PDA

View Full Version : Next TT.

The Pretender
June 10th, 2012, 22:17
With all the management changes within Audi AG i hope to see a retro design TT 3.
Something like VW did with the new Beetle.

This is still the best render in that direction IMHO.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3739/auditthuckfeldt.jpg

Joker
June 11th, 2012, 15:51
^Now that's was I call a forward thinking design. If Audi give us a TT looking like that then I will think they've lost the plot.

Do you really want to undo all the good work of the Mk2?

The Pretender
June 11th, 2012, 16:18
The next TT will most likely look like a A3 coupe anyway with A1 headlights and A4 rear lights and a single frame grill from ... take your pick.
It will most likely look like any other boring Audi out there put together from the part bin.

tailpipe
June 11th, 2012, 17:42
Pretender and Joker,

I think you're both right. The Mk 1 TT was a stunning piece of design. Truly shocking (in a nice way) it totally changed the coupe market. The only pity was the lack of rear downforce. Adding the spoiler spoiled its clean lines. Nevertheless, it was a hugely desirable car that was quick and comfortable. Let's not forget the interior either. Amazing.

I was very scared about what the Mk 2 TT would be like. I needn't have worried. It was a worthy successor in many ways. Overall it corrected many of the Mk 1's deficiencies while being true to the overall concept of the Mk 1 and incorporating the new single frame grille well. The TT-RS is an amazing car.

I would like to see a return to Bauhaus simplicity with the Mk 3, but the next TT cannot be retro. I think it needs to move the brand's styling in a new direction or least be original. The Mk 1 TT never blended-in with the rest of the range, so I don't see why the Mk3 has to. I want curvaceous muscular surfaces pulled together by taught sharp lines. The single frame grille needs to begin the next stage of metamorphosis. The interior must also re-invent the category and if it is going to incorporate rear seats, these must at least be safe if not comfortable.

Dynamically, I want a car that will blitz the Porsche Boxter, so a more powerful 5-cylinder TFSI is definitely required. I also want a weight reduction, so more aluminium is also needed. Finally, it should incorporate some new tech that hasn't been seen before.

The stillborn Audi Quattro Coupe Concept was definitely a step in the right direction: it ticked many of the above boxes. The really difficult requirement was to mount the 5-cylinder unit longitudinally. What about a rear-engined TT instead, maybe the R5 has evolved into the TT and that's what we'll get.

Whatever happens, I eagerly await this car. It should be great whatever it offers.

In many ways the new TT has to be a junior R8.

The Pretender
June 11th, 2012, 18:05
Have no interest in a mid engined TT, it will be as useless as the R8.
The fact of a front engine and a big hatch make the TT (RS) useable for every day.
The next TT will be ± 60 Kg lighter and the RS will have at least 380 hp.
With all the changes going on in the Audi top everything is up in the air.
Michael Dick said the next TT would be a mix of Mk1 and Mk2, but he is out and that means things could change.
The fact that the TT Mk1 was a oddly duck in the Audi Range made it special.

My advise to Audi would be: make the next TT Bauhaus/Retro style and make it special again.

This way they could build the R5 in any style they like and create two different sportcars in the same category based on price and power.

Let the TT be a real TT with all her TT-ness and not make it a 10 in the dozen Audi.

The RS6
June 11th, 2012, 22:47
This way they could build the R5 in any style they like and create two different sportcars in the same category based on price and power.

Hmm you do realize that will never happen? There's no way they will develop two cars which would be in the same category...that's double the cost of development, and the sales would be more or less the same...

The Pretender
June 12th, 2012, 03:34
The next TT will be MQP based so the floorplan of every transverse VAG car of the future.
The R5 would have a floorplan based on the next Gen R8/Gallardo or a Porsche floorplan.
The TT will be front engined with rear seats, the R5 could be a mid engined two seater.
Two compleet different cars for two complete different category of people and wishes.
Where only the R5 and TT RS are in the same power and price range, other TT's would be less expensive.