PDA

View Full Version : Showing you my project, and asking a few questions...

AudiA4_20T
June 8th, 2012, 12:00
Ok guys, I just picked up an RS6 motor for a good deal, and will be putting it into a B6 chassis with an 01E. Hold your "Don't do that, it'll never fit, etc etc comments" and I had a few questions...

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/AudiA4_18T/e4ac8553.jpg

1. I sold the turbos off it to save some money back on my purchase. I was thinking about getting those MTM headgaskets and doing some Tial 770s. Thoughts? If not, I'd be doing maybe the JHM RS6-R. What extra things do I need to run them?

2. What maintenance things should I do now that the motor is out?

3. What are specific things that go bad on these? I think I'm in better shape than most without the auto trans, front brakes, and DRC.

4. I know everyone worries about cooling on these. Does anyone with bigger turbos have problems cooling everything down?

TIA

Justin9212
June 8th, 2012, 13:49
I bet it fits like a glove. I love it. Please keep the thread up to date as things progress. You have a HP goal in mind?

AudiA4_20T
June 8th, 2012, 14:01
I bet it fits like a glove. I love it. Please keep the thread up to date as things progress. You have a HP goal in mind?

Honestly no. I had a 600hp A4 1.8T before this, and then I just finished up a B6 S4 2.7T swap. When you make high HP, things break, and unless you have a fat wallet to keep pulling out, it gets in the way of normal life, which sucks. So, I'd like to keep things easy, maybe 500-600whp and call it a day. When I'm making crazy money maybe I'll go crazy.

I'm really indecisive on turbos though. I think the Tial 770s would be great, but I haven't seen anything here on them. I'm a little worried about the hotsides (.55 for spool on the 2.7T) but maybe that'll make for a really fun car?

kday
June 8th, 2012, 17:18
Cool project. Very ambitious.

Here's my list of things I'll be doing to my engine when it comes out as part of my 01E swap. I've already done the timing belt and thermostat.

- Remove SAI system
- Replace oil cooler pipe with metal Bufkin piece; replace seals
- Front O2 sensors & EGT sensors (maybe)
- Suction pump under intake manifold: 058133753D (likes to crack & leak lots of vacuum)
- New wastegate hoses
- Finish removing auxiliary radiator plumbing
- Valve cover gaskets
- Vacuum hoses
- Any other hoses at back of engine
- Rear main seal (? - haven't found a part #)

SteveKen
June 8th, 2012, 17:29
I admire your swap repertoire thus far.

The exhaustive list by kday is pretty good.

Since it's out, I'd consider looking at replacing or refreshing the cam tensioner adjusters. At least replace the guides.

I'd love to hear how you integrated the Me7.1 from the 2.7T to the Me7.5 of the B6.

Otherwise you can immediately sell the ECU to put towards a standalone system since you might be better off trying to integrate bigger turbos and the B6 cluster by going that route.

IMO, anything other than stock turbos is uncharted territory.

Best of luck and I can't wait to see your progress.

Feel free to PM me about the 01E conversion as it's got the same difficulty level as the rest of your project. (Unless you have a kit at your disposal, wink wink)

Aronis
June 8th, 2012, 17:30
cam seals

AudiA4_20T
June 8th, 2012, 18:32
I admire your swap repertoire thus far.

The exhaustive list by kday is pretty good.

Since it's out, I'd consider looking at replacing or refreshing the cam tensioner adjusters. At least replace the guides.

I'd love to hear how you integrated the Me7.1 from the 2.7T to the Me7.5 of the B6.

Otherwise you can immediately sell the ECU to put towards a standalone system since you might be better off trying to integrate bigger turbos and the B6 cluster by going that route.

IMO, anything other than stock turbos is uncharted territory.

Best of luck and I can't wait to see your progress.

Feel free to PM me about the 01E conversion as it's got the same difficulty level as the rest of your project. (Unless you have a kit at your disposal, wink wink)

Steve,

I'll fill you in on wiring when we talk. Everything is 100% OEM functional except Cruise Control (which can be I'm just too lazy). If I did this swap I would keep the OEM ECU

Unless I'm missing something, It seems that the RS6 crowd pays MTM and Loba absurd amounts for turbos that can be found here?

Anyways I know about your kit, you'll get a PM soon enough

ThrillHouse
June 8th, 2012, 18:54
In addition to kday's list the post run coolant pump under the intake manifold with the suction pump. They like to go bad and its a long, hard r&r of the intake manifold

mgoblue
June 8th, 2012, 18:55
What are you going to do about fueling?

AudiA4_20T
June 8th, 2012, 19:49
What are you going to do about fueling?

Get a big fuel pump and some injectors?

AudiA4_20T
June 9th, 2012, 19:53
How much are those MTM head spacers?

4everRS
June 9th, 2012, 21:08
Loba turbos are a known piece that has proven to work for a few UK owners.

You will waste your time trying to get that power without custom exhaust manifolds. I think MRC tuning makes a set that has had good success.

AudiA4_20T
June 9th, 2012, 21:27

You will waste your time trying to get that power without custom exhaust manifolds. I think MRC tuning makes a set that has had good success.

Appreciate the info but 700whp has been made with stock 2.7T manifolds I'm not too worried

ben916
June 9th, 2012, 21:58

This^^^

The RS6 motor and the 2.7 motor are completely different so referencing hp gains, boost, etc are irrelevant to the topic and your task at hand. Many of the RS6 owners are clearly aware of the Stage 1,2,3 of the 2.7. Focus on the RS6 motor and the turbos and the ECU as that is going to be your biggest challenges.

Oh and how to code out the "marriage" of the RS6 motor to the HP24 trans. If this was figured out, there would be a mass exodus away from the slush box auto box...

Good luck and many are watching this thread for your success!

speedtrapped
June 10th, 2012, 00:59
Nawce...... As I have never sold my engine, I wish u god speed. I have a long time horizon and other toys to keep me busy. But I would like to jam my RS6 engine into a 4.2 allroad.
Good luck and look forward to your progress

AudiA4_20T
June 10th, 2012, 19:55
This^^^

The RS6 motor and the 2.7 motor are completely different so referencing hp gains, boost, etc are irrelevant to the topic and your task at hand. Many of the RS6 owners are clearly aware of the Stage 1,2,3 of the 2.7. Focus on the RS6 motor and the turbos and the ECU as that is going to be your biggest challenges.

Oh and how to code out the "marriage" of the RS6 motor to the HP24 trans. If this was figured out, there would be a mass exodus away from the slush box auto box...

Good luck and many are watching this thread for your success!

Why are they completely different? They have the same designs honestly other than the block...

Just like a 2.7 is basically a 1.8T with a few extra cylinders and an extra turbo. Audi doesn't like changing too much

Aronis
June 10th, 2012, 21:19
What did you do to get 600 HP out of the 1.8 liter ???

I have a 2.0 T cabrio and would love some more HP..

Mike

AudiA4_20T
June 10th, 2012, 21:55
What did you do to get 600 HP out of the 1.8 liter ???

I have a 2.0 T cabrio and would love some more HP..

Mike

To put it extremely simply:

- 35R billet wheel
- built bottom end (bored, stroked, forged everything)
- built head (cams, valves, retainers)
- exhaust, turbo kit, fmic, clutch, etc etc etc

jibberjive
November 19th, 2012, 15:53
Clint, is this still on the docket for you?

AudiA4_20T
November 19th, 2012, 16:09
Clint, is this still on the docket for you?

Well, work is moving me to CO. Coupled with the fact that the RS6 motor would cost at the minimum $2k (adapter plate) to get working and the space constraints in the B6 it's back up for sale.

However, my next project will be an C5 A6 4.2 motor with a 6466 or 6766. Probably will use 2 AEB intake manifolds and a custom plenum, should be pretty beast. Not sure when that's going to happen. I did look at the RS6 motor yesterday though, wish I had more time, it'd probably be sitting in something already