PDA

View Full Version : Outside temperature display accurate?

SFJ_RS6
June 11th, 2012, 02:30
I'm curious what others see with this.

My outside temp display consistently reads about 10 or more degrees high. I've checked and the temperature sensor behind the lower grill is properly in place in its holder. I know there is a lot of heat in that area due to the oil cooler and radiator.

Even driving for a while with ambient temp air blowing on it does not seem to resolve the inaccurately high temp.

My other Audis are fairly accurate. Is there perhaps a way to calibrate the display?

Thanks,
Steve

marklar182
June 11th, 2012, 13:15
I notice the same! Haven't really dug into it though.

Dmb408
June 11th, 2012, 15:51
My old RS4 was frequently, exactly 10 degrees or so off too, intermittently. Of course, the day I finally found time to take it in to have it looked at (it was wrong on the way in), it read right when the tech looked at it. I was out of there with a car wash and some time wasted.

alrightroad
June 11th, 2012, 15:58
Same issue with mine. My allroad is accurate and the RS6 is always at least 10 high.

lswing
June 11th, 2012, 16:02
Big hot engine right next to it? Mine is always 5-10 high...

Justin9212
June 12th, 2012, 03:49
Mine is always 5-7 degrees high. I'll look into what it would take to bring it closer to actual. Maybe a resistor, or just a setting in Vag-Com.

SFJ_RS6
June 12th, 2012, 03:55
It's possible there is a variable resistor in the circuit that could be adjusted to calibrate the display so it's more accurate. If there is, I'd guess it's a component on the circuit board for the instrument panel displays. i haven't had occasion to take the IP apart to look....

It would be much easier if it could be controlled by a value set in Vag-Com.

mrdave
June 12th, 2012, 14:05
I've noticed the same thing and that it's also related to engine temp. When I first turn on my car the temp display is fairly accurate. After I'm driving for a while it consistently reads 5-10 deg warmer than actual.

Does anyone know where the temp sensor is located?

Hy Octane
June 12th, 2012, 17:17
Same for everyone.. One of the first complaints we had as new owners..Its a result of poor placement. There is nothing you can do short of relocating it elsewhere..

kday
June 12th, 2012, 17:56
If there's only one ambient air temperature sensor, it's mounted in the oil cooler duct on the left side.

SFJ_RS6
June 13th, 2012, 04:06
There is only one, and that's where it's located ^^. Unfortunately close to the engine oil/transmission fluid cooler at the bottom front of the radiator.