car is cold, no creaking noise. But as it warms up, it begins making this noise on take off (slow take off). I can't hear it on fast take off due to the screaming horses.

It doesn't seem to be a suspension thing as I can go over speed bumps with no noise and in general it does not make the noise when slow turning. I say in general because it will occationally, but mainly it is when I'm at a stop and take off normally. As the car heats up, it gets louder to more or less what you'll hear on this mp3.

Creaking Noise (http://www.octomac.com/files/CreakingNoise.mp3)

My car will be in tomorrow to wrap up a few loose ends with the 75k/TC service including replacing the leaky trans fluid sensor/harness and a trans service so he'll be looking at this. FWIW, didn't make this noise before the engine pull. The steering rack bolts were checked when the engine was out. Upper arm controls replaced ~4K miles ago.

Strange one for sure.... as always, greatly appreciate any insight.

Amulet-S6
June 12th, 2012, 00:23
Ummm.... Geiger counter?

Tom Sawyer
June 12th, 2012, 01:52
Nope, it was powered down...

And no mexican food lately either! :hihi:

4everRS
June 12th, 2012, 02:03
What area of the car is it coming from?

ben916
June 12th, 2012, 04:12
that ship creaking sound?

I kind of had the same sound from the front left and it was very odd that mine would sound a ton when cold outside and then nothing as the ambient air warmed up.
I had my DRC repressurized and presto gone-o... @ a retail value of $550 but I only paid $100

or someone with Control arm experiences could lend an ear...

Tom Sawyer
June 12th, 2012, 11:45
Exactly... the ship creaking sound. It's a bit difficult to isolate, but it is definitely from the front of the car, and for the most part sounds pretty much centered. Once it is at 'full volume', it sounds like it's coming from the 'transmission tunnel area'. My best guess so far has been the transmission mount. I'll post back with what they find today.

Hy Octane
June 12th, 2012, 17:20
Had something similar once.. was the exhaust banging against the heat shield..

Tom Sawyer
June 13th, 2012, 00:46
Mystery solved: The sub frame bolts had loosened a bit and as it heated up, the slight movement caused the creaking noise. Torqued back up and all is well.