PDA

View Full Version : Sonar DRL LED Projector Headlights Audi RS6 RS-6

1uglymug
June 11th, 2012, 02:55
Has anyone attempted to install these headlights?

http://www.tunersdepot.com/Lighting/Head-Lights-Assembly/Sonar--DRL-LED-Projector-Headlights--Black----02-04-Audi-RS6-RS-6-53470.html

I read a few other post and was able to remove the factory headlights easily, but I can not get the Sonar's in properly. It seems I am a few centimeters from having them in the right place.

Do I have to take the bumper off?

I am tempted to just clear the corners on the factory headlights, replace them back, and call it quits. Any thoughts?

Justin9212
June 11th, 2012, 04:42
I would never put those on my car. I have a customer that has them. They just don't look right. I am not a fan.

ben916
June 11th, 2012, 05:04
They look GREAT...... on an R8....

hahnmgh63
June 11th, 2012, 05:06
I second that, not on a RS6, looks too much like a wannabe. Also in the notes on the link page you had it says:

Will not fit with stock Xenon HID equipped headlights.

1uglymug
June 11th, 2012, 12:59
I would never put those on my car. I have a customer that has them. They just don't look right. I am not a fan.

Thank you for your honesty. I might bake the factory headlights, clear the corners, and just replace them with the euro look. This seemed like a good idea when I started...

lswing
June 11th, 2012, 16:10
My eyes...they burn......yep, maybe just clear out the stock ones, they work great too!

ntrcptr
June 12th, 2012, 08:16
Has anyone attempted to install these headlights?

http://www.tunersdepot.com/Lighting/Head-Lights-Assembly/Sonar--DRL-LED-Projector-Headlights--Black----02-04-Audi-RS6-RS-6-53470.html

I read a few other post and was able to remove the factory headlights easily, but I can not get the Sonar's in properly. It seems I am a few centimeters from having them in the right place.

Do I have to take the bumper off?

I am tempted to just clear the corners on the factory headlights, replace them back, and call it quits. Any thoughts?

gheettoo!

1uglymug
June 15th, 2012, 12:49
I attached a photo of the finished product. I ended up baking the headlights at 225 degrees for 5 minutes, clearing the corners as described in previous threads, and installing a set of stealth bulbs. I am actually surprised that so many did not light the LED lights. Its becoming standard for modern Audi cars to have them. I was trying to bring this beast to the 21st century. If nothing else, I am happy to have the yellow gone. Thank you for your input.

-ugly

bakes
June 15th, 2012, 13:00
I attached a photo of the finished product. I ended up baking the headlights at 225 degrees for 5 minutes, clearing the corners as described in previous threads, and installing a set of stealth bulbs. I am actually surprised that so many did not light the LED lights. Its becoming standard for modern Audi cars to have them. I was trying to bring this beast to the 21st century. If nothing else, I am happy to have the yellow gone. Thank you for your input.

-ugly

Looks great! Looks as though the front is entirely blacked out now. Mean looking. I am with you in that it would be nice to see what a set of LED's would do to the front. Thing is the aftermarket lights don't seem to present the led's in a quality way the factory versions do. Our cars with a slanted set of LED's in the headlights sure would look mean as we rapidly close in on what ever pray is ahead of us!! :addict:

lswing
June 15th, 2012, 15:59
The quality issue has been the worst part of the aftermarket LED's as bakes mentioned. If they made them to look good and perform it would be big difference. Looks good now!

yagey
June 18th, 2012, 05:49

-ugly

it's looking great! what does the baking do?

Dynmicracr
June 19th, 2012, 01:25
Looks WAY better. Makes me want to do mine. :)

How hard is it to remove the orange part? Did you have to break them out piece by piece?

1uglymug
June 19th, 2012, 04:42
Looks WAY better. Makes me want to do mine. :)

How hard is it to remove the orange part? Did you have to break them out piece by piece?

These are the two threads I followed below. Follow Nene's thread to a T to get the headlights out without taking off the bumper. They are a little tricky. Take your time. I could get my headlights out again in 5 minutes, but NOT the first time. Its a delicate operation and with a little frustration, you could tear your car up trying to yank them out. Move millimeters at a time until you figure out the jigsaw puzzle. Cover the bumper and headlight with a T-shirt, when appropriate, as you work. Tape your tools together so you don't drop anything in the engine bay.

Baking the headlights is a breeze compared to getting them out. Take off the clips.Place a wet piece of cardboard on top of a baking sheet. The cardboard prevents melting them to the rack. Oven to 225 degrees. 4-5 minutes first bake. 1 minute at a time as needed from there. Baking softens the polyurethane seal. Use a razor blade to cut as you pull them apart. I spent a lot of time trimming off the sealant after I got them apart… just trying to clean them as much as possible… one minute bake at a time and removed more goo.

The orange plastic piece pops out by breaking the clips. Touch as little as possible inside the headlights. Any fingerprints will be permanent once you put them back together. The silver brushes off with the slightest touch, so don't touch. Just clear the corners and get them back together.

Last but not least: stealth bulbs for the finish. http://www.stealthbulbs.com/

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24164-How-to-bake-headlights?highlight=DIY+headlights

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3862

Hope this helps!

repda503
June 19th, 2012, 07:03
whatever you do don't touch the chrome paint on the inside trim of the headlights. Ask me how I know...

Dynmicracr
June 19th, 2012, 19:29
Thanks for the great info! It does help. :)

Does anyone know what the correct bulb # is for our turn signals? I looked in the manual and it says to have a dealer do it. lol. Done a bit of searching and certain places like sylvania dont even list the front turn signal, only the rear.

I keep finding 3457 but then some sites say that is the side marker.

EDIT:

NM Got it. It is the 3457
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24457-Stealth-Bulbs?highlight=front+turn+signal+bulb

June 21st, 2012, 19:45
Love that look.

1uglymug
June 21st, 2012, 21:20
Love that look.

Thanks! The headlights definitely look better.

I am on the list for a carbon fiber lip which should finish off the front.

The grill is plasti-dipped so I have the option of changing it back to silver.

A Euro Plate for the front is on the way as well. I will have to see how that looks.

1uglymug
June 22nd, 2012, 19:26
Euro plate came today.

bakes
June 22nd, 2012, 20:53
Euro plate came today.

any meaning of what is on the euro plate?

1uglymug
June 22nd, 2012, 21:02
any meaning of what is on the euro plate?

Nope, just the same number thats on the back… I blurred a couple numbers/letters… seems to be the trend online. I am not sure why everyone blurs their license number online. I guess for security.

I do not have signature plates on the back… couldn't think of anything clever when I went to the BMV.

BTW, I like your front spoiler. Great looking beast!

:addict:

Stephencl
June 23rd, 2012, 03:46
Stunning ride.....

ntrcptr
June 23rd, 2012, 06:08
Euro plate came today.
you can use euro plates in US.? Where to order?::vhmmm::0:

1uglymug
June 23rd, 2012, 07:59
you can use euro plates in US.? Where to order?::vhmmm::0:

http://www.customeuropeanplates.com/