PDA

View Full Version : Country driving, hitting the curves

lswing
June 10th, 2012, 07:09
Well, got a few hundred miles of back country in this weekend, and I can say there was no disappointing. Basically coast range back roads of Oregon is where the action took place. The Koni Sports have made a world of difference, very predictable, bit firm at times even though I run them on full soft. Small edges can be harsh, but the carving ability of the corners is just great. With the AWD, decent tires, and the power all there I could just carve through the corners at will. Drove in tip the whole time, it's the only way when on the back roads. I've also been letting off the throttle a bit, when shifting, almost like a manual, to make the shift smoother and ease the pressure on the clutches.

Did the same trip twice, basically four mountains each way, so 16 hill climbs gave some good time to dial it in!

Made some adjustments to boost and timing between drives, and really found a nice level of lower boost and more timing. The car doesn't hit as hard in the low rpm's, but man does is pull hard up to 6k, just sweet!

Here's a pic out in the wilds...:addict:

kismetcapitan
June 10th, 2012, 07:16
enjoyed a similar drive last night, although the dark made it a bit spooky. The dragstrip in Nashville is in the boonies, and it's all winding country roads to get there. When I left, a Lancer Evo was in front of me and he decided to REALLY attack the roads. These have some hairpins and it can be pretty tricky in parts. But I just stuck to his tail the whole way (marked 35mph, we were doing double that). While his car was designed for rally handling, I was pleased to see that my car could keep the pace, without ever getting any understeer or squealing tires.

And then of course, once we hit the interstate, I showed him where the RS6 really shines, passed him on the onramp and left him eating Audi dust :D

lswing
June 10th, 2012, 07:31
Nice man, sounds like a good drive! One of my runs was at night, got a little to close to some deer, braked down to 30 and they didn't hop in front luckily, whew! I did find a few flat spots to open things up also, and I could see how someone could fly along the Autobahn at 120 for an afternoon...